Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Info:Phoenix, Paperback
Collections:Liked
Rating:*****

Dark Places: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (sturlington)
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)

English (266)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (278)
Libby, Patty, Ben, Diondre, Lyle, interesting characters, but none are the least but likeable. Flynn tells the story from three points of view, in two different times: 1985 and present day. When I completed a chapter I was tempted, alright I did skip over to the next chapter from that character's viewpoint to see what was going to happen. The book is pretty brutal from start to finish, but a real page turner. The movie comes out in September and Gillian Flynn's New York Times best selling book Gone Girl comes out in October.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Kept me intrigued until the end, but the ending left me feeling empty. In libby's own words, in the end i was "holding two ends of fabric and didn't know what to do next" ( )
  eurafalsky | Dec 13, 2016 |
The end saved this for me for sure. I sort of felt like this book dragged and made Libby look so pathetic, but she certainly redeemed herself later on! Don't think GF is for me overall but glad I gave this a shot since Gone Girl was a huge flop for me. ( )
  dmbkel41 | Dec 7, 2016 |
This book. WOW.

Overall, this was a good story. My biggest complaint was that there were too many story lines and the big reveal the end (about the murders) seemed to diminish the rest of the conflict.

I did like reading it, and I think it's worth reading if you're looking for a good mystery. It was just a lot of little things. For me, too much. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Couldn't put this book down, although it definitely began to become more and more contrived as it continued. I enjoyed switching between past and present; it was interesting to see the mystery unfold in two different timelines. There was too much of a reliance on coincidence toward the end and way too much of the cheap gimmick in which a character in the present is magically thinking about the same thing a character in the past was in the prior segment of the book. There was also a tendency for Libby to magically figure out everyone's motivations and thoughts without nearly enough information to do so. Overall though, these moments tend to not detract overly much from the storytelling and it's a compelling read. ( )
  mel.davidoff | Dec 1, 2016 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.”
“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs.”

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,668,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible