Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places (edition 2009)

by Gillian Flynn

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, thriller, usa, read in 2013

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)

English (186)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (195)
(27) Yikes! Picked this up at a used bookstore after really loving 'Gone, Girl, even though I thought I was too good for it. Almost like an 80's version of Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' in a way -except in wasn't 'true crime.' I love novels about "cold cases." Flynn writes quite well - really even though the "whodunnit" seems to be crazy it isn't. She laid the groundwork but the readers like me were unlikely to pick up on how it all went down.

Some parts of the novel didn't really ring true. I didn't love the teenaged Ben. I think he was what kept me from a higher rating. I think despite quite the effort at character development with him; he fell flat for me and the book lost some charm and power because of that. I loved Libby though as well as Runner Day. Spot on - but yet not really caricatures. And the Kill Club convention. I am so sure there are actually people out there like that.

A great though horrific mystery. Not for the faint of heart. This isn't a British cosy. While Flynn doesn't have literary pretensions, she is actually a fine novelist and story-teller. I am going to read her other novels when I can. I would actually love to see her write something grittier that is less horror and explore her talents. . . . poor cow, by the way. ( )
  jhowell | Aug 24, 2015 |
When she was 7, Libby Day was the only survivor of the brutal murders of her mother and sisters, a crime her teenaged brother was convicted of. As an adult, almost out of money, Libby connects with a group who thinks her brother is innocent and who will pay her for access to key witnesses--and Libby starts questioning her own assumptions about the murders.

A good thriller, with really well-defined characters, especially the damaged Libby. The ending twists pushed the edges of unbelievability, but altogether this was an entertaining novel that I enjoyed more than Gone Girl.

Read in 2015 for the HorrorKIT. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 24, 2015 |
Dark places is a twisted tale that kept me guessing all the way to the end. Seven year old Libby Day, the sole survivor of her families massacre is pushed into visiting her past that she would rather leave alone. Twenty four years have past since that fatal day, now she's left to discover the truth about what happened that January night. Gillian Flynn is a brilliant writer, the story was well paced leaving me wanted more. I give it a 4.5 star rating ( )
  stevealtier | Aug 22, 2015 |
This was almost a two-star rating for me. If this were the first Gillian Flynn book I read, I doubt I would seek out her others. But since I read Gone Girl first, I tried her first novel and then this one. In the second paragraph of the book, Flynn writes of the main character and narrator, Libby Day: "I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult." That was, for me, the problem with the book. There were no lovable characters. Granted, Libby is the survivor of a family massacre that occurred when she was seven years old in which her mother and two sisters were brutally murdered. Her brother is serving a life sentence in prison for the crime. But did he really commit the crime? Libby's testimony about the events of the evening led to his conviction. The novel details events 25 years after the murders, but also chronicles events at the time of the crime. It was hard for me to feel anything for any of the characters, even thought I felt like I should have been moved by the tragedies they experienced. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Libby Day, a thirty something female discovers that her benefit funds have ran out. This fund was established from the donations given to her by the multitude of well wishers when her family constituting of her mother and two sisters were massacred brutality by her elder brother. She testified against him at his trial. In an attempt to raise some money she meets a death club who are interested in the Day murders and are keen to meet her. After talking with these people Libby realizes that at the trial she was coached by the lawyers and she actually never saw her brother Ben commit these murders. She also realizes the improbably of a teenager Ben commit these crimes. So she sets out to find the truth.

This is a dark dark book, very well written and suspenseful. The writing is excellent and it is well paced. A 5/5 star rating. ( )
  mausergem | Aug 4, 2015 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
Libby Day "I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it."

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible