Moordkuil by Arnaldur Indridason
Authors:Arnaldur Indridason (Author)
Other authors:Paula Vermeyden (Translator)
Info:Signature (2008), Utrecht, Paperback, 251p.
Collections:Your library, Buy and Get 2010, Unread, Readable, Henk's ongelezen
Tags:detective, fiction

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason (2001)

English (61)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (80)
Silence of the Grave flips back and forth between Erlendur and team's present-day investigation of a human skeleton discovered by a child and the story of a family terrorized by its wife-beating father. Although my late father never laid a finger on my mother (thank you, Granny, for knocking my grandfather out cold the first time he came home drunk and tried to beat you up), he did beat those of his children who lived with him and his last wife. Unlike the wife-beater in this book, he alternated between being a loving, laughing, supportive father and a screaming, hitting monster. I never knew which Dad I'd be coming home to after school.

Warning: Arnaldur captures the terror and bewilderment of the batterer's victims. Like my father, the abuser was a former victim of child abuse grown up. Like my grandfather, he also drank. If you're wondering why his wife didn't just take the kids and leave, wait until the chapter where she tried. You'll find out what means the dastard used to keep her in line.

Another family's shameful secret is exposed along the way. I wanted to just scream at the way they treated the victim.

Erlendur's daughter is in intensive care. We learn more about why he walked out on his wife, son, and daughter. We also learn about some nasty lies his ex-wife told about him. The inspector meets a medium in the hospital who tells him something she shouldn't have been able to know. I rather wish he'd answered her question, even if he doesn't believe in mediums.

There are plenty of twists to make the reader wonder just who is lying in that grave. We also get to learn what happened to those children who were forced to watch their mother being beaten to a pulp.

This is not an easy book to read (or to listen to), particularly if one has personally experienced what is so politely called 'domestic violence,' but it is very good. ( )
  JalenV | Sep 7, 2015 |
Arnaldur Indridason is one of the best crime authors and Silence of the Grave is the proof of it. With its sinister tone, we will follow a story from past to present as we cannot imagine; mixing familiar stories and secrets. Totally recommended! ( )
  bedeo31 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Another unsettling Icelandic contemporary crime novel set in Reykjavik with the central character of detective Erlendur. The crime happened in the 1940's and is investigated following the discovery of a body on a building site on the outskirts of Reykjavik. There follows a sad story of domestic abuse, or soul death as a character in the book describes it, and its consequences. Not a happy read.
The story is character driven, rather than a whodunit, and whilst the main character is not sympathetic, you do feel empathy for him, and an interest in learning more about him. ( )
  CarltonC | Jun 22, 2014 |
This story perfectly fit the template for Nordic Noir -- very bleak, very dark, very atmospheric, featuring a detective with a dysfunctional personal life. It pondered societal issues of the day and days past. It was disturbing. It was also very, very well-written.'

As the city of Reykjavik expands, excavation begins for development of a hill once outside the city, near an old military installation from WWII. Bones are found in one of the foundation areas -- bones that have been there for a long time, possibly dating back to the war days. Who are they? Can Inspector Erlandur bridge the gap of time and find out what happened? At the same time, he is dealing with family tragedy, as his daughter lies in Intensive Care at the local hospital.

Interwoven with this is the tale of a violently dysfunctional family during the war years. How did their story end -- and is it related to the bones? How?

I stayed up late and started reading again early to finish this one. (I'm yawning now, but not when I was reading!) ( )
  tymfos | Jun 21, 2014 |
Got through it very fast and immediately read the next one - 'Voices' - which I liked better. More interesting plot and not so much violence to women. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
With only two of his novels currently circulating in English translation, Arnaldur Indridason puts Iceland on the map as a major destination for enthusiasts of Nordic crime fiction.The author raises the same ghosts in SILENCE OF THE GRAVE applying his austere style to a crime of such emotional breadth and sociological complexity that it acquires the sweep and consequence of epic storytelling.

The title of Arnaldur Indridason' s new book, Silence of the Grave , gives an indication of the case that confronts the Icelandic detective Erlendur and his colleagues in the Reykjavik police: the discovery of a skeleton on the outskirts of the city. It is a fascinating mystery, which develops slowly while we learn more about the unhappy Erlendur and his relationship with his estranged family. Indridason's low-key style is far from the fast-moving thrillers that fill the best-seller lists, but he's a writer worth seeking out.

Arnaldur Indriðasonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scudder, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He knew at once it was a human bone, when he took it from the baby who was sitting on the floor chewing it.

Winner of the CWA Gold Dagger Award
Inspector Erlendur returns in this gripping Icelandic thriller When a skeleton is discovered half-buried in a construction site outside of Reykjavík, Inspector Erlendur finds himself knee-deep in both a crime scene and an archeological dig. Bone by bone, the body is unearthed, and the brutalizing history of a family who lived near the building site comes to light along with it. Was the skeleton a man or a woman, a victim or a killer, and is this a simple case of murder or a long-concealed act of justice? As Erlendur tries to crack this cold case, he must also save his drug-addicted daughter from self destruction and somehow glue his hopelessly fractured family back together.
Like the chilly Nordic mysteries of Henning Mankell and Karen Fossum, Arnaldur Indridason delivers a stark police procedural full of humanity and pathos, a classic noir from a very cold place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

"In Silence of the Grave, a corpse is found on a hill outside the city, and Detective Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson and his team think the body may have been buried for some years." "While Erlendur struggles to hold together the crumbling fragments of his own family, slowly but surely he finds out the truth about another unhappy family. Few people are still alive who can tell the tale, but even secrets taken to the grave cannot remain hidden forever."--BOOK JACKE… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,717,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible