The Treasure Map of Boys by E. Lockhart

The Treasure Map of Boys (2009)

by E. Lockhart

Series: Ruby Oliver (3)

This is probably my favorite of the Ruby Oliver books because Ruby grows up a lot more. She still has her same problems, but she becomes much better at dealing with them in my opinion which makes her a more sympathetic and dynamic character. Can't wait for the last installment in this series, especially with the way Lockhart ends this one. ( )
  IAmChrysanthemum | Jun 8, 2013 |
Ruby's older but... I dunno, she really hasn't grown up as much as I'd expect. She, and her friends, seem to still mentally be sophomores. Or maybe the junior kids I know are extra mature. I had a hard time trying to reconcile the apparent ages of the characters with their stated ages. That being said, it was still a very enjoyable book, and I like the ways in which Ruby begins to take control of her life. I also like her level of confusion, that reads dead-on to me. However, Jackson hasn't a single redeeming quality. Not one.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
June 21-22, 2011

Cute! I really liked it, and I'm super excited to see what happens next! Poor Ruby just wants a boyfriend and she has to go through SO MUCH CRAP because of it! I feel so bad for her!! High school is already hard without all your friends turning against you and your boyfriend being a complete douche. But things are starting to look up, FINALLY. Although the fact that this book is called [b:Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver|8013391|Real Live Boyfriends Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)|E. Lockhart|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1277083385s/8013391.jpg|6959619], so I can see that things aren't going to go fairy-tale-ending-like... :) We know she's going to start dating Noel now, so I'm guessing the wrench in the tire is Hutch... or possibly Gideon... but more likely Hutch. She DID go to anti-Spring-Fling with him (Van Halen concert), right? Good luck, Ruby!!

November 1, 2009

This book was really good. I'm not sure I'm in love with the way it ended (it was nice, but I would have liked more, please!), but the series isn't over, so I'm not too worried.

I think Megan (Meghan?) is a totally awesome friend! I'm so so glad Ruby has her!! And although things were pretty CRAP for Ruby this book (not as bad as book 1, but...), I think things are really starting to look up now! Yay! Ruby deserves it! Geesh, she gets a LOT of crap from people that she TOTALLY doesn't deserve!

One thing I really liked about this book is that I felt we really got more insight into Ruby's character this book. I feel like I have a more complete idea of who she is and what makes her tick. I also really feel like she's maturing — learning to stand up for herself and not worry SO SO much about what other people think. That was refreshing... hard for teenagers, I think, but totally refreshing!

I can't wait for the next book! Apparently it's called: [b:Real Live Boyfriends|8309134|Real Live Boyfriends Yes. Boyfriends, plural. If my life weren't complicated, I wouldn't be Ruby Oliver|E. Lockhart|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wFW1P8RpL._SL75_.jpg|6959619]... ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Ruby, you are A. Mess. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
These Ruby Oliver books have truly wormed their way into my dark, judgmental heart. Reading series books all in a row has been a reading goal of mine ever since I got partway into the Wheel of Time books, took a break and couldn't remember anything by the time I came back to it, meaning I would have to start over. Still, I don't follow through on my series-reading plan most of the time, because sometimes you just don't want to begin the next book immediately after closing the one you've just completed. With Ruby Oliver, I want to segue directly into the next one, because I just need to know what will become of these flawed and loveable characters.

To a large degree, I do not have a lot to say about these books besides what I've said in my previous reviews, which I do not see a point in repeating ad nauseum. Ruby remains a marvelous character, with ups and downs, but general positive improvement. She grows and changes, but in a slow, natural way. Her whole situation feels so lifelike, and so does she. Her narration remains spot-on, consistently Ruby.

These books have been incredibly consistent in quality and narrative voice. In the previous installment, The Boy Book, I encountered some difficulties with infodumping information about the first book, but Lockhart locked that down here, keeping any needed back story for an unfamiliar reader to Ruby's footnotes. With that small weakness fixed, the writing is perfect and engaging for anyone who appreciates Ruby's way of expressing herself.

One aspect of the series I've as yet neglected to mention is Ruby's feminist viewpoint. She does wonderful things like getting boys to contribute to the bake sale, insisting that the idea that only women should bake is antiquated (true). Of course, Ruby still suffers from our society, struggling with labels like slut, and whether she's a good or bad person because of how she behaves with boys (she's not). I love to imagine Ruby in college and squelching these unhealthy societal attitudes from her mind, and loving herself wholly. Speaking of that, Ruby is not one of these heroines who goes on and on about how ugly she is; nor does she have perfect self-confidence. Basically, she's a normal girl who feels sexy sometimes and like a roly poly leper troll other times.

If you've been enjoying the Ruby Oliver books, The Treasure Map of Boys will not leave you disappointed, but will however leave you wanting more, namely the final book in the series, Real Live Boyfriends. Thankfully, I'm reading this next, because I just have to know what will happen with Ruby, Noel, Meghan and the rest. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A Seattle sixteen-year-old juggles therapy, running a school bake sale, coping with her performance artist mother, growing distant from an old friend, and conflicting feelings about her ex-boyfriend and potential new boyfriends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible