Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places (edition 2009)

by Gillian Flynn

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, thriller, usa, read in 2013

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.

English (166)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (175)
Wow! This was Gillian Flynn's best!! It didn't have a slow start but intrigue and conflict from the get go. The story took me along at such a pace I barely had any time to conjecture or over-think. I liked that the author broke the mold of her other books. I do wonder if she has dark places of her own. She must because she writes brilliantly about the most horrific things and colors her dark characters like they were paint-by-number. I loved this book! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Libby Day was seven when her two,sisters and mother were brutally murdered. She survived and testified that her 15 year old brother killed them. It is 25 years later and a secret Kill Club has located Libby to convince her that she was coerced into testifying against her brother. Desperate for money, she agrees to look into it and even visit her brother whom she hasn't contacted since the trial. ( )
  creighley | Mar 31, 2015 |
"Dark Places" is dark and not ordinarily a novel that I would select on my own to read. However, it was a selection choice for me as part of LibraryThing's Secret Santa 2014. I had just finished watching the movie "Gone Girl" and the ending was not what I had anticipated. [I had not read the book and had only seen snippets of the movie trailer - never in its entirety.] So with the availability to pick a new novel to read from the pile of 'next to read', I selected "Dark Places".

As I started the novel, I didn't know that I could finish it. I can't sit through an episode of "Dexter" or "Criminal Minds" and the novel was taking me into the dark. But I am very familiar with the Kansas landscape as I've driven it many times to visit a favorite aunt and uncle. And most importantly, there was Libby Day. And without a doubt, this is Libby's story and I couldn't put the novel aside until I learned the entire story.

It is reading at its best - descriptive, intriguing, compelling, thoughtful, gripping, burrow between the covers, grab the blanket a little tighter. It is a page-turning, emotional story that at various moments seem to be presented without emotion. But life is sometimes like that - raw, bleak, dark, haunting thoughts of the past, buried secrets of the past. The question is - Can you emerge? Can you 'try just a little harder'? I would have missed this novel and am glad I did not. Everyone should spend time with Libby Day.

**************
Interesting. Just read (05-Mar-2015) that this novel will be released in film from France on 08-Apr-2015 but with no promotion in the United States. Trailer and more information is available at: http://www.nylon.com/articles/dark-places-trailer ( )
  Corduroy7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
I tore through this pretty quickly. It was a fun read, just as sordid as Gone Girl. I wasn't a huge fan of Gone Girl but this one was a little better in my eyes. There were some plot lines I felt it didn't need - but that's a red herring for you I guess. And while I haven't really liked any of her characters (and I think it's safe to say that she doesn't intend for them to be liked) I appreciate that she writes her female characters as more complex and dark than typical. All in all, quite fun! ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. It had a great plot line that kept you on edge. The plot line was new to me, I had never read anything quite like it. It was well written and kept me on the edge of my seat. ( )
  Caitlin_Griffith | Feb 26, 2015 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
Libby Day "I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it."

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,795,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible