Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Info:Phoenix, Paperback
Collections:Liked
Rating:*****

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.

English (180)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (189)
Gillian Flynn writes a wonderful mystery. Dark Places is the very dark and macabre story of the Day family. In 1985, the divorced mother of four children is slaughtered along with two of her girls. Her son Ben is accused and convicted of the murder mainly based upon the testimony of his seven year old sister Libby, who escaped the attack. Twenty five years later Libby is still struggling with vague memories and conflicting feelings about her brother who is still in prison. There are people who feel the fifteen year old Ben was wrongly accused and that the real killer is walking free somewhere.

Flynn writes the story in flashback to the day of the murder in1985 with each chapter told from the point of view of the mother and brother, and Libby's first person story in present day.

If you like dark and macabre, I think you will like this story. It is much darker than Gone Girl.

Read Sept 2013 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Fínn krimmi og hlakka til að sjá myndina. ( )
  Erlingur | Jul 26, 2015 |
Libby Day’s family was the perfect picture of the “poor family from the wrong side of the tracks”. Dad disappeared after running the family business – the farm that is now in foreclosure – into the ground. Mom tries to keep their heads above water but it’s all proving to be too much for her. The only thing she can do at the end every day is fall into bed and hope she has the energy to do it all over again the next morning when she wakes up. When Libby’s older brother Ben is accused of inappropriate behavior with an 8 year-old at school it seemed like that would be the straw that broke the camel’s back. Of course, things can always get worse – in January 1985 Libby’s mother and two sisters are murdered, she escaped the same fate by hiding and her brother Ben was the only suspect.

We meet Libby when she is thirty years old. She is a very dysfunctional; she lives like a hermit and has just found out that she is broke. With no training and no prospects for employment in the near future she jumps (reluctantly) on an opportunity when it presents itself. The “Kill Club” has offered her a speaking fee to appear at their annual meeting. This begins the quest for truth that Libby has tried to avoid her entire life.

Not many authors can pull it off successfully but Ms. Flynn has mastered telling a story from various perspectives and in various voices. She does it as well in this book as she did in Gone Girl. Libby always moves the story along in the present as we follow along on her journey to discover the truth behind the murders of her family. Her story is interspersed with voices from the past; her mother and her brother. Each narrator’s section moves us forward in the book as well as in the mystery until the two stories converge at the end. Excellent who-dun-it and so much more.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I was totally sucked in when I seen the movie, Gone Girl The same happened when I watched the trailer for Dark Places. I couldn't wait for the movie, so I picked up the book. From the first page I was entranced. This books is dark and suspenseful. Full of mystery that keeps you turning the page. Libby isn't necessarily a likeable character, but she grows on you. Dark Places is not my usually type of read but I loved this one and definitely recommend it. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Jul 13, 2015 |
Great read- got it yesterday and couldn't put it down til just finished it. Didn't even guess "who did it" like I usually do until almost end of story and then not completely because of nice little twist in plot 😊 ( )
  KarenHerndon | Jul 9, 2015 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
Libby Day "I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it."

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible