Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason
    Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason (bcquinnsmom)
    Lonely Hearts by John Harvey (ansate)
    ansate: Erlendur and Resnick remind me a lot of each other, and both series paint vivid pictures of the cities where they take place.
    The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (Disco_grinch)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (dreamydress48)
    The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø (Disco_grinch)
    Pyroman by Jón Hallur Stefánsson (2810michael)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (Anonymous user)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (ANeumann)

English (92)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (106)
I chose this because we're thinking of taking a trip to Iceland and I wanted to read some fiction set there to get a feel for the location. This wasn't the best choice for what I was after, but it was a fine mystery nonetheless. I probably would have rated it 3.5 stars if possible. It was solid, interesting, dark; I think I read it in three sittings (thanks, time change, for my ridiculous new habit of waking at 4:30 a.m.!) The mystery itself was engrossing; I think I didn't love it because of its darker nature - the ugliness of the crimes, the suffering of so many of the characters (senselessly, seemingly). There is almost no levity present. Erlandur is an interesting, flawed protagonist - I can see how there would be more stories based around him. I'm not entirely certain if I'll continue with the series or not.

I can totally see this being a TV series from the BBC. (Is it already? It seems right up their alley). ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Arnaldur Inridason is becoming one of my favorite mystery writers. Unfortunately, the "climate" of Iceland only allows me to read him on a timed basis....like when the sun is shining. :-) ( )
  LouisaK | Feb 2, 2016 |
Indridason raises in a thoroughly gripping manner not just questions of paternity in a small nation, but wider issues of the use of genetic information, culminating in an ending that proves impressively moving.
added by vancouverdeb | editTime Out - London

"This is a dark, haunting novel, with a protagonist who searches for a murderer and finds his own humanity. The emotionally wrought ending caught me off guard and touched me in a way that few mystery novels do."--
added by vancouverdeb | editThe Boston Globe

"Award-winning Iceland author Indridason makes a compelling American debut with this first in a series featuring Reykjavík police inspector Erlendur. . . . Quiet, morose, dryly witty, Erlendur makes a fine, complex companion. . . . Those who enjoy Karin Fossum, Henning Mankell, or Janwillem van de Wetering will welcome this new series."--

Arnaldur Indriðasonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cosimini, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's all one great big bloody mire
- Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson
The words were written in pencil on a piece of paper placed on top of the body.
Jar City is also published as Tainted Blood
Original title: Mýrin

From Gold Dagger Award--winning author Arnaldur Indridason comes a Reykjavík thriller introducing Inspector Erlendur

When a lonely old man is found dead in his Reykjavík flat, the only clues are a cryptic note left by the killer and a photograph of a young girl's grave. Inspector Erlendur discovers that many years ago the victim was accused, but not convicted, of an unsolved crime, a rape. Did the old man's past come back to haunt him? As Erlendur reopens this very cold case, he follows a trail of unusual forensic evidence, uncovering secrets that are much larger than the murder of one old man.

An international sensation, the Inspector Erlendur series has sold more than two million copies worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson investigates the killing of a solitary man, found murdered in his Reykjavk apartment, and discovers that the dead man had been accused but not convicted of a rape forty years earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible