Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Info:Phoenix, Paperback
Collections:Liked
Rating:*****

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (sturlington)
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)

English (249)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (260)
Review to come.
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Damn.

That was a roller coaster of a read. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Esta historia puede resumirse en una sola palabra: incómoda.

Nunca antes había sido tan cierta la frase: el diablo está en los detalles. Porque Flynn hace acopio, justamente, de las pequeñas cosas para desarrollar el morbo, la repulsión y la oscuridad humana: una maestra pidiéndole un abrazo a un niño mientras este trata de ocultar una erección, adolescentes que le escupen dentro del hocico a los perros, el aplastamiento de unos ratoncitos recién nacidos, restos de comida vieja pegada al cabello de un personaje, sábanas sucias con orine, hamburguesas hechas de restos de fruta podrida.

Son detalles como éstos, más que los asesinatos y los rituales satánicos, los que hacen de Dark Places una historia terrible y de Flynn es una autora increíble. Te sumerge en la trama, explorando la maldad de manera tan realista que el resultado es una lectura terriblemente incómoda. Por momentos, me embargaba tal desasosiego, tal pena ajena, que tenía que dejar de leer.

No es una lectura fácil, ni ligera. Sientes lástima por los personajes y repulsión y desesperación. Y sabes, inequívocamente, que todo solo puede empeorar... y empeora. Tal vez (como yo) debas hacer pausas en la lectura para recuperar un poco de paz mental. Y tal vez (también como yo), en algún momento particularmente siniestro, dudes en retomarla. Hazlo. Quizás debas hacer muchas más pausas, pero te prometo que valdrá la pena. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Very, very sick! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I thought "Dark Places" was an o.k. mystery. It ended partially how I thought it would, but included a twist that I didn't predict. Though, when I look back, there were clues that pointed to the twist.

I enjoyed the perpetually poor, scrappy kleptomaniac Libby character. Her kleptomania is down right hilarious at times. She reminds me a bit of Flynn's Margo character in "Gone Girl" -- A character I wish they had done more with in the movie. ( )
  sandsjd | Jun 3, 2016 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.”
“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs.”

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,890,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible