Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places (edition 2009)

by Gillian Flynn

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, thriller, usa, read in 2013

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (kraaivrouw)
    A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: A similarly troubled protagonist and an equally tensely-plotted and well written mystery.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (becksdakex)
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dark Places was undoubtedly influenced by In Cold Blood, but brings an interesting form of storytelling to superficially similar plot lines.
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (VictoriaPL)
    The Fault Tree by Louise Ure (RidgewayGirl)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (kraaivrouw)
    The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly (amyblue)
    amyblue: Both books have a strong sense of place, compelling main characters and involve both a present day and a past story. Also both are very intricately plotted thrillers.

English (170)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (179)
This was a good fast read, but I didn't love it. I'd recommend "In Cold Blood" to which this pays homage. It's original, real and a more fulfilling read. ( )
  JGolomb | May 13, 2015 |
It is the women that you have to watch out for in her books. ( )
  Clifford.Terry | Apr 30, 2015 |
"Dark Places" is a novel about three members of a poor rural family being murdered. On that cold winter night, only the youngest child- five year old Libby- escapes into the night.

The story begins twenty five years after the fact with Ben- the oldest child- serving life in prison for the murders. And Libby is a barely functioning adult… thirty years old and alone, bitter, confused, resentful, and untrusting of every and any other human being. She spends most of her time in bed or roaming the streets, living off charitable contributions and her mother’s life insurance.

Like a lightweight teenage who-done-it murder mystery, Libby- along with a group of “Ben supporters” called the Kill Club- decide to get to the bottom of the mystery once and for all. Dark Places is a dark psychological thriller that lacks the scare factor. It comes off like a borderline, trashy, made-for-TV movie. Through a series of drop-backs in time told by different family members that reveal the actual events, along with Libby’s investigative discoveries, the true story unfolds.

None of the women/girls in the story except Libby’s Aunt Diane are likable. They all make poor decisions and have fundamental moral flaws. In fact, the entire cast of characters leaves a lot to be desired. Gillian Flynn seems to focus only on the dark underbelly of humanity.

The plot is just too incredible with excessive coincidental circumstance. And too much of a miraculous transformation in Libby’s actions from the girl who couldn’t function from hour to hour to the strong, decisive, analytical crime solver.

While the ending took me by surprise, overall the grand finale was not worth the time spent reading the book. A good deal of the time I found the reading to be boring and thus, could not wait to finish and move on to something more substantial. "Dark Places" boasts on it’s paperback cover being named “one of” the best novels of 2009 by the New Yorker Magazine. If this is really the best 2009 had to offer, it explains why I tend to say close to the classics! ( )
  LadyLo | Apr 28, 2015 |
Though this book kept me captivated the entire time, I feel like I can only give it 4 stars. It was indeed a dark place. But I'm glad I read it and want to read more by this author. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Wow! This was Gillian Flynn's best!! It didn't have a slow start but intrigue and conflict from the get go. The story took me along at such a pace I barely had any time to conjecture or over-think. I liked that the author broke the mold of her other books. I do wonder if she has dark places of her own. She must because she writes brilliantly about the most horrific things and colors her dark characters like they were paint-by-number. I loved this book! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |

Gillian Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lyytinen, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Days were a clan that mighta lived long, But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong, That boy craved dark Satan's power, So he killed his family in one nasty hour, Little Michelle he strangled in the night, Then chopped up Debby: a bloody sight, Mother Patty he saved for last, Blew off her head with a shotgun blast, Baby Libby somehow survived, But to live through that ain't much a life --Schoolyard Rhyme, circa 1985
To my dashing husband, Brett Nolan
I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.
Libby Day "I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it."

Libby Day, still haunted by the day she witnessed the murder of her family on their farm in Kinnakee, Kansas, and twenty-five-years after testifying that her fifteen-year-old brother Ben was the killer, Libby is contacted by the Kill Club and devises a money making scheme that leads her back into a killer's path.

After witnessing the murder of her mother and sisters, seven-year-old Libby Day testifies against her brother Ben, but twenty-five years later she tries to profit from her tragic history and admit that her story might not have been accurate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible