Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Info:Phoenix, Paperback
Collections:Liked
Rating:*****

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.

English (147)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (156)
When reading mysteries I'm always trying to guess "who did it", and am disappointed when the book is predictable. This book is NOT going to disappoint. Much like Gone Girl, it is full of twist and turns that keep the reader guessing and quickly flipping the pages. Readers beware, it is a bit gruesome at points, the story is dark, but it is so worth reading! Another great thriller from Gillian Flynn! ( )
  Alie | Nov 7, 2014 |
Libby was only 7 years-old when her 15-year old brother, Ben, murdered her mother and two sisters. Libby could hear it all happening and managed to escape. Now, Libby's 31 and her brother had been in jail almost 25 years. She has mostly tried to forget that night, but when she needs money, she meets up with a group of people to talk about it. What she didn't know was that the group would be a bit hostile toward her, blaming her for her testimony which – they believe – wrongly put Ben in jail. She decides she must look further into it to find out what really happened.

This was really good. I listened to the audio. It got my attention at the start and kept my attention. It went back and forth in time between Libby, present day, back to the day before and the morning of the murders, Jan. 2-3, 1985. In the flashbacks, we got to see Libby's mother's and Ben's points of view, as well. I will admit – at least closer to the start – to not being as interested in these flashbacks. Of course, that changed the closer we got to the murders. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 1, 2014 |
Currently number one on my To Be Read list. After reading Gone Girl I can't wait to see what else this author has to offer.
  kyleigh497 | Oct 30, 2014 |
I really got into this novel. It is a great murder mystery. A real who done it? This one is not at all predictable and I liked that. It reminded me of Stephen King with the evil elements and the horrific murders. We follow Libby as she meets up with people from her past and tries to clarify what really did happen to her mother and two sisters on that fateful day back on the farm. This story travels back and forth between the present and the past. It is hold on to the edge of your seat suspenseful. Beware, this book is like a drug once you start reading you can’t quit!!! I read it in only two days. It is horrifying and bad and slightly gross, but you just have to know what happened. The characters all have their problems, but they are almost likeable realistic people. This book to me had a little different feel than Gone Girl. In Gone Girl you knew what the characters were thinking and were in their heads. This book has more action and less psychological character input. Dark Places is well thought out and well written. I liked Gone Girl just a tad better than this one. This is a great book and I was . I give it 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Oct 28, 2014 |
The movie adaptation of this book is scheduled to be released sometime in 2014. I recommend seeing it, but only after reading the book. This is one of those suspense/mystery stories that will lose the element of surprise if you see the movie before the book. Besides, the book was so good, I can’t imagine the movie topping it. Gillian Flynn has done it again. If you read and liked Gone Girl, you will also like this one. It keeps you guessing until the end. Libby Day has had a hard life. Her sisters and mother were murdered in their home when Libby was just seven years old. Her testimony of what happened that night put her older brother, Ben, in prison for life. Libby is now thirty years old. She’s lived off of the money people donated to her after the story of the murders broke in the press. She’s now almost out of money with no work history and, frankly, no motivation to go to work. She’s desperate to find more money and ends up meeting with a group of people who seem to be obsessed with the murders who are willing to pay her for souvenirs and extra information she can give them. The biggest problem with this though, is that these people believe her brother is innocent. This puts Libby in the position of having to reflect back on that night and confront the possibility that maybe she was mistaken in her testimony when she was seven, and her brother has been innocent but imprisoned all these years. This book follows Libby as she tries to discover the truth about what happened that night when her life was changed forever. See my other reviews and features at http://bookwormbookreviews.com ( )
  Aeroette | Sep 22, 2014 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
Libby Day "I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it."

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,921,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible