Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the…

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything… (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner

Member:koend
Title:Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (P.S.)
Authors:Steven D. Levitt
Other authors:Stephen J. Dubner
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: 1 Original, Paperback, 315 pages
Rating:***
Tags:audio

Freakonomics: a Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (Author) (2005)

(46) 2005 (40) 2006 (47) abortion (59) audiobook (54) business (321) crime (74) culture (135) current events (44) ebook (51) economics (2,730) economy (140) finance (44) humor (49) non-fiction (1,782) own (79) politics (94) pop culture (46) popular economics (48) popular science (76) psychology (120) read (290) science (111) social science (97) society (119) sociology (461) statistics (284) to-read (178) unread (87) wishlist (45)
    Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely (_Zoe_)
    SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: Similar content, same authors. If you liked one you'll like the other.
    The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford (waitingtoderail)
    waitingtoderail: A much better book than Freakonomics, as wide-ranging but not as scattershot.
    Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) by Tom Vanderbilt (vnovak)
    Bad Science: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks by Ben Goldacre (Rynooo)
    Quirkology: The Curious Science Of Everyday Lives by Richard Wiseman (edwbaker)
    More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics by Steven E. Landsburg (Sandydog1)
    Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (dste)
    dste: Another interesting book that looks at some ideas we think are right and turns them upside down.
    Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport by Simon Kuper (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Freakonomics for football fans
    The Economic Naturalist: In Search of Explanations for Everyday Enigmas by Robert H. Frank (ljessen)
    Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won by Tobias J. Moskowitz (browner56)
    browner56: Economists use the tools of the "dismal science"--both traditional and behavioral--to explain the pressing issues of the day, such as drug crime, school quality, and the home field advantage in football games.
    Moneyball : the art of winning an unfair game by Michael Lewis (tcarter)
    The Myth of the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Policies by Bryan Caplan (mercure)
    mercure: The freakonomics of democracy
    Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy by Carl Shapiro (infiniteletters)
    Dollars and Sex by Marina Adshade (_Zoe_)
    Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben (pa5t0rd)
    Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler (espertus)
    Freedomnomics: Why the Free Market Works and Other Half-Baked Theories Don't by John R. Lott Jr. (nathanm, Anonymous user)

English (338)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (348)
The authors did a fairly good job showing that everything is related to everything else. And that Economics isn't just as simple as politicians like to say it is.

However, I still think that sometimes they look for correlation where it may not exist, or some how think the ends justify the means.

While many arguments were good, like all the government regulation we have regarding child safety seats, and cribs and everything are nothing compared to if parents would just play some bloody attention to their kid at the pool. Of course politicians can't create regulations for this, as too many adults like pools and don't want to be told what to do. And that adding a late fee for picking up kids from day care, actually made folks feel better about doing so, as compared to the old shaming from the neighborhood they used to do.

However the disturbing argument that the reason the crime rate is as low in the U.S. is because we have abortion on demand, and their are less poor black kids, is disturbing and made me want to be sick.

A good audio book in all, but be warned. ( )
  fulner | Jul 14, 2014 |
An interesting read about unintended consequences of certain events that seem unrealated, but really when examined closely - are related. ( )
  berthacummins | Apr 26, 2014 |
I started listening to the Freakonomics podcast a while back, so I knew what I was getting into with this book. For the kind of general trade book this is, I think it's well structured, highly readable, and surprisingly thought-provoking. Far too many such books promise much and live up to only a portion of their claims, so the fact that this one exceeded my expectations garnered it a higher rating than many other readers seem to think it deserves. Maybe I reacted strongly to it because it managed both to reveal new facts while confirming my belief that most things are more difficult to understand than they at first appear. The authors undermine many of the assumptions of "conventional wisdom," and they do so with logic and supporting data carefully considered. I look forward to hearing more from them. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
I found this book fun, interesting, and highly readable, though not really scientific in the way that I think the authors intended.

The book's rating went down an entire star due to the incredibly fatuous, self-congratulatory quotations used as chapter epigraphs. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
I could not finish this book. It made me cringe twice on each of the hundred odd pages that I did force myself to read.

Would I recommend this book to you? If you don't know how people use statistics to detect fraud, go ahead and read this book. You will find it to be entertaining and informative. On the other hand, if you feel strongly about the difference between correlation and causality and already know what, say, Benford's law is, spare yourself the horror. You will find yourself reaching for the wall (to bang your head on) by page 10.

Also, the title is a bit misleading. This book is NOT about economics. ( )
  ikka123 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Economists can seem a little arrogant at times. They have a set of techniques and habits of thought that they regard as more ''rigorous'' than those of other social scientists. When they are successful -- one thinks of Amartya Sen's important work on the causes of famines, or Gary Becker's theory of marriage and rational behavior -- the result gets called economics. It might appear presumptuous of Steven Levitt to see himself as an all-purpose intellectual detective, fit to take on whatever puzzle of human behavior grabs his fancy. But on the evidence of ''Freakonomics,'' the presumption is earned.

added by Shortride | editThe Economist (pay site) (May 12, 2005)

The book, unfortunately titled Freakonomics, is broken into six chapters, each posing a different social question. Levitt and Dubner answer them using empirical research and statistical analysis. And unlike academics who usually address these matters, they don't clutter the prose with a lot of caveats. They just show you the goods.
added by Shortride | editTime, Amanda Ripley (Apr 24, 2005)

Freakonomics is about unconventional wisdom, using the raw data of economics in imaginative ways to ask clever and diverting questions. Levitt even redefines his definition. If, as he says, economics is essentially about incentives and how people realise them, then economics is a prospecting tool, not a laboratory microscope.

Levitt, Steven D.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dubner, Stephen J.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindgren, StefanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most brilliant young economist in America -- the one so deemed, at least, by a jury of his elders -- brakes to a stop at a traffic light on Chicago's south side.
I'm a maverick!
Or just a Drama Queen who's
Good at marketing?

(Adaptive_Agent)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061234001, Hardcover)

Economics is not widely considered to be one of the sexier sciences. The annual Nobel Prize winner in that field never receives as much publicity as his or her compatriots in peace, literature, or physics. But if such slights are based on the notion that economics is dull, or that economists are concerned only with finance itself, Steven D. Levitt will change some minds. In Freakonomics (written with Stephen J. Dubner), Levitt argues that many apparent mysteries of everyday life don't need to be so mysterious: they could be illuminated and made even more fascinating by asking the right questions and drawing connections. For example, Levitt traces the drop in violent crime rates to a drop in violent criminals and, digging further, to the Roe v. Wade decision that preempted the existence of some people who would be born to poverty and hardship. Elsewhere, by analyzing data gathered from inner-city Chicago drug-dealing gangs, Levitt outlines a corporate structure much like McDonald's, where the top bosses make great money while scores of underlings make something below minimum wage. And in a section that may alarm or relieve worried parents, Levitt argues that parenting methods don't really matter much and that a backyard swimming pool is much more dangerous than a gun. These enlightening chapters are separated by effusive passages from Dubner's 2003 profile of Levitt in The New York Times Magazine, which led to the book being written. In a book filled with bold logic, such back-patting veers Freakonomics, however briefly, away from what Levitt actually has to say. Although maybe there's a good economic reason for that too, and we're just not getting it yet. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:25 -0400)

Offers an alternative view of how the economy really works, examining issues from cheating and crime to sports and child-rearing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible