Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Title:Dark Places
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Phoenix, Paperback

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (sturlington)
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)

English (197)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (206)
This was another great book by Gillian Flynn. She never lets the reader know who killed the Day family without giving it away until the very end. The reader will never guess. Once they think it is someone then the facts switch to someone else. This story has more of a "happy" ending than Gone Girl, but still as thrilling and leaves you wanting more. ( )
  LacyLK | Nov 21, 2015 |
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn is a 2009 publication.

After reading “Gone Girl”, I was chomping at the bit to read more from this author. I dived into “Sharp Objects”, and it was good too, just very different. But, as time passed, I forgot about this book, and it sat on my TBR list for a long, long time.

A few weeks ago I was browsing through Amazon prime movies and noticed this book has been made into a movie starring Charlize Theron. What? I had no idea. Well, I didn't even bother looking at the ratings or reading the reviews for it, but instead, I went in search of the book, remembering suddenly that I had been excited to read it a few years back.

I really don't know what to say or how to feel about this book. It certainly doesn't measure up to the other books I've read by this author.

The story is just very busy and complicated, and the flashbacks delved too deeply into matters that didn't pertain to the story all that much and didn't add much insight, which took me out of the story. I really struggled to stay interested and had to exercise all my self control not to skim or skip ahead.

Libby survives a vicious attack on her family that leaves her mother and two sisters dead, and her brother in prison accused of the crime. Now, in her thirties, Libby is flat broke, so when she is approached by a “Kill Club” a group of people obsessed with notorious murder cases, she sees a chance to cash in on her tragedy. She is stunned to discover that many people in the group are not convinced her brother, Ben, is guilty, something she has taken at face value all these years.
After hearing some the contradictions in the case, Libby begins to have second thoughts about Ben's guilt , and with the help of a group member, she begins to piece together what really happened to her family all those years ago, and it's not as cut and dried as she had thought.

Is Ben innocent or did he have an accomplice? Was it a stranger to the family, or an enemy of her father's or someone seeking revenge for an alleged crime.. or all of the above? Libby's journey will take her to many dark places before she's able to see the light.

This book has the trademark twist and turns that we expect from this author, and the very dark subject matter, too. Gillian Flynn is a master at writing books in which none of the main characters are all that likeable. I wanted to like Libby, pull for her, cheer her on, and see her finally find closure, but she was not exactly the warmest person in the world and certainly has her own foibles.

It seems that nearly all the characters were morally bankrupt in one way or another, some more than others. So, if you are one of the few who hasn't read this book yet, don't expect things to turn out rosy in the end with everything tied up nice and tidy with a big bow on top.

This is one weird story, but it does, in a strange way, have a modern day noir feel to it, however, if that was what the author was going for, it didn't quite work. I ended up feeling irritated at the pacing of the story, and after all that frustration, I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when I got to the end.

As a side note, after finishing the book, I did go back to see what people thought of the movie, and the general consensus was that it's an okay movie, maybe a little above average, according to Amazon reviewers, so out of curiosity, I might give it a try and see what Hollywood's take is on this very odd story.

I'm still on the fence about my rating, but will settle for a 2.5 rounded to 3 ( )
  gpangel | Nov 20, 2015 |
Libby Day’s family was murdered when she was a child. To be specific, her mother and two sisters were murdered. Libby herself hid and survived. Her brother also survived… but that’s because he was pegged as the murderer. Libby is in her thirties and still puts that night out of her mind. She is contacted by a group who loves studying murders and cases they think aren’t truly solved, and they offer her money for information. Libby can’t turn down the money, but can she contact key people from her past, and can she face her brother in prison, when her testimony is what put him there? She starts doubting her memory the more she finds out, and is determined to discover the truth about her family’s murders. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Flynn's writing is so spectacular. Her imagery is amazing. I absolutely could not put this book down. I was more and more horrified the farther into the book I read. The compounding of the story (you'll understand what I'm saying when you read the book) makes you feel like yelling at the book, much like watching a horror flick and yelling, "Don't go in there! He is right behind you!" You feel for almost all of the characters. They all have quirky traits which make them anything but flat. Definitely a book I'd recommend. ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |
Again Gillian flynn delivers a thrilling novel that keeps you at the edge of your seat !
I must say that this was the lesser of her 3 novels, but it was still a well though out plot that tackles some serious topics !
I semi figured out who had done it pretty early in the book but I enjoyed it nonetheless. ( )
  lisa.isselee | Oct 23, 2015 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.”
“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs.”

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible