People Skills: How to Assert Yourself,…

People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve… (1987)

by Robert Bolton

Not a book to read right through, although I tried. A reference book for problem situations. I found reading a chapter and talking over the concepts with my most trusted friend has helped me find better boundaries and become more assertive. Teaches how to stand up for yourself in a non agressive manner. Mostly so everyone has their dignity and I get what I want too. ( )
  LUMILOIS | Feb 1, 2013 |
A good overall introduction to the communication skills of listening, speaking and self assertion. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Apr 6, 2011 |
The chapter nine: developing three-part assertion messages can be utilized in workplaces.
The chapter ten is practical; it shows me how to handle potential defensiveness during my delivery of an assertion message.
  tedxprada2004 | Mar 27, 2009 |
People Skills is a communication-skills handbook that can help you eliminate communication problems
  LLLOFCOLUMBIA | Jun 4, 2007 |
With descriptions of common communication barriers, guidelines for improved listening, methods for developing assertiveness, conflict management and collaborative problem solving, this is an excellent resource for anyone interested in enhancing their human relationships through improved communication skills. It is especially useful for Leaders providing mother-to-mother support and is used as a training reference by the LLLI Human Relations Enrichment Department.
  LLLMontebello | Aug 25, 2006 |
To Dot My best friend, closest companion, fun playmate. Enabler of my various selves, nurturer of my dreams. Marvelous wie - sensitive, loving, and genuine with me, our children, parents, and friends. Effective in tasks that sustain our common life - colleague, teacher, partner. I love it that when I am with you I most often discover, choose, disclose the selves I really am. I love my experience of you as a life-ful, love-ful, value-ful person. Imperfect, changing, growing, becoming, yet rooted, consistent - a friend for all seasons. You are "something else."
When one person communicates to another through the medium of language something takes place between them that is found nowhere else in nature.

300 pages

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067162248X, Paperback)

A wall of silent resentment shuts you off from someone you love....You listen to an argument in which neither party seems to hear the other....Your mind drifts to other matters when people talk to you....

People Skills is a communication-skills handbook that can help you eliminate these and other communication problems. Author Robert Bolton describes the twelve most common communication barriers, showing how these "roadblocks" damage relationships by increasing defensiveness, aggressiveness, or dependency. He explains how to acquire the ability to listen, assert yourself, resolve conflicts, and work out problems with others. These are skills that will help you communicate calmly, even in stressful emotionally charged situations.

People Skills will show you

* How to get your needs met using simple assertion techniques

* How body language often speaks louder than words

* How to use silence as a valuable communication tool

* How to de-escalate family disputes, lovers' quarrels, and other heated arguments

Both thought-provoking and practical, People Skills is filled with workable ideas that you can use to improve your communication in meaningful ways, every day.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:25 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible