Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason
    Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason (bcquinnsmom)
    Lonely Hearts by John Harvey (ansate)
    ansate: Erlendur and Resnick remind me a lot of each other, and both series paint vivid pictures of the cities where they take place.
    The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (Disco_grinch)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (dreamydress48)
    The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo (Disco_grinch)
    Pyroman by Jón Hallur Stefánsson (2810michael)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (Anonymous user)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (ANeumann)

English (78)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (92)
This very intriguing novel introduces Inspector Elendur Sveinsson of the Reykjavik Police Department. Erlendur is in the throes of middle age and not in the best of health. He lives alone and has two troubled children, including a daughter who's in debt to drug dealers.

An elderly man is murdered in his basement apartment and the killer leaves an enigmatic note lying on the body. Some of Erlender's colleagues believe that the victim, whose name is Holberg, was killed by someone attempting to rob him. But the note makes no sense in that context and Erlendur continues to look for another explanation.

He discovers that over forty years earlier, Holberg had been accused of a particularly vicious rape but had not been convicted of the crime. Erlendur begins unraveling the tangled history of the victim's early life in the hope that it will shed some light on the mystery surrounding his death. The investigation resonates deeply in Erlendur's own life as he wrestles with the questions of family, love and obligation, both personally and in the crime he is investigating.

Because of the setting and the general circumstances of Erlendur's life, this book has a very Scandinavian feel about it. It takes a while for the momentum to gather, but once it does the reader is off on a compelling ride through a very tangled and unusual mystery. It's hard to imagine a crime fiction reader who won't put this book down anxiously awaiting the arrival of the second Erlendur case. ( )
  Hanneri | Oct 28, 2014 |
Clearing up the wrongs of the past seems the overarching theme of the Erlendur series; I've only read one before (Hypothermia), but blurb for most of the others points to something similar. When your entire country has a population around the same as Reading or Birkenhead*, with a considerably lower crime rate than either, the need for historic cases and old remains to add complexity makes sense if you're going to make even a slight nod to realism in detective novels.

Read slowly, the simple sentence structures reminded me of older children's and YA books. But that also means this stuff can be read three-quarters asleep without effort, or, more awake, at a speed where you're aware of taking in meaning rather than specific words - blink and you've read 20 pages by accident. It is entirely clear. There are none of the distracting stylistic annoyances of, say, Harry Potter. From A to B with zero fuss. One possible blunder: a genetic disease, with apparently dominant inheritance, which is passed father to daughter, in which males get minor symptoms and females die before they are old enough to have children, is unlikely. A condition in which males were worse affected would be more realistic, but would have stymied the plot as it would have had to be recessive. But hey, it is fiction.

Possibly my favourite thing about this book was the maps. FOUR maps! (Two are inset.) And every single location mentioned in the novel is on at least one of the maps! Amazing. (I know because I looked - I always like to have a sense of where it's all happening spatially. I feel much more there than with only words. Just as I've always had a map in my head of where I and people I know are, in the country or the world, I make one for characters.) If only there were maps this good with every book.

Readers bored of the stereotyped divorced, smoking, drinking, depressed lead detective maybe shouldn't prioritise the Erlendur books. I haven't read enough of those to find them obviously tiresome, and in any case I'm interested in characters who are aware of being uncomfortably close to the other side of the service they work on. Erlendur isn't an old school Sweeney style thug, but we learn that both of his twentysomething kids are addicts (one may be regarded as a misfortune...) and there's a scene where the detective loses his temper destructively.

The following paragraph is marginally spoilerish, so you may want to skip it if you mean to read the book any time soon.

As a crime novel, this was entirely serviceable, a decent read with no obvious faults, in which a nasty piece of work gets his long-awaited comeuppance and his victims get recognition, and I'd have given it four stars. But I disagree with part of the socio-political point the story makes. To put it in general terms... "Jar City" refers to old collections of organs sometimes made without consent - the British equivalent would be Alder Hey. It is presented as a parallel with the Icelandic genetic and genealogical database which made the news in the late 90s / early 2000s. But instead of attacking issues such as government control and big data, or gene patenting, the story presents gaining knowledge of a family secret as highly destructive and destabilising (more so than the secrecy itself) - rather than something to learn from, and understand and better manage one's own life and relationships with others, something that should have been known and talked about much earlier.

* current figures, CBA to dig for UK city and Icelandic numbers from 2000 when the book was published
  antonomasia | Oct 19, 2014 |
A good detective thriller based in Iceland. The story is the best part of the book, with many twists and turns along with a very interesting ending. Inspector Erlendur is a solid main character, but there is something lacking in all of the characters Indridason create - a lack of real depth that would take this story to another level. While Jar City was an enjoyable story, it was missing that intangible quality that would lead me to continue the series. Solid but not engrossing. ( )
  csayban | Aug 31, 2014 |
Really 3.5 stars. This was a first-rate police procedural as well as a slight jab at the Icelandic gene pool. The strength of this, as Elizabeth notes in her review, is that the reader is always learning facts and clues alongside the detectives; however, the withholding of the first clue until midway through the book made no narrative sense. I found some of the "at home" episodes a bit overdrawn, as if Erlendur's life must be in turmoil for him to either do his job properly—perhaps out of a shared sense of suffering with the victims—or else to elicit the reader's sympathy for him; I also found his daughter to be rather annoying.

I look forward to reading more of Indridason's work as well as exploring in more depth the contemporary European crime/mystery scene, a scene that puts the American and even most British counterparts to shame. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
Tainted Blood/Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason is my third book in this police procedural series.

This is actually the first of the series and it's original title was Jar City. Detective Erlendur (Erlendur is his first name as in Iceland that is how people are referred to) is a burdened man, much like Harry Hole and Harry Bosch, but it doesn't take away from his police work.

In Tainted Blood, a man is found murdered with a note pinned to his chest and the only odd thing the police find in his room is a photograph of a grave. The story shows how an act of violence changes the lives of more people than just the initial victim. ( )
  mysterymax | May 16, 2014 |
Indridason raises in a thoroughly gripping manner not just questions of paternity in a small nation, but wider issues of the use of genetic information, culminating in an ending that proves impressively moving.
added by vancouverdeb | editTime Out - London

"This is a dark, haunting novel, with a protagonist who searches for a murderer and finds his own humanity. The emotionally wrought ending caught me off guard and touched me in a way that few mystery novels do."--
added by vancouverdeb | editThe Boston Globe

"Award-winning Iceland author Indridason makes a compelling American debut with this first in a series featuring Reykjavík police inspector Erlendur. . . . Quiet, morose, dryly witty, Erlendur makes a fine, complex companion. . . . Those who enjoy Karin Fossum, Henning Mankell, or Janwillem van de Wetering will welcome this new series."--

Arnaldur Indriðasonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cosimini, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's all one great big bloody mire. ---Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson
Voor Anna
The words were written in pencil on a piece of paper placed on top of the body.
Jar City is also published as Tainted Blood
Original title: Mýrin

From Gold Dagger Award--winning author Arnaldur Indridason comes a Reykjavík thriller introducing Inspector Erlendur

When a lonely old man is found dead in his Reykjavík flat, the only clues are a cryptic note left by the killer and a photograph of a young girl's grave. Inspector Erlendur discovers that many years ago the victim was accused, but not convicted, of an unsolved crime, a rape. Did the old man's past come back to haunt him? As Erlendur reopens this very cold case, he follows a trail of unusual forensic evidence, uncovering secrets that are much larger than the murder of one old man.

An international sensation, the Inspector Erlendur series has sold more than two million copies worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson investigates the killing of a solitary man, found murdered in his Reykjavk apartment, and discovers that the dead man had been accused but not convicted of a rape forty years earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible