The Long Way Home by Z. A. Maxfield

The Long Way Home (2008)

by Z. A. Maxfield

I have been looking for this book on Amazon for months now, but could never find it. Now I know it is because the author was revamping it.

How lucky was I when I got sick and read while high on cold medicine?

It has all of the elements I like in a book: romance, humor, a person with a psychic gift, a cop, and a murder mystery. We even get a bit of angst, but not too much that I am rolling my eyes.

The only bad thing (if you could call it that) was I figured out the killer fairly early. (shrugs)

One of my favorite authors! ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
So vague in places that it left me confused as to what had just happened. The MCs went from tentative friends to groping in the galley and deciding they were in love so quickly I felt like I'd somehow missed several pages of relationship development.

Funny moments, decent mystery (although the killer was obvious the moment he appeared on the page), and a cute ending. ( )
  jules0623 | Mar 31, 2013 |

jules0623 | Mar 29, 2013 |
Kevin Quinn lives in Wyoming, his best friend a dog he has just had to put down. But his brother-in-law calls him back to California because ever since his near death accident, Kevin has a new, unwanted skill. He occassionally gets a 'read' off objects, which may help the police in their search for a serial killer of young boys. Connor Dougal a new detective is assigned to look after Kevin. All sorts of things ensue.
I know there were plot holes you could drive a truck through, and the mystery didn't really work (or seem that mysterious) but Kevin and Conner did work for me, their needs and passion were engaging and alive in the book and I rushed through it, and was sorry to lose them at the end. I onlly hope Maxfield writes more books with these 2 men, because I thought they were terrific. The side characters were equally 3 dimensional and a cut above the usual fare. So while the plot wasn't strong, the characterizations were and they held me through out the book. ( )
  amf0001 | Jul 19, 2010 |
Kevin was a cop until a terrible accident changed his life. Since the accident, he's developed pyschic abilities which he sees as more of a curse than a gift. He's estranged from his family and doesn't know his own worth. When his brother-in-law calls him in to help with a missing persons case, he is reluctant. These types of cases have caused him pain and humiliation in the past. However, he can't refuse his help when he sees pictures of the young boys who have gone missing. Kevin travels back to his hometown and meets Connor. Connor has issues of his own. He hasn't admitted to anyone or to himself that he's gay; plus, he has a tragedy in his past that he hasn't been able to deal with. Each man must overcome their pasts in order to find happiness and solve the case.With this book, Maxfield shoots straight to the top of my "must buy" list. Many times, when I pick up M/M romance, all I get is fluff. And that's fine. I like fluff. Heck, I love fluff, but Maxfield's stories are so much more. She writes with an amazing blend of wry humor and angst. I cried within the first twelve pages of the story, but I also laughed several times. She tells an intriguing story. Her characters are believable and likeable even though they aren't perfect. The conflicts are interesting, poignant, and multi-layered. I will read this book again. I hope that Maxfield will write a sequel. There are so many possibilities for these characters. ( )
1 vote Eyre_32 | Jul 18, 2009 |
This book is for my children. How lucky I am!

I get to borrow you, for this little while, from your future. Thank you.
May God bless each of you always.
It was always an adventure driving the icy Wyoming roads in winter.

From Aspen Mountain Press:When young boys go missing, psychic Kevin Quinn is called in to help the police department. Quinn's partner is Connor Dougal, a newer detective on the force, and a skeptic when it comes to psychic abilities. That is until strange things happen to Kevin when he touches objects belonging to the missing kids. Even more disturbing is the way Kevin can participate in Conner's dreams. Conner's past is more tied to the current case than anyone realizes and it's only by lancing the pain of the past there is a hope for the future.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible