Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Info:Phoenix, Paperback
Collections:Liked
Rating:*****

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.

English (148)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (157)
"Dark Places" is the story of Libby Day, who was 7 years old when her mother and sisters were murdered in their rural Kansas home. She escaped by climbing out a window and hiding in the woods. Her brother, Ben, was charged in the crime and was accused of being a Satan worshiper.

The story alternates between the present day, when Libby is in her 30s and has been living a shiftless life, and the day before the murders in 1985. In the present, Libby meets a group of true crime enthusiasts who think Ben is innocent, and she agrees to track down some people from her hometown and ask them about what really happened that night. The flashback chapters tell the story from both Ben's and the mother's point of view.

What I like about Flynn's writing is how layered it is -- the story slowly unfolds and we see the different sides of the story. Did Libby actually see what she thought she saw? Was Ben really a Satan worshiper? Where was Libby's father that night? What happened to Ben's girlfriend?

If you like a good thriller that is hard to put down, I heartily recommend "Dark Places." ( )
  Hanneri | Dec 3, 2014 |
When reading mysteries I'm always trying to guess "who did it", and am disappointed when the book is predictable. This book is NOT going to disappoint. Much like Gone Girl, it is full of twist and turns that keep the reader guessing and quickly flipping the pages. Readers beware, it is a bit gruesome at points, the story is dark, but it is so worth reading! Another great thriller from Gillian Flynn! ( )
  Alie | Nov 7, 2014 |
Libby was only 7 years-old when her 15-year old brother, Ben, murdered her mother and two sisters. Libby could hear it all happening and managed to escape. Now, Libby's 31 and her brother had been in jail almost 25 years. She has mostly tried to forget that night, but when she needs money, she meets up with a group of people to talk about it. What she didn't know was that the group would be a bit hostile toward her, blaming her for her testimony which – they believe – wrongly put Ben in jail. She decides she must look further into it to find out what really happened.

This was really good. I listened to the audio. It got my attention at the start and kept my attention. It went back and forth in time between Libby, present day, back to the day before and the morning of the murders, Jan. 2-3, 1985. In the flashbacks, we got to see Libby's mother's and Ben's points of view, as well. I will admit – at least closer to the start – to not being as interested in these flashbacks. Of course, that changed the closer we got to the murders. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 1, 2014 |
Currently number one on my To Be Read list. After reading Gone Girl I can't wait to see what else this author has to offer.
  kyleigh497 | Oct 30, 2014 |
I really got into this novel. It is a great murder mystery. A real who done it? This one is not at all predictable and I liked that. It reminded me of Stephen King with the evil elements and the horrific murders. We follow Libby as she meets up with people from her past and tries to clarify what really did happen to her mother and two sisters on that fateful day back on the farm. This story travels back and forth between the present and the past. It is hold on to the edge of your seat suspenseful. Beware, this book is like a drug once you start reading you can’t quit!!! I read it in only two days. It is horrifying and bad and slightly gross, but you just have to know what happened. The characters all have their problems, but they are almost likeable realistic people. This book to me had a little different feel than Gone Girl. In Gone Girl you knew what the characters were thinking and were in their heads. This book has more action and less psychological character input. Dark Places is well thought out and well written. I liked Gone Girl just a tad better than this one. This is a great book and I was . I give it 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Oct 28, 2014 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
Libby Day "I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it."

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible