Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins

Bring on the Blessings

by Beverly Jenkins

Having recently finished The Hunger Games trilogy, I found myself looking for a book that was light, entertaining yet contained an element of redeeming social value . . . Bring on the Blessings fit the bill! Sweet, somewhat spicy and smile-inducing - yes. However, as with any story that revolves around the lives of foster children, there was a serious side. I enjoyed this book and I hope you will enjoy it as well! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Ms. Bernadine Brown has hundreds of millions of dollars following divorce from her philandering, wealthy husband. After she cushions the blow by world travel and a little self-indulgence, she settles down to find where she can make a difference. Then she learns that a small town, Henry Adams, Kansas is for sale. For a paltry few million she buys it and begins transforming it into a heaven on earth – one she can share with a few fortunate others.

The “others” turn out to be foster kids, kids who haven’t caught a single break in their short lives. In bringing them to Henry Adams, she saves not only their lives but the lives of their foster parents, all of whom need a break, too, including Ms. Brown.

The premise of this book is magical. I received a free copy of the latest in the series from LibraryThing and am now going back to read the earlier ones. The two I’ve read are feel-good books that lower blood pressure and increase goodwill. They’re lovely books with a wonderful message about getting along. Readers will learn a bit about black history, too. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 1, 2015 |
I found this a very weak book. Spoilers could follow. There are so many cliches and things are so pat. Plus the extreme wealth is very offputting. The book is clearly set up for sequels but I don't think it leaves a person caring what happens to these people. It would all follow a set pattern anyway.
  franoscar | Jan 7, 2015 |
This book grabbed me on lots of levels: the foster parenting concerns, small towns slipping away as people age or move away, broken lives that need mending, family histories getting lost as generations no longer grow up near other relatives. I kept reading when I should have been doing chores, but I couldn't help it. I just had to learn how Bernadine's project turned out. I hope that Beverly Jenkins writes a sequel to let us see whether the town of Henry Adams recovered with the help of the new children and their foster parents. ( )
  okjlsaz | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book is good clean fun. It is unbelievable but yet the story and the characters are so "feel good" that I completely enjoyed the book. ( )
  bpreed | Jan 17, 2014 |
Blessings come in many forms,and the outstanding Avon editors I have worked with during m career have been blessings indeed.  Ellen Edwards, Christine Zika, Cecilia Oh, Monique Patterson, Erika Tsang, Esi Sogah--this one is for you.
Bernadine Edwards grew up with her two sisters in the modest home of their loving parents on Detroit's west side.

On Bernadine Brown's fifty-second birthday she received an unexpected gift—she caught her husband, Leo, cheating with his secretary. She was hurt—angry, too—but she didn't cry woe is me. Nope, she hired herself a top-notch lawyer and ended up with a cool $275 million. Having been raised in the church, she knew that when much is given much is expected, so she asked God to send her a purpose.

When a post-Reconstruction African-American community succumbs to a desperate need for funds and purpose, its mayor puts the small town up for sale and finds a buyer in Bernardine Brown, who believes the town's sale to be a sign from God.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beverly Jenkins's book Bring on the Blessings was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible