A Dangerous Affair by Caro Peacock

Member:alynnk
Title:A Dangerous Affair
Authors:Caro Peacock
Info:Avon A (no date), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:@requested: early reviewers, @wishlist: to read

Death of a Dancer by Caro Peacock

The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Perry's Thomas & Charolette Pitt Victorian mystery series.

I rarely pay attention to book reviews which proclaim any novel to be 'a real page-turner' that the reviewer simply 'couldn't put down'. The second novel in Caro Peacock's Liberty Lane series, however, finds me sorely tempted to employ such enthusiastic praise myself. I enjoyed the first novel, Death at Dawn, which I read last year, but must have been in the right mood when I picked up the sequel today, because I read from cover to cover without pause. Really!

My introduction to Liberty Lane, an amateur lady detective of independent spirit if not means, was slightly hazy when I started reading, and for once I was glad of a brief update in the first few chapters. After the death of her father and the departure of her brother, Liberty has established herself in a modest home of her own, with the company of Mrs Martley the midwife, and a protective circle of friends including Amos Legge the groom, and musicians Toby Kennedy and Daniel Suter, old friends of Liberty's father. Confident and practical, Libby is outraged by her brother's suggestion that she should marry Daniel for security, but when she goes to talk with her friend at the theatre, she finds that his heart is already engaged to a young dancer. After a catfight on stage, Daniel's lover is framed for the poisoning of the prima donna, and Liberty is once again personally involved in a murder mystery.

Even though I will admit to not being overly familiar with the dawn of the Victorian era, the historical accuracy - and atmosphere - of Caro Peacock's novels are near flawless. From the streets of London to the workings of a theatre, the reader is drawn into Liberty's world. The first person narrative is also engaging, and Liberty is the type of strong, active heroine who can carry a whole novel. Her voice is friendly without being introspective, instructive but not patronising, and filled with personality. Yes, the 'Victorian lady detective' is a rather overused character trope at the moment, but even though Liberty has rather radical views for her time, situation and gender, her independence is somehow fitting and never anachronistic. Daniel is also endearing, and I hope that he returns in the next two stories.

The identity of the murderer kept me guessing until the end, but then I never try to solve the mystery ahead of the detective anyway. The clues are there, I think, and the denouement contains a surprising twist. Liberty's clandestine alliance with Disraeli, her mysterious yet respectful sponsor, continues from the first novel, and he looks set to make a career out of her amateur sleuthing. I can't wait to read on! ( )
1 vote AdonisGuilfoyle | Jul 22, 2011 |
I'd forgotten about this series. This is the second book by Caro Peacock - the author is a literary reincarnation of Gillian Linscott. By the looks of it I really enjoyed the first in the series when I read it a couple of years back but I'd since forgotten about it. This story took me a little while to get into but I romped through it after that. The central character is Liberty Lane - a feisty young lady in early Victorian London - I suspect the author has thought it all through and Liberty isn't completely anachronistic, though even if she is it doesn't change the fact that this is well written and entertaining. I think I'll read the third in the series soon before I forget about it again! ( )
1 vote nocto | Dec 30, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice fast read. I wish I'd had the first book in this series, because it sounds interesting. I like the Victorian setting, and the main character is just the sort of unconventional heroine to catch my attention. She's not too shy and demure to act on hunches or hold her own against people who should be able to best her. I wish it had been longer. I'm not sure if this is more geared toward kids or adults--there are adult themes but it doesn't seem any more explicit or gory than a lot of the YA out there. The inclusion of Disraeli is fun, and I'd like to see what the next book in the series is capable of. ( )
  etoiline | Aug 24, 2009 |
Spunky gal of no means accepts money from Disraeli, of all people, to investigate a murder. ( )
  picardyrose | Aug 16, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as am Early Review book and just got behind on reading. It has an interesting premise and the story was pretty good, but I did not know that it was a sequel to "A Foreign Affair." I believe that the story would have been much more enjoyable had I read the first book. The author, Peacock spends more time focusing on her already established character of Liberty, while letting the new character Jenny suffer under development.
I just didn't have strong feelings for Jenny and what would become of her did not bother me, though I was rooting for Liberty to come out on top. ( )
  ELBrown | Jul 12, 2009 |
A Dangerous Affair is the same book as Death of a Dancer.

The Augustus theatre in Victorian London likes to put on a good show. And when a public spat erupts between Columbine and Jenny, two dancers on the stage, it's soon the talk of the town. But the rivalry comes to a dramatic conclusion that wasn't part of the script - Columbine dead and Jenny arrested for her murder. As far as the jury's concerned, it's an open-and-shut case, but her friend Liberty Lane believes otherwise.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dangerous Affair by Caro Peacock was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible