Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places (edition 2009)

by Gillian Flynn

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, thriller, USA, read in 2013

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (sturlington)
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)

English (252)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (263)
Couldn't put it down. Great voice and writing. Kept me in suspense until close to the end and I can usually figure out "whodunit" pretty quickly. I absolutely recommend it to anyone who likes a dark tale with plenty of blood, mystery, and a nice touch of humor mixed in. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
Gillian Flynn is now one of my favorite authors. Where does she come up with this stuff?! I listened to the audiobook which I'm kind of wondering if that was a mistake because at one point I almost vomited in my car because of a scene in the book. I like how the book progresses through the day and night of the event in 1985 while 24 years later Libby Day investigates what really happened that night. I have to say I did not see that coming when I got to the end. Gillian is great at knowing how to make so many twists and turns that you never guess what really happened until the end and it is nothing like you would think. What a fantastically written book. If you like murder mysteries with tons of twists and turns, pick this book up. Can't wait to see this as a movie although I disagree with Charlize Theron as Libby. She's too tall. I would say more like Emma Roberts or Ellen Page. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 12, 2016 |
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Review to come.
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Damn.

That was a roller coaster of a read. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.”
“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs.”

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,580,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible