Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places (edition 2009)

by Gillian Flynn

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, thriller, USA, read in 2013

Dark Places: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    In the Woods by Tana French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intricately plotted, fast paced and suspenseful murder mysteries feature young women struggling with dark family secrets and intense drama. Both expertly switch between past and present to slowly reveal disturbing truths.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (sturlington)
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.

English (283)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (295)
Damn. This was a well-written book that I enjoyed reading. I mean, it’s all kinds of messed up, but it’s interesting, and I don’t think the outcome is at all obvious. It all makes sense, when you think about it.

Libby Day is the sole surviving daughter of the Day family, three members of which were murdered in early January 1985. Her brother was convicted of the crime based partly on her testimony; she (a seven-year-old) testified that she saw him do it. As essentially an orphan (her dad faded in and out of her life) being raised by her aunt, she came into money at 18, thanks to people who had donated to a fund on her behalf when her story was in the news.

The catalyst for the story in this book is that Libby is out of money now, and has to figure out how to get some. She’s never really worked, and doesn’t want to. She comes across a letter from one of those true crime groups to see if she’d be willing to talk to them, with the understanding that they would pay her. Seeing a way to make some money, she agrees, and the story goes from there.

Like I said, this was a book that I enjoyed reading. It was a book that made me choose the elliptical over a run (because I can read on a machine), and the bus over a ride from a friend because that meant 30 uninterrupted minutes with the book. I also read and enjoyed Gone Girl, and I appreciate that Ms. Flynn creates characters that aren’t awesome, and that are sort of (really) flawed. It’s interesting. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
An excellent page turner! Dark Places isn't just any other mystery novel. It's well written and unpredictable, even though my guess early on as to what had happened was somewhat close. A fine story! And creepy, too. It's undoubtedly worth the read if you are a fan of modern literature! ( )
  omgully | Jul 6, 2017 |
A fresh, different approach in a captivating novel that investigates a family multiple murder, through the eyes of one of the survivors, told in alternating chapters twenty four years later and the last few hours before the crime. In the present, Libby, now 31, is spurred by a need to earn some money to review the night which she has tried to ignore. As her quest into the events continues, she comes to doubt her own memory and testimony that saw her brother, Ben, imprisoned for life for the murders. As she digs deeper into the involvement of her family and other individuals with surprising revelations, Libby realises that her brother may be innocent, even though he has always maintained his guilt.
  camharlow2 | Jul 4, 2017 |
After reading and hating Sharp Objects I was a little scared to jump back into the mind of Gillian Flynn. The synopsis disturbed me and I prepped myself for nightmares. Ha. I actually really liked this book. I like that things are not as they may initially appear and how Flynn slowly reveals the truth. I'm also a fan of the many different P.O.V.s. Overall, it was a well-crafted novel that I would recommend. 4.5 stars. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Libby Day has lived most of her miserable life with the knowledge that her teenage brother Ben murdered her mother and two sisters in their home when she was seven years old. Now in her early thirties -- unemployed, unfocused and nearly penniless -- she is contacted by a group of true crime enthusiasts who plant a seed of suspicion that cause her to doubt her memories of that tragic night and spark a desire to uncover the truth.

I think I actually enjoyed this more than two of Flynn's other works, Gone Girl and Sharp Objects. Though a bit violently graphic, it was a terrific vacation read. ( )
  ryner | Jun 23, 2017 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.”
“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs.”

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,112,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible