The Daughter by Pavlos Matesis

The Daughter (2002)

by Pavlos Matesis

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All (3)
I enjoyed this - a very clever novel about a Greek family during the Occupation during WWII. Told in a fairly light-hearted style despite being about some pretty brutal events, I was drawn into sympathising for a number of the characters and wanting to know more. I can't say much more without giving away the plot but I recommend it. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
The Daughter is the story of a young Greek mother during WWII, the civil war, and the turmoil after the wars. She takes an Italian lover during the war in exchange for food for her children, though the story is mostly about the aftermath of this decision.

I think this book had great potential that it did not do enough with. I'm not sure if things were lost in translation, but I felt the topics covered in the book would have had much more weight had it not been written stream-of-consciousness with sudden shifts between characters and third person, making the actual story hard to follow. Without spoiling it, the end left me very confused - I'm just not sure what Matesis intended for me to get out of the book. I might read this again later knowing the end to try and gather more meaning, but as of now the book left me confused about pretty much everything related to the story - what's real? What's not? And that sense of confusion diminishes the rest of the story - which is powerful only because it's very real and sometimes shocking. ( )
  mhenry4 | May 2, 2013 |

Pavlos Matesisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bouchard, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrand, BirgitÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Rural Greece during German occupation and the civil war. Meskaris, a young mother whose husband is away fighting, takes as her lover a shy Italian soldier, so as to better feed and clothe her children. With victory, the villagers will exact a terrible revenge.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible