A Picture Book of George Washington Carver…

A Picture Book of George Washington Carver (Picture Book Biography)

by David A. Adler

Other authors: Dan Brown (Illustrator)

Series: Picture Book Biographies

12016100,400 (3.84)None

A Picture Book of George Washington Carver tells the story of Carver's hard and inspirational life. I found that George Washington Carver was actually a sickly child but his illnesses never got in the way of his curiosity. He was initially denied entrance to university because of his race. Eventually, he graduated from Iowa State College where he studied agriculture, despite his passion and love of art. In 1896, Booker T. Washington invited Carver to work with him as the head of the Tuskegee Institute's Agriculture department. It was there Carver dedicated the rest of his life to improving the lives of all Southerners, especially African-Americans. I thought that this was a wonderful biography. I was engaged the entire time and the accompanying illustrations were beautifully done. Readers will come away with not only more knowledge of Carver's life but a better understanding of how he was as a person. ( )
  ilonon | Jan 24, 2017 |
A Picture Book of George Washington Carver had many facts about Carver's life and his work. I did not know that he was an artist and was called the Black Leonardo. I also did not know that Edison tried to get him to work with him. This book could be used in an art class. Students could read this and then view his paintings or try to use vegetable, magnolias and clay as he did. History students could learn more about his work with Booker T. Washington as well as what it was like being the first African American at Simpson College. In the Author's Note, it mentions his beliefs more align with Washington's than W.E.B. Du Bois. Students could compare and contrast their beliefs of race problems. Science students could learn more about his 300 by-products of peanuts and 100 products of sweet potatoes. ( )
  L.Fleming | Feb 6, 2016 |
This book was about how George Washington Carver succeeded as a black man and never gave up. He faced many struggles on his road to improving the life of African American. He never wanted any money for his knowledge. He moved around a lot so they he could learn more and help more. He also found a lot of ways to use peanuts and sweet potatoes. He wanted to help the southern farmers not ruin their land so they can survive and support their families better. This is why he found crops that do not kill the land as bad as cotton.
I enjoyed this book because it shows that he was determinate to help African American live a better life. The pictures were nice to look at, but I do not think they interacted as much as they could with the words. I think that the book is very great as far as showing never give up and education is the key to succeed. This book is also good because it don’t not only focus on how bad blacks were treat.
An extension to this book could be to show pictures of him and of his successes. Such as, him, his paintings, and more achievement that he conquered. Another extension could be talking a page dedicated to his favorite things in life. Such as, color, plant, and place he traveled to, and much more information like this. It would help the read be on a more personal level with him. ( )
  hollym0714 | Nov 18, 2015 |
Summary
George Washington Carver was a slave and both his parents were slaves. He was taken as a child but brought back to his owners but never reunited with his mother. George was very interested in plants and had his own garden. George went to high school and applied to college. He got accepted into a college but when he got there they refused to let him go there because he was black so he became a farmer. He later became a teacher and became head of the agriculture department. He came up with different uses for peanuts and sweet potatoes.
Personal Reaction
First I would like to say, I’m not big on history so I’m bias when I say this. Half way through the book I was bored out of my mind. I understand that there is going to be children that like history but for the children under 4 or 5, I would not suggest this book.
Extension
We could plant and grow sweet potatoes as a class. Make homemade peanut butter and eat it for snack.
  BrittanyCanales | Apr 16, 2015 |
George Carver was an African American who succeeded in agriculture by finding the many benefits of peanuts and sweet potatoes. I would read this book to students to teach them about agriculture and the different ways we use products. This is also a story about a successful African American so that will be beneficial for students to learn as well. ( )
  kdufrene | Apr 5, 2015 |

Adler, David A.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, DanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 082341633X, Paperback)

A brief biography of the African American scientist who overcame tremendous hardship to make unusual and important discoveries in the field of agriculture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible