Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason
Recently added byJernsaksa, carinafasth, onemack, private library, LB121100, JulieW121, charl08, camillemiko
    Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason (bcquinnsmom)
    Lonely Hearts by John Harvey (ansate)
    ansate: Erlendur and Resnick remind me a lot of each other, and both series paint vivid pictures of the cities where they take place.
    The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (Disco_grinch)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (dreamydress48)
    The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø (Disco_grinch)
    Pyroman by Jón Hallur Stefánsson (2810michael)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (Anonymous user)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (ANeumann)

English (80)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (94)
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

Hm, I don’t have a whole lot to say about this one really. It was an okay crime novel with a few good twists, but I found it to be somewhat dull and boring at times. I also felt the plot moved far too slowly, and that most of the plot points could have been covered in half the pages. Also, the characters, especially the main characters, read as somewhat one-dimensional throughout the book, and I thought their development could have used a little more focus.

Also, I know this isn’t the author’s fault, but I found the writing in this to be very flat and flavorless. I know translations are hard, especially from a ridiculously complicated language like Icelandic, but I feel like, if I’d read this book in its original language, it probably would have come off as a bit more interesting, even with the plot and characters the way they are. There was just something lacking in the prose, and I felt that, often times, the narration was somewhat awkwardly worded. I really think this book could use a better translation.

Again, though, that’s not the author’s fault. But it is a factor a reader should consider before picking this up, so I feel the need to mention it.

All in all, Jar City is really just…okay. It’s not particularly special on any front, and it doesn’t stick out among the dozens of bestselling entries in the Scandinavian crime thriller category.

I’ve been told that some of the other books in this series are better than this one, so I might try another, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend this series on the basis of this book alone.

Is It Worth Reading?

If you like crime fiction, and you have nothing to read at the moment, go for it. If you’re looking for something a little more exciting, perhaps not. ( )
  TherinKnite | Jul 15, 2015 |

I read this at the same time as The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. They actually have some elements in common - both are about untangling decades-old family secrets, involving sex, violence and intellectual endeavour. In Jar City, the intellectual endeavour is science, both forensic medicine and the Icelandic national genetic research database; and the mode of the novel is a detective story. The winning factor is the portrayal of this small island society, where almost everyone knows almost everyone, but people still slip between the cracks and the genetic mapping project starts to uncover hidden history. Our detective hero is much more at home with ordinary criminals, and dealing with the fallout of his broken family, than with the scientists who seem an alien culture grafted onto Iceland's gritty foundations. It also features a character who is not gendered, which takes some linguistic manoeuvring in a society where most people take a gendered patronymic. In fact the plot once entangled is fairly straightforward, and the resolution (dare I say it) a little glib, but it was a jolly good read, and the image of a room full of jars containing various things that forensic scientists might be interested in (the "jar city" of the title) will linger with me longer than I wanted it to. ( )
  nwhyte | May 16, 2015 |
Meh. If this is representative of the Scandinavian mystery/thriller genre as a whole, then I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Not sure whether Indridason or translator are to blame for the flat, repetitive, passive tense sentences (ex: "He saw he was dead") that, for me, seriously deadened the affect of the characters and the author's attempts at building suspense. Nor was the "shopworn knight errant" inspector hero - whose empathy towards the weak is matched by his brutality towards the wicked - anything new; U.S. pulp writers nailed that one long ago. Add to this a plot that is neither mysterious nor thrilling, and extremely lame use of imagery (rainstorms infallibly worsen every time the inspector's outlook turns moody) and you'll have a sense of what you're in for. Based on the blurbs, the critics seem enamored of the novel's genetics subplot, but I felt the book didn't break any ground that hasn't already been widely - and more provocatively - explored by other writers.

I gave this a try because every other book on the best seller list these days seems to be lifted from this genre. Alas, however, this is going straight to my discard pile, and I'm headed back to authors like Martin Cruz Smith, whose chilly mystery/thrillers set in Russia unfailingly deliver complex characters, subtle plots, and genuine moral ambiguity, all wrapped up in gorgeous prose. ( )
  Dorritt | Jan 29, 2015 |
This very intriguing novel introduces Inspector Elendur Sveinsson of the Reykjavik Police Department. Erlendur is in the throes of middle age and not in the best of health. He lives alone and has two troubled children, including a daughter who's in debt to drug dealers.

An elderly man is murdered in his basement apartment and the killer leaves an enigmatic note lying on the body. Some of Erlender's colleagues believe that the victim, whose name is Holberg, was killed by someone attempting to rob him. But the note makes no sense in that context and Erlendur continues to look for another explanation.

He discovers that over forty years earlier, Holberg had been accused of a particularly vicious rape but had not been convicted of the crime. Erlendur begins unraveling the tangled history of the victim's early life in the hope that it will shed some light on the mystery surrounding his death. The investigation resonates deeply in Erlendur's own life as he wrestles with the questions of family, love and obligation, both personally and in the crime he is investigating.

Because of the setting and the general circumstances of Erlendur's life, this book has a very Scandinavian feel about it. It takes a while for the momentum to gather, but once it does the reader is off on a compelling ride through a very tangled and unusual mystery. It's hard to imagine a crime fiction reader who won't put this book down anxiously awaiting the arrival of the second Erlendur case. ( )
  Hanneri | Oct 28, 2014 |
A good detective thriller based in Iceland. The story is the best part of the book, with many twists and turns along with a very interesting ending. Inspector Erlendur is a solid main character, but there is something lacking in all of the characters Indridason create - a lack of real depth that would take this story to another level. While Jar City was an enjoyable story, it was missing that intangible quality that would lead me to continue the series. Solid but not engrossing. ( )
  csayban | Aug 31, 2014 |
Indridason raises in a thoroughly gripping manner not just questions of paternity in a small nation, but wider issues of the use of genetic information, culminating in an ending that proves impressively moving.
added by vancouverdeb | editTime Out - London

"This is a dark, haunting novel, with a protagonist who searches for a murderer and finds his own humanity. The emotionally wrought ending caught me off guard and touched me in a way that few mystery novels do."--
added by vancouverdeb | editThe Boston Globe

"Award-winning Iceland author Indridason makes a compelling American debut with this first in a series featuring Reykjavík police inspector Erlendur. . . . Quiet, morose, dryly witty, Erlendur makes a fine, complex companion. . . . Those who enjoy Karin Fossum, Henning Mankell, or Janwillem van de Wetering will welcome this new series."--

Arnaldur Indriðasonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cosimini, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's all one great big bloody mire
- Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson
The words were written in pencil on a piece of paper placed on top of the body.
Jar City is also published as Tainted Blood
Original title: Mýrin

From Gold Dagger Award--winning author Arnaldur Indridason comes a Reykjavík thriller introducing Inspector Erlendur

When a lonely old man is found dead in his Reykjavík flat, the only clues are a cryptic note left by the killer and a photograph of a young girl's grave. Inspector Erlendur discovers that many years ago the victim was accused, but not convicted, of an unsolved crime, a rape. Did the old man's past come back to haunt him? As Erlendur reopens this very cold case, he follows a trail of unusual forensic evidence, uncovering secrets that are much larger than the murder of one old man.

An international sensation, the Inspector Erlendur series has sold more than two million copies worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson investigates the killing of a solitary man, found murdered in his Reykjavk apartment, and discovers that the dead man had been accused but not convicted of a rape forty years earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,997,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible