The Appeal by John Grisham

The Appeal (2008)

by John Grisham

English (115)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (119)
Grisham tends to write rather formulaic novels, but this one is not like the others. However, I refuse to tell you why as it would spoil the ending. The plot revolves around how big corporations manipulate judicial elections to promulgate their pro-business agendas -- this is a timely novel of political intrigue. What's scary is that is happening every day. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Didn't enjoy this book but it does highlight how corruptive the legal system is. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I have read numerous John Grisham books and have continued to pick them up because I have enjoyed them. I have always found his books to a be an entertaining and easy read. Once I pick up the book, I usually have to keep reading until the end. With this book, I was bored by page two. The book is about the big bad company that poisons the water of the unsuspecting small town. The company is bad, bad, bad, and the small town villagers are good, good, good. The lawyers for the company are BAD and the lawyers for the small town are GOOD. Grisham does show how there are good lawyers and bad lawyers and demonstrates how important the legal system is for the regular person. He goes into politics and I think that his message was too slanted and over the top. Of course he can write a book that shows his point of view, but come on already. We get it, big company = evil. Voting for judges = bad. Us poor unsuspecting little people are easily manipulated by big bad politicians (who happened to be conservatives).
After forcing myself to finish the book, I had to think, is this book just so much more over the top and obvious than the others or have I just changed. I've probably just changed. In Grisham's defense, there some good parts and also some good points to his book. I'm sure he meant to say that there is corruption on both sides of the political spectrum (not just the right). That it important for all judges to look at each case indiviually (not just the conservative ones) and that all political figures can be influenced by those who finance their campaigns.
And I'm sure he meant to say that yes some doctors/ companies etc do make mistakes and should be held accountable, but there are also some punitive awards that are excessive. Balance and moderation should be the goal instead of extremes from either side. ( )
  mtunquist | Nov 29, 2015 |
  mtunquist | Nov 29, 2015 |
The book leaves you in shock. It makes you think about the systems that are in place and their effectiveness. It makes you wonder how man people are out there who suffer as a consequence of one person's unending greed.

John Grisham has written the book well. I agree that the book sometimes get boring so that you can just skip some pages. Dont expect a happy ending. And thats where i absolutely liked the book. Had the writer turned this into a happy ending, the book would have been a absolute disaster. It gives us realty not fantasy. ( )
  meetpraj | Nov 24, 2015 |
To Professor Robert C. Khayat
The jury was ready.
The law's greatest responsibility is to protect the weakest members of our society. Rich people can usually take care of themselves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385515049, Hardcover)

As the author of twenty bestselling books, John Grisham has set the standard for legal thrillers since the debut of The Firm in 1991. Enjoy this Q&A--as well as a personal note to Amazon readers--from John Grisham.

1. Your new novel starts off where most courtroom dramas end--with the verdict. Where did you get the idea to reverse the usual order of events this time around?
The actual trial is not a terribly significant part of the story. Most all of the action and intrigue begins after the trial is over, with the verdict and the subsequent appeal.

2. The Appeal overtly suggests that elected judges can be bought. If the novel is meant as a cautionary tale, what's next--the Presidential primaries?
Why not? Over one billion dollars will be spent next year in the Presidential primaries and general election. With that kind of money floating around, anything can be bought.

3. Speaking of electoral politics, you've been more vocal recently about your political views ... first supporting Jim Webb for Senate and now endorsing Hillary Clinton for the White House. Have you given any thought to running for office yourself?
No. I made that mistake 25 years ago, and promised myself I would never do it again. I enjoy watching and participating in politics from the sidelines, but it's best to keep some distance.

4. This is your first legal thriller in three years. How did it feel to get back to the genre that started it all, and can fans expect another thriller from you next year?
I still enjoy writing the legal thrillers, and don't plan to get too far away from them. Obviously, they have been very good to me, and they remain popular. I plan to write one a year for the next several years.

5. Your nonfiction book The Innocent Man continues to be a bestseller in paperback. In your ongoing work with The Innocence Project, have you come across another story of the wrongfully convicted that begs to be written as nonfiction?
There are literally hundreds of great stories out there about wrongfully convicted defendants. I am continually astounded by these stories, and I resist the temptation to take the plunge again into non-fiction.

6. What's on your bedside reading list at the moment?
1. The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
2. Eric Clapton's autobiography
3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:24 -0400)

Wall street millionaire Carl Trudeau purchases an unsuspecting Mississippi State Supreme Court judge candidate when a lower court rules against one of his chemical companies for dumping toxic waste into a small town's water supply causing a cancer cluster.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,851,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible