The Catch: A Novel by Louisa McCormack

The Catch: A Novel

by Louisa McCormack

Review: The Catch by Louisa McCormack It took me a while to read this book. It was suppose to be humorous but I never even got a smile out of the story. I don’t think it was well-written and I didn’t care for most of the characters. I’ve been reading this book from the first of April in between other better books. I couldn’t seem to like the main character Minnie for some reason. I found the plot slow and I got bored but I finally manage to get to the end. I did like the information on the fishing industry and environment on Prince Edwards Island. The story begins when Minnie, a television producer in Toronto who gets stressed over her career so her boss thought she needed a break away from her work. Minnie decides to leave Toronto and spend the summer with her uncle Rex, an elderly man who has a home on the Island but has gone to some assisted living place temporarily on Prince Edwards Island. So Minnie has a place to stay at her uncle’s and she can visit him frequently where he was now staying. Rex claims he’s happy there and has made many friends. I did like his character and seemed like an older sweet man. So Minnie settled in for the summer and finds a simpler life, falls for a fisherman named Joe in the small village and they have a strange relationship that seemed more like a “fling for the summer” and that’s what I felt because they just didn’t seem to be a loving couple. They seemed distant towards each other but there were some sex scenes where they both enjoyed themselves. The story left no emotional impact on me and I predicted the ending before I got there. Some day I’m just going to bite the bullet and just put the book down unfinished and walk away…. It’s just hard when you have OCD….. ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I am not usually a big fan of Canadian fiction. However, The Catch has all the elements that make it a wonderfully perfect read.

Louisa McCormack has absolutely captured the essence of the perfect chik lit story. She has created a flawed but adorable main character in Minerva. She has given Minerva a brilliant cast of characters and more importantly she has set her novel in one of the most beautiful places in the world PEI.

I loved this smart novel - it touched my heartstrings, made me laugh and made me want to move to the Island immediately.

The writing is rich and full of deep, touching subtext and I found myself reading page after page to find out about Joe - would he and Minerva end up together or not? Wow! what else can you ask for - friends, LOVE AND PEI. I am jealous. ( )
  Nitestar | Oct 10, 2008 |
To the good people of PEI
I uprooted myself one recent spring from a life of urban reassurances to an Atlantic island where the wind picks up quickly, the earth is rusted, and fools are ostentatiously tolerated.

Minnie finds herself working at the counter at Eats n'' Treats, a local diner on Prince Edward Island, when her television show Marry Me or Else! goes on hiatus. Real life begins to mimic the desperation of the show's participants when Minnie meets Joe, the island's most eligible bachelor. She finds that choosing between the handsome bachelor and her life as a single woman living in the big city is easier to make that she thought. The author explores an original perspective on a familiar dilemma.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,355,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible