The Appeal by John Grisham

The Appeal (original 2008; edition 2008)

by John Grisham

English (107)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (111)
This book made me question my own political leanings and which party I will likely vote for in the future. I don't know if that was Grisham's intention, but it's a very interesting (and a little sad) book. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
This was a great read as all of John Grisham's novels are and have been! There were a few there that weren't so great so I stopped reading them and then I recently ran into The Racketeer...and guess what? They are getting back to great! Woo Hoo! I love this author and highly recommend him to anybody who likes lawyer, crime, court and murder books. Like James Patterson (not lawyer, but crime) and Brad Metzer! Both great recommend authors! ( )
  diananagy | Jul 10, 2014 |
A depressingly realistic portrayal of the justice system today.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
This is the first Grisham book I ve read for a while.
Story is a small town law firm sue a big evil empire. They win and are awarded damages. The big evil empire appeal and are very sneaky.
The main part of this story is how the company that was sued is very clever in buying votes and getting their own people elected into the court.
To be honest even though there are alot of characters and its a long process I enjoyed this book . The end was a surprise. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Mar 13, 2014 |
Depressing! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
To Professor Robert C. Khayat
The jury was ready.
The law's greatest responsibility is to protect the weakest members of our society. Rich people can usually take care of themselves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385515049, Hardcover)

As the author of twenty bestselling books, John Grisham has set the standard for legal thrillers since the debut of The Firm in 1991. Enjoy this Q&A--as well as a personal note to Amazon readers--from John Grisham.

1. Your new novel starts off where most courtroom dramas end--with the verdict. Where did you get the idea to reverse the usual order of events this time around?
The actual trial is not a terribly significant part of the story. Most all of the action and intrigue begins after the trial is over, with the verdict and the subsequent appeal.

2. The Appeal overtly suggests that elected judges can be bought. If the novel is meant as a cautionary tale, what's next--the Presidential primaries?
Why not? Over one billion dollars will be spent next year in the Presidential primaries and general election. With that kind of money floating around, anything can be bought.

3. Speaking of electoral politics, you've been more vocal recently about your political views ... first supporting Jim Webb for Senate and now endorsing Hillary Clinton for the White House. Have you given any thought to running for office yourself?
No. I made that mistake 25 years ago, and promised myself I would never do it again. I enjoy watching and participating in politics from the sidelines, but it's best to keep some distance.

4. This is your first legal thriller in three years. How did it feel to get back to the genre that started it all, and can fans expect another thriller from you next year?
I still enjoy writing the legal thrillers, and don't plan to get too far away from them. Obviously, they have been very good to me, and they remain popular. I plan to write one a year for the next several years.

5. Your nonfiction book The Innocent Man continues to be a bestseller in paperback. In your ongoing work with The Innocence Project, have you come across another story of the wrongfully convicted that begs to be written as nonfiction?
There are literally hundreds of great stories out there about wrongfully convicted defendants. I am continually astounded by these stories, and I resist the temptation to take the plunge again into non-fiction.

6. What's on your bedside reading list at the moment?
1. The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
2. Eric Clapton's autobiography
3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:52 -0400)

Wall street millionaire Carl Trudeau purchases an unsuspecting Mississippi State Supreme Court judge candidate when a lower court rules against one of his chemical companies for dumping toxic waste into a small town's water supply causing a cancer cluster.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible