The Appeal by John Grisham

The Appeal (original 2008; edition 2008)

by John Grisham

Member:thekoolaidmom
Title:The Appeal
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Doubleday (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:borrowed, Read but unowned
Tags:belief, campaign corruption, cancer, chemical dumping, child molesters, conservative, corporate corruption, corporate law, courtroom, crime, death penalty, EPA, gay rights, goverment, government corruption, gun control, homosexuality, illegal campaigning,

The Appeal by John Grisham (2008)

English (118)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (123)
Whilst not quite as good as The Broker it was still a good tale of litigation, seedy campaign finance and greed.

Towards the end you get the feeling how it's going to end however the ending is not quite as expected, which is always nice. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Mar 5, 2017 |
Uno de los mejores si no es el mejor libro de John Grisham.

Nada que agregar. ( )
  CarlosBazzano | Feb 21, 2017 |
A Mississippi town becomes a "cancer cluster" thanks to irresponsible toxic waste dumping by a chemical company that has since pulled up roots in the area. Several high value law suits are filed by small town lawyers, and the initial verdict is a windfall, with many more cases to follow.

This is a tale of them getting squashed by big money, big industry, and their lobbying dollars.

In orchestrating their success, the chemical company, their egomaniacal owner, and out-of-state political interests combine to rig the appeal from the ground-up, going as far as to arrange the replacement of a potentially sympathetic state supreme court justice with a owned puppet. As he is wont to do, Grisham gives us hope -- the puppet suddenly finds himself in the position of victim when his son suffers brain injury from an ball hit from a metal bat that had been recalled because of safety concerns. But in the end, the puppet masters get what they want, and the reader is just left pissed off that even such a hypothetical situation could conceivably happen. Kudos to Grisham for making it seem so plausible. ( )
  JeffV | Aug 7, 2016 |
From Amazon:

In a crowded courtroom in Mississippi, a jury returns a shocking verdict against a chemical company accused of dumping toxic waste into a small town’s water supply, causing the worst “cancer cluster” in history. The company appeals to the Mississippi Supreme Court, whose nine justices will one day either approve the verdict—or reverse it.

The chemical company is owned by a Wall Street predator named Carl Trudeau, and Mr. Trudeau is convinced the Court is not friendly enough to his interests. With judicial elections looming, he decides to try to purchase himself a seat on the Court. The cost is a few million dollars, a drop in the bucket for a billionaire like Mr. Trudeau. Through an intricate web of conspiracy and deceit, his political operatives recruit a young, unsuspecting candidate. They finance him, manipulate him, market him, and mold him into a potential Supreme Court justice. Their Supreme Court justice.

My Thoughts:

I wanted to like this story, but I felt the good guy characters-particularly the attorneys for the Paytons, were annoying. They were a little too perfect, a little too altruistic... It was very saccharine. The Paytons were both such "goody-two-shoes" that I didn't identify with them at all. Ironically, I liked the antics of the evil villains more because at least their plots and plans were entertaining. Overall this was a decent book, but I found the simplistic character development aggravating. Better luck next time John. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Grisham tends to write rather formulaic novels, but this one is not like the others. However, I refuse to tell you why as it would spoil the ending. The plot revolves around how big corporations manipulate judicial elections to promulgate their pro-business agendas -- this is a timely novel of political intrigue. What's scary is that is happening every day. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
To Professor Robert C. Khayat
The jury was ready.
The law's greatest responsibility is to protect the weakest members of our society. Rich people can usually take care of themselves.

porque los jueces
no deben ser electos
por voto gente
(gneo flavio)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385515049, Hardcover)

As the author of twenty bestselling books, John Grisham has set the standard for legal thrillers since the debut of The Firm in 1991. Enjoy this Q&A--as well as a personal note to Amazon readers--from John Grisham.

1. Your new novel starts off where most courtroom dramas end--with the verdict. Where did you get the idea to reverse the usual order of events this time around?
The actual trial is not a terribly significant part of the story. Most all of the action and intrigue begins after the trial is over, with the verdict and the subsequent appeal.

2. The Appeal overtly suggests that elected judges can be bought. If the novel is meant as a cautionary tale, what's next--the Presidential primaries?
Why not? Over one billion dollars will be spent next year in the Presidential primaries and general election. With that kind of money floating around, anything can be bought.

3. Speaking of electoral politics, you've been more vocal recently about your political views ... first supporting Jim Webb for Senate and now endorsing Hillary Clinton for the White House. Have you given any thought to running for office yourself?
No. I made that mistake 25 years ago, and promised myself I would never do it again. I enjoy watching and participating in politics from the sidelines, but it's best to keep some distance.

4. This is your first legal thriller in three years. How did it feel to get back to the genre that started it all, and can fans expect another thriller from you next year?
I still enjoy writing the legal thrillers, and don't plan to get too far away from them. Obviously, they have been very good to me, and they remain popular. I plan to write one a year for the next several years.

5. Your nonfiction book The Innocent Man continues to be a bestseller in paperback. In your ongoing work with The Innocence Project, have you come across another story of the wrongfully convicted that begs to be written as nonfiction?
There are literally hundreds of great stories out there about wrongfully convicted defendants. I am continually astounded by these stories, and I resist the temptation to take the plunge again into non-fiction.

6. What's on your bedside reading list at the moment?
1. The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
2. Eric Clapton's autobiography
3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:24 -0400)

Wall street millionaire Carl Trudeau purchases an unsuspecting Mississippi State Supreme Court judge candidate when a lower court rules against one of his chemical companies for dumping toxic waste into a small town's water supply causing a cancer cluster.… (more)

1949 avail.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,086,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible