The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

The Snowman (2007)

by Jo Nesbo

Series: Harry Hole (7)

Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (infosleuth, Disco_grinch)
    infosleuth: Besides both being northern European crime fiction titles, but without wanting to spoil the stories, these 2 novels share similar plot elements.
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (voracious)
    voracious: Similar in the extended effort in the storytelling and set in Norway, this novel evokes similar feelings in the reader.

English (131)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Norwegian (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (151)
This was my first Nesbo book and has introduced me to "Harry Hole". I enjoyed the thriller and look forward to reading the next in the series, "The Leopard". I will pick up some of the earlier books to get background on the characters. ( )
  Itzey | Jan 23, 2016 |
I'm giving it 3 stars because I thought the writing style was pretty good, although for me I was uncomfortable at times trying to get pronounciations correct, etc. Sometimes confusing plot and I thought a real reach as far as the killer. I prefer the Wallender series. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
The seventh installment featuring Nesbo’s antihero police detective, Harry Hole, shows us again why he is the current reigning Scandinavian author writing for American audiences.
By using the US presidential elections to establish a timeline for his latest novel Nesbo immediately establishes a rapport with his American audience and makes this a truly international novel, so much that we forget he has us running around the streets of Oslo not New York, so we can concentrate more on the storyline.
And what a story! Hole, the recovering alcoholic, as usual strikes out on his own, following a path of investigation that only he seems to understand, a veritable Norwegian Colombo, with the exception that he is tall, blonde energetic, he does however have the subtle power to interpret the clues that others squander. Hole is the dragon-chaser, seeing serial-killers where Norway never has. Serial-killers are an American phenomena in the police world and Hole is considered quite barmy for even considering Oslo could entertain one of their own.
For several years women have gone missing in Norway, and now both bodies and snowmen are showing up in Oslo. When Hole is assigned a new female partner, Katrine Bratt, a transfer from another department, the two of them discover a link between the snowmen Hole is chasing to one that appeared in case of a missing police detective a decade before and the clues start to fall into place. The fast paced action never stops in the this police procedural that takes you down and around so many thrills, chills and false leads that your head spins.
Nesbo’s style is persuasive, irreverent and hard-boiled. He takes you places you thought you’d never go and then ties you up and leaves you there alone! Be prepared to wowed ( )
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
Harry is pleasingly human, with a capacity for hard, grueling work being one of his best features, and the rest of the characters say and do believable things, the murderous snowman notwithstanding. The Norwegian settings are sometimes exotic, sometimes just grimy—who knew that Oslo had a high-crime area?—but always appropriate to the story, which unfolds at just the right pace.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kirsten Hammervol Nesbø
It was the day the snow came.

The night the first snow falls a young boy wakes to find his mother gone. He walks through the silent house, but finds only wet footprints on the stairs. In the garden looms a solitary figure: a snowman bathed in cold moonlight, its black eyes glaring up at the bedroom windows. Round its neck is his mother’s pink scarf.

Inspector Harry Hole is convinced there is a link between the disappearance and a menacing letter he received some months earlier. As Harry and his team delve into unsolved case files, they discover that an alarming number of wives and mothers have gone missing over the years. When a second woman disappears Harry’s suspicions are confirmed: he is a pawn in a deadly game. For the first time in his career Harry finds himself confronted with a serial killer operating on his turf, a killer who will drive him to the brink of insanity.

"In Oslo, after the first snow of the season has fallen, a woman disappears, and a sinister snowman is left in her wake. As irascible detective Harry Hole realizes that this is only one of multiple disappearances, he begins to think a serial killer may be at work--and may be drawing in Hole personally and intentionally"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible