dismiss

The Snowman (2007)

by Jo Nesbø

Series: Harry Hole (7)

4,1712021,938 (3.86)220
"In Oslo, after the first snow of the season has fallen, a woman disappears, and a sinister snowman is left in her wake. As irascible detective Harry Hole realizes that this is only one of multiple disappearances, he begins to think a serial killer may be at work--and may be drawing in Hole personally and intentionally"--… (more)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (infosleuth, Disco_grinch)
    infosleuth: Besides both being northern European crime fiction titles, but without wanting to spoil the stories, these 2 novels share similar plot elements.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (voracious)
    voracious: Similar in the extended effort in the storytelling and set in Norway, this novel evokes similar feelings in the reader.

English (176)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (200)
I had a really positive opinion of this until about half way through, when it began to drag on and on, when the false killers began to pile up, when the unnecessary courseness of the language began to take a toll. It ended, at least, and in a satisfying way, but not in a way that persuades me to check out the rest of the books in the series, sadly. ( )
  RandyRasa | Feb 24, 2020 |
As I was reading this I thought it was familiar. Then I remembered that I had watched the DVD that was based on this book. Mixed views on the movie but I have to say the book is much better. The scarf of a woman who had disappeared has been found wrapped around a snowman. Harry Hole of course, is the lead investigator. I didn't quiet comprehend the plot and the character motivation at first...I believe something may have gotten lost in the translation. The idea of the ever watching, evil snowman was down right creepy but things get creepier as the story shifts from substation... to plastic surgeon’s office... to coroner’s gurney... Then Harry announces, “I just have the feeling that someone is watching me the whole time, that someone is watching me now. I’m part of someone’s plan.”and so he is. I believe of all the characters involved that I actually found that I kinda liked the snowman. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 20, 2020 |
Unfortunately Scandinavian countries have only one Steig Larrsen, jo is not bad but i still compare until i spoiled this work for myself.. ( )
  matrixwwe2 | Jan 1, 2020 |
Jo Nesbro writes an interesting and riveting mystery with red herrings leaping upon the banks. In this story, a serial killer targets women with children and leaves a snowman as his calling card. Harry, in his usual method, runs here and there discovering clues, but falls into the alcohol trap when he lacks answers. Nesbro creates memorable characters and the settings of ice, snow, and coldness permeate the loneliness. The biggest problem falls on the names of the characters, as this reader finds confusion with the unfamiliar names. I also enjoy the fact that I can skip novels in the series and not feel lost. ( )
  delphimo | Dec 4, 2019 |
Sometimes I wonder about the writers who think up this kind of plot. Do they hate women? Or just find them good victims for mystery stories? Are there that many twisted people in the world, and if so, is one of them the author?

Harry Hole finds himself enmeshed in another serial killer case when multiple abductions are seen as a pattern. Nesbo gives us the usual twists and turns and incorrect identifications, but this time, even more than in other ooks of his, I was screaming at Harry to see what was directly in front of him. Lots of hints that turn out to b e true, but... An enjoyable, almost compulsive read, if you don't mind being scared. ( )
  ffortsa | Oct 19, 2019 |
Harry is pleasingly human, with a capacity for hard, grueling work being one of his best features, and the rest of the characters say and do believable things, the murderous snowman notwithstanding. The Norwegian settings are sometimes exotic, sometimes just grimy—who knew that Oslo had a high-crime area?—but always appropriate to the story, which unfolds at just the right pace.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kirsten Hammervol Nesbø
It was the day the snow came.
Det var den dagen då snön kom.
She looked at him. God, how he had grown in this last year; he would soon be taller than her. And in those dark eyes of his the childishness was giving way to what for the moment was youthful defiance, but would, she could already see, in time become adult determination.

The night the first snow falls a young boy wakes to find his mother gone. He walks through the silent house, but finds only wet footprints on the stairs. In the garden looms a solitary figure: a snowman bathed in cold moonlight, its black eyes glaring up at the bedroom windows. Round its neck is his mother’s pink scarf.

Inspector Harry Hole is convinced there is a link between the disappearance and a menacing letter he received some months earlier. As Harry and his team delve into unsolved case files, they discover that an alarming number of wives and mothers have gone missing over the years. When a second woman disappears Harry’s suspicions are confirmed: he is a pawn in a deadly game. For the first time in his career Harry finds himself confronted with a serial killer operating on his turf, a killer who will drive him to the brink of insanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,254,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible