The man of my dreams : a novel by Curtis…

The man of my dreams : a novel (edition 2006)

by Curtis Sittenfeld (Author)

Member:TheoClarke
Title:The man of my dreams : a novel
Authors:Curtis Sittenfeld (Author)
Info:London : Picador, 2006. Paperback. 272 pages.
Collections:Read but unowned, Purged
Tags:21st century, adolescence, Albuquerque, Boston, Chicago, college, coming of age, contemporary, dating, family, fiction, first thus, humour, love, novel, paperback, psychotherapy, published 2006, relationships, romance, sister, US author, USA

The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld

The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank (jbarry)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (thelittlematchgirl)
    thelittlematchgirl: both are stories about women some people will find unlikeable and some will want to be friends with.
    The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank (Soupdragon)

English (35)  Swedish (2)  All languages (37)
It started out quite promising, but never really developed as it might. Hannah is the central character and she has a tough time dealing with people and relationships. She says some things that are possible better left unsaid, the little white lie type untruths. To the question "Do you like my new boyfriend" her truthful response might be honest, but it makes for a complicated life.
It starts with her parents separation (not amicable) and her relationship with her father seems to colour her relationships with men. She thinks she had found the man of her dreams by half way, but he's dating her cousin and she seems to be waiting for him to work out that he's the one for her without her making any positive moves. A bit of a parallel between her childhood, where her father had to be accomodated, and her passivity as an adult. She does seem to come round and learn lessons, and ends the book a more rounded personality than at the start, and you can't but help wishing her well. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |
I can see why this book isn't as well-received or liked as much as Prep, and while I prefer Prep as well, I still really enjoyed The Man of My Dreams. There is something about Curtis Sittenfeld's writing of flawed characters that resonates with me.

Hannah was overly focused on an ideal romance and what it meant to have and achieve it that she pretty much stunted her development, as well as carrying the baggage that made her feel that way in the first place. It felt very "real" to me the way she went about. While not pretty or satisfying, Hannah and all her flaws, the trappings she fell into and created herself, the lessons she needed to learn and never learned from, made for a story I could enjoy, even if it wasn't tidy or perfect or even complete. ( )
  cantinera | Apr 1, 2013 |
Curtis Sittenfeld has an amazing knack for showing the messed up and unresolved lives of her female protagonists. Awkward, clumsy, screwed up, focusing on the ridiculous small things - her disfunctional main characters are defiantly realistic and contemporary. Hannah, child of divorce and awkward teenager stumbling towards resolution in adulthood is entirely characteristic. Any woman reading will feel stabs of recognition (almost always embarrassing ones) - and any man will find much to educate him!
  otterley | Jan 21, 2013 |
I'm not sure what it is I don't like about Sittenfeld's novels. I didn't like Prep all that much, but others seem to enjoy her work, so I thought I'd give The Man of My Dreams a try. It was OK. Quick read. Could be nice on an airplane or as a book to keep in your bag to read while you wait in line or at the doctor's office. It just didn't really grab me. I didn't like really any of the characters, didn't empathize with them. At best, I felt sorry for them. Mostly I just wanted them to stop their whining. As with Prep, the main reaction I had was one of discomfort watching the rather pitiful protagonist make the mistakes that I think we all, to some degree or another, make during our teens and early twenties. I just don't find it enjoyable to revisit that discomfort and lack of self-assurance. And frankly, I don't find the retelling of the personal journey all that interesting.

I also find it entirely unrealistic that the older sister would have left her four-month-old child in San Francisco to travel to Boston to help her sister move. It didn't seem to follow her personality at all and did not endear her to me as a character at all (and I'm fairly certain Allison's willingness to help Hannah was supposed to show what a good sister she was, not cast doubts on her as a mother). ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |
1 June 1991
Julia Roberts is getting married. It’s true: Her dress will be an eight-thousand-dollar custom-made two-piece gown from the Tyler Trafficante West Hollywood salon, and at the reception following the ceremony, she’ll be able to pull off the train and the long part of the skirt to dance. The bridesmaids’ dresses will be sea-foam green, and their shoes (Manolo Blahnik, $425 a pair) will be dyed to match. The bridesmaids themselves will be Julia’s agents (she has two), her makeup artist, and a friend who’s also an actress, though no one has ever heard of her. The cake will be four-tiered, with violets and sea-foam ribbons of icing.

Oh god my life sucks
Cuz I quit before I start
I'm lame. Is it Daddy's fault?
(citygirl)

“Being raised in an unstable household makes you understand that the world doesn’t exist to accommodate you, which, in Hannah’s observation, is something a lot of people struggle to understand well into adulthood.”–from The Man of My Dreams

In her acclaimed debut novel, Prep, Curtis Sittenfeld created a touchstone with her pitch-perfect portrayal of adolescence. Her prose is as intensely realistic and compelling as ever in The Man of My Dreams, a disarmingly candid and sympathetic novel about the collision of a young woman’s fantasies of family and love with the challenges and realities of adult life.

Hannah Gavener is fourteen in the summer of 1991. In the magazines she reads, celebrities plan elaborate weddings; in Hannah’s own life, her parents’ marriage is crumbling. And somewhere in between these two extremes–just maybe–lie the answers to love’s most bewildering questions. But over the next decade and a half, as she moves from Philadelphia to Boston to Albuquerque, Hannah finds that the questions become more rather than less complicated: At what point can you no longer blame your adult failures on your messed-up childhood? Is settling for someone who’s not your soul mate an act of maturity or an admission of defeat? And if you move to another state for a guy who might not love you back, are you being plucky–or just pathetic?

None of the relationships in Hannah’s life are without complications. There’s her father, whose stubbornness Hannah realizes she’s unfortunately inherited; her gorgeous cousin, Fig, whose misbehavior alternately intrigues and irritates Hannah; Henry, whom Hannah first falls for in college, while he’s dating Fig; and the boyfriends who love her more or less than she deserves, who adore her or break her heart. By the time she’s in her late twenties, Hannah has finally figured out what she wants most–but she doesn’t yet know whether she’ll find the courage to go after it.

Full of honesty and humor, The Man of My Dreams is an unnervingly insightful and beautifully written examination of the outside forces and personal choices that make us who we are.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:33 -0400)

"Hannah Gavener is fourteen in the summer of 1991. In the magazines she reads, celebrities plan elaborate weddings; in Hannah's own life, her parents' marriage is crumbling. And somewhere in between these two extremes - just maybe - lie the answers to love's most bewildering questions. But over the next decade and a half, as she moves from Philadelphia to Boston to Albuquerque, Hannah finds that the questions become more rather than less complicated: At what point can you no longer blame your adult failures on your messed-up childhood? Is settling for someone who's not your soul mate an act of maturity or an admission of defeat? And if you move to another state for a guy who might not love you back, are you being plucky - or just pathetic?" "None of the relationships in Hannah's life are without complications. There's her father, whose stubbornness Hannah realizes she's unfortunately inherited; her gorgeous cousin, Fig, whose misbehaviour alternately intrigues and irritates Hannah; Henry, whom Hannah first falls for in college, while he's dating Fig; and the boyfriends who love her more or less than she deserves, who adore her or break her heart. By the time she's in her late twenties, Hannah has finally figured out what she wants most - but she doesn't know yet whether she'll find the courage to go after it."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,999,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible