The Appeal by John Grisham

The Appeal (2008)

by John Grisham

English (111)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (115)
The book leaves you in shock. It makes you think about the systems that are in place and their effectiveness. It makes you wonder how man people are out there who suffer as a consequence of one person's unending greed.

John Grisham has written the book well. I agree that the book sometimes get boring so that you can just skip some pages. Dont expect a happy ending. And thats where i absolutely liked the book. Had the writer turned this into a happy ending, the book would have been a absolute disaster. It gives us realty not fantasy. ( )
  meetpraj | Nov 24, 2015 |
I'm a big fan of Grisham and I did enjoy this. It was different and surprising. The bad guys won in this one. ( )
  shesinplainview | Jul 28, 2015 |
A well written book that keep you changing sides for who you want to see come out on top. It's the mark of a good writer who can engage you into both sides. (Spoiler alert) Not the feel-good fairy tale ending that the author seemed to be setting you up for; that would have been too cliche'; but more like reality so kudos there. ( )
  skraft001 | Jul 12, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This book made me question my own political leanings and which party I will likely vote for in the future. I don't know if that was Grisham's intention, but it's a very interesting (and a little sad) book. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
To Professor Robert C. Khayat
The jury was ready.
The law's greatest responsibility is to protect the weakest members of our society. Rich people can usually take care of themselves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385515049, Hardcover)

As the author of twenty bestselling books, John Grisham has set the standard for legal thrillers since the debut of The Firm in 1991. Enjoy this Q&A--as well as a personal note to Amazon readers--from John Grisham.

1. Your new novel starts off where most courtroom dramas end--with the verdict. Where did you get the idea to reverse the usual order of events this time around?
The actual trial is not a terribly significant part of the story. Most all of the action and intrigue begins after the trial is over, with the verdict and the subsequent appeal.

2. The Appeal overtly suggests that elected judges can be bought. If the novel is meant as a cautionary tale, what's next--the Presidential primaries?
Why not? Over one billion dollars will be spent next year in the Presidential primaries and general election. With that kind of money floating around, anything can be bought.

3. Speaking of electoral politics, you've been more vocal recently about your political views ... first supporting Jim Webb for Senate and now endorsing Hillary Clinton for the White House. Have you given any thought to running for office yourself?
No. I made that mistake 25 years ago, and promised myself I would never do it again. I enjoy watching and participating in politics from the sidelines, but it's best to keep some distance.

4. This is your first legal thriller in three years. How did it feel to get back to the genre that started it all, and can fans expect another thriller from you next year?
I still enjoy writing the legal thrillers, and don't plan to get too far away from them. Obviously, they have been very good to me, and they remain popular. I plan to write one a year for the next several years.

5. Your nonfiction book The Innocent Man continues to be a bestseller in paperback. In your ongoing work with The Innocence Project, have you come across another story of the wrongfully convicted that begs to be written as nonfiction?
There are literally hundreds of great stories out there about wrongfully convicted defendants. I am continually astounded by these stories, and I resist the temptation to take the plunge again into non-fiction.

6. What's on your bedside reading list at the moment?
1. The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
2. Eric Clapton's autobiography
3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:24 -0400)

Wall street millionaire Carl Trudeau purchases an unsuspecting Mississippi State Supreme Court judge candidate when a lower court rules against one of his chemical companies for dumping toxic waste into a small town's water supply causing a cancer cluster.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,889,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible