A Perfect Darkness by Jaime Rush

A Perfect Darkness

by Jaime Rush

134489,677 (3)None

If you've read Feehan's [b:Ghostwalkers|9553|Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1)|Christine Feehan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275669938s/9553.jpg|1242015] series then you're probably familiar with this kind of storyline. The major differences being that these experimental subjects are unaware of the project that produced them, they're younger and without military training so all of the action feels very realistic, doing things that you or I would in their situations.

Events felt rushed. I'm not into sex before attraction and that's what we get. Sex, albeit in a dream is in the first 50 pages, and as far as Amy knows she's never met Lucas in real life. Her need and attraction only comes from those dreams and yet she trusts Lucas more in the 5 minutes she spent with him than the man she's known all her life. I'm sorry but I had problems believing that. And the bomb shelter -I don't know about that either. It was too convenient. As was the healing ability to give us the requisite happy ending.

One thing I found a bit odd: Lucas never considered taking out his captors in the same way he was being forced to snuff out their targets. A couple of strategic disposals and he might've been able to escape, especially when he knew Amy was safe with Eric and Petra.

I'll admit sharing my name with the protagonist was a bit strange. This has never happened before. Amys are usually secondary characters. Kind of felt like people were speaking to me rather than addressing her. We do share some qualities but we're completely different people. ;)

2.5 stars. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
A Perfect Darkness and all the other Offspring books will always be my favorite PNR series! Maybe it was because it was my first time
adventuring into the genre or because Jaime Rush made something modern day and believable that I fell for these, but I believe it is the latter! Awesome first book of the series! ( )
  LindsayChamberlin | Aug 15, 2013 |
I freely admit that I picked up "A Perfect Darkness" mostly because of the way cool cover. Once I began reading though, it didn't take long for author Jamie Rush to envelope me in her tale of modern urban fantasy with a strong bent toward romance.

Amy is a computer nerd (or is that nerdette? nerdess?) who spends her time retreiving lost files from damaged computer drives for her business "Disc Angel". She savors her nights when she dreams of a handsome lover whose face is always hidden. Amy has always had the ability to discern intent from what she calls the 'glow' that surrounds other people. Her life changes the night a man breaks into her apartment, warns her that her life is in danger, and is then shot by three other men who break down her down and cart him off. They try to tell her they're with the FBI and that they just saved her from a serial killer...but Amy can't quite believe that. So she ventures out from her apartment to hunt down the truth for herself; who was the man who broke in; why choose her; who are the Offspring; and why did the time spent with her 'serial killer' feel more right than wrong?

A strong and neatly plotted tale from new author Jamie Rush. "A Perfect Darkness" has suspense, hot sex, action, mystery, conspiracy, romance, paranormal hints, good guys, bad guys, an insane asylum, the FBI, and hints of other shadowy organizations. How could I pass that up?

Especially for a debut novel, I was impressed with the weave of the plot, the pace of the action, and the flow of the story. The heat level is NC-17 at the least and even the sex scenes were well-written and well placed. Sure there were a couple of weak spots for me, but I enjoyed this story enough to make me put her next book, "Out of the Darkness", on my to-buy list for September 2009. ( )
  jjmachshev | May 18, 2009 |
Amy Shane grew up seeing the "glows" around people. As she grew up she saw them even more and grew to understand what they mean. That is one reason that she tends toward being a recluse. But recently she has had a visitor, a sexy young man who seduces her in her dreams. One night this dream man appears, warning her of danger, just before he is shot and dragged from her apartment by the "FBI". When Amy decides to solve the mystery of her connection to this young man, she discovers that she, like him, is an Offspring, children of powerful psychics. As the mystery unfolds, Amy knows her life has changed forever.

I admit that I did not have high hopes for this book. Boy, was I surprised. It grabbed me and kept me reading well into the night. The action keeps the story going and the characters are well developed. There is a good bit of sex but it is well done, not tacky. I am excited that there will be a sequel. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | May 7, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006169035X, Mass Market Paperback)

They live ordinary lives, but they are extraordinary. They are the Offspring, children of a mysterious experiment gone awry—and they are in terrible danger.

A sexy stranger awakens Amy Shane in the dead of night. Lucas Vanderwyck barely has time to whisper a few words before three men burst into her bedroom and drag him away. But what Lucas reveals shatters Amy's safe little world forever.

Lucas and Amy share a psychic gift—a gift that could put them in mortal danger. And as they share night after night of savage passion, as a shadowy government conspiracy tracks their every move, they will fight to save each other. But only with their powers of second sight can they escape the terror of a perfect darkness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

A sexy stranger awakens Amy Shane in the dead of night. Lucas Vanderwyck barely has time to whisper a few words before 3 men burst into her bedroom and drag him away. But what Lucas reveals shatters Amy's safe little world forever. Lucas and Amy share a psychic gift--a gift that could put them in mortal danger. And as they share night after night of savage passion, as a shadowy government conspiracy tracks their every move, they will fight to save each other. But only with their powers of second sight can they escape the terror of a perfect darkness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,541,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible