Rich girl, poor girl by Faith Baldwin

Rich girl, poor girl (1936)

by Faith Baldwin

111820,536 (1)None

As part of my effort to de-stress my life I have been reading vintage fiction, and especially books that would be called “Women’s Fiction”. I picked up this Faith Baldwin novel as part of my de-stressing program.

This is the story of Jonathan Kimber, a recently graduated medical doctor who moves to a small New England town. Jonathan quickly finds himself in between two of the town’s most eligible single women - Rose Ward, the sweet and wholesome high school teacher, and Sally Sutton, the sophisticated daughter of an ex-senator who runs the town. Several predictable events follow, and Jonathan ends up engaged to Rose.

Now, I wasn’t reading this book because it was highly intellectually stimulating, but – I thought the writing was awful. A lot of the dialogue sounds wooden and there is limited description of the characters, the places and the events. I just could not engage with this book. ( )
  SilverKitty | Jan 10, 2014 |
To Adelaide A. Sherer who is always asking me - in her professional capacity - "Where's that dedication?"
When he awakened and looked from the windows of his lower berth he saw the river, blue under a flawless June sky, the steep streets and dirt roads and little houses of small towns, the lilacs still in bloom in this north country, and across the river the farms of Canada sloping to the water's edge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,444,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible