Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Title:Dark Places
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Phoenix, Paperback

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)

English (191)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (200)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It kept me interested throughout wondering what had actually transpired with regard to the murders of a mother and her daughters while attempting to anticipate which character was responsible for the horrific event.The ending is somewhat unrealistic with the contract and the satanic scene was disturbing. Initially I thought that this work was written prior to Gone Girl. If you liked Gone you will probably like Dark Places. ( )
  66usma | Sep 17, 2015 |
Dark Places is Gillian Flynn’s second novel. I think it’s important when reading Flynn’s earlier books not to make comparisons to her amazing third novel, Gone Girl. Remember that Dark Places is her second book so one wouldn’t expect it to be as good as Gone Girl. That said, it was pretty darn good. The main character is Libby Day. When Libby was a child, her brother Ben was convicted of killing their mother and two sisters. It was Libby’s testimony that was instrumental in putting him away. Libby’s an adult now and lives her life walking around in an emotionless haze. It’s really hard to empathize with her because she doesn’t seem to feel sadness or anger about what happened – she’s just numb. I didn’t like her very much at all. But you don’t need to like Libby to enjoy this book. You probably aren’t meant to like her.

Lyle, a member of Kill Club, a group obsessed with real life murders, approaches her and suggests that someone other Ben killed her family. Libby is outraged – she saw what happened. Eventually, Lyle convinces Libby to help him investigate. She agrees so that she can prove to him that her brother is a murderer.

I’m usually pretty good at guessing the ending to thrillers and mysteries but not in this case. This book has so many twists and turns that my head was spinning. Flynn is so great at weaving a complicated plot together, keeping the reader confused (in a good way) about how everything fits together until the very end.

When Gone Girl was released three years ago, I had the pleasure of attending Gillian’s book signing in Kansas City. Incidentally, Flynn is from Kansas City. That’s also where Libby and I live so it was fun reading about real-life landmarks that are in my city. Libby’s hometown of Kinnakee is fictional though.

Anyway, at the signing, Gillian also shared some thoughts and answered questions about Dark Places:
• Dark Places started out as a fictional look at the McMartain preschool case in California. [If you look up that case, you’ll see that it ended up being just a small piece of Dark Place’s story.]

• In the first draft of Dark Places, Libby was supposed to be perky because she didn’t want another dark narrator like in Sharp Objects. She changed her mind after her husband read the first draft and said it was clear that she didn’t like writing Libby.

• She doesn’t start out knowing how a book will end. The twists and turns come to her as she goes. She writes her books five or six times! ( )
  mcelhra | Sep 15, 2015 |
Did not finish
  scullybert | Sep 15, 2015 |
When Libby Day was 7 years old she lost her entire family, her sisters and mother were brutally murdered, and her 15 year old brother was convicted of the crime. For the next 24 years she has been living off charity and generally has not moved past her 7 year old self. Then she comes in contact with a group that is convinced her brother is innocent and makes Libby start to question everything she thought she knew about that night. Everybody involved had a secret that 7 year olds were not included in. If her brother did not kill his family, who did?
This is the second Gillian Flynn book I have read. I read Gone Girl in June of 2014. I have become a fan. She takes us down such an unexpected rabbit hole with her stories. The twists of this book wasn't as shocking as in Gone Girl, but it still wasn't easily predictable. I was a bit disappointed in the ending. I felt that it all tied up a little to neatly, I wanted more left undone. It seemed pretty neat compared to Gone Girl. I still flew through the book, 3 days to read. It was really hard to put down, and I kept staying up past my bedtime to read "one more chapter." Flynn's writing is so smooth and conversational that it felt more like I was listening to a friend talk than reading a book. I need to get her book Sharp Objects because I have a feeling history will repeat itself and I will love it!
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.”
“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs.”

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible