Serendipity Market by Penny Blubaugh

Serendipity Market

by Penny Blubaugh

I loved this book. Mama Inez knows that the tilt of the world is off and they need the power of stories to set it right. Mama Inez invites 10 people to the market at the end of the world and tell their stories to set the world right.

I found the beginning a little bit confusing; I had to reread parts of it a few times, but once I started meeting the story tellers it all comes together. The story's are familiar fairy tales, folk tales, and nursery rhymes but all with a twist. Sometimes the twist is as simple as telling the tale from another characters point of view; other times the tale is more drastically altered, changing the species, sex or sexual orientation of the character. All of the tales are entertaining, and it's definitely worth the read. This may be one of my new favorites. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
A woman, Mama Inez sets out to invite eleven people to tell their stories in order to set the world in balance. The power of their storytelling will surely set things right. Each story is told in the POV of each of the tellers. The tales are those readers will recognize such as Cinderella but told with a twist. :)
Now, Penny Blubaugh..that girl can write!
Meet the tellers:
A Lizard turned into a man by a fairy godmother in order to take a girl to a ball. The Lizard's story just broke my heart, poor guy. :(
Clarisse and Renata, two sisters who find a dying mer man.
John who buys magic beans from a guy named Jack.
Earl and Naddie, twin brother and sister elves, who at the age of 15 help a shoe maker out.
Maisie who at the age of 18 has to save a special someone from the clutches of an evil Elf Queen. :)
B.J, Wink and Nodia, this trio races on a flying boat.
Zola, a prince who's parents only want him to find his princess so they can get an heir, but Zola is not looking for a princess, he's looking for a prince.
Sue who only wants to ride a the horse of a mysterious stranger who rode the firework.
Rosie, who wearing her bright read scarf travels through the woods in order to get to her grandmother, Mama Inez's house but the journey gets dangerous.

At first I just wasn't sure what to make of this book just by having read the back cover. I mean, I was not expecting anything like this. The book completely blew me away! I loved it! Each story was told in such an incredible way and I just couldn't help but be awed by it all. The way Blubaugh describes things is amazing. :D
My favorite story is the Lizard's. It just broke my heart. Poor guy, I still can't get over that, it was just sooo sad!
I loved pretty much everything about this book, but two things. I didn't like how sometimes the stories within the story where slow. I also didn't like how the author does not really go into detail about how the world is being put back to normal.
Overall it's a beautiful read so I don't mind too much. :)
-tvandbookaddict.blogspot.com ( )
  robin123 | Apr 12, 2009 |

When the world begins to seem unbalanced, Mama Inez calls ten storytellers to the Serendipity Market and, through the power of their magical tales, the balance of the world is corrected once again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,386,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible