The Snowman by Jo Nesbø

The Snowman (2007)

by Jo Nesbø

Series: Harry Hole (7)

3,8151911,998 (3.87)207
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (infosleuth, Disco_grinch)
    infosleuth: Besides both being northern European crime fiction titles, but without wanting to spoil the stories, these 2 novels share similar plot elements.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (voracious)
    voracious: Similar in the extended effort in the storytelling and set in Norway, this novel evokes similar feelings in the reader.

English (167)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (191)
A great gripping Scandinavian thriller with plenty of plot twists and interesting characters. Plenty of cold weather and snow too made it a good winter read. ( )
  Tifi | Dec 31, 2018 |
A great gripping read, if you enjoy psychological thrillers! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
The ending was disappointing, just fizzled out at the climax. This was my 1st Harry Hole novel. I read The Son and could not put it down! I'll try another one of Nesbo's books. ( )
  michelynn2016 | Nov 20, 2018 |
Great, well written serial killer thriller. This was my first Nesbo, and I liked the tough but human character of Harry Hole, and his forlorn love for Rakel. The story is the catching of a serial killer who regards the famous detective as his adversary in his grotesque game of horror and dismemberment. This is an old genre trope and it is done to perfection here. We get many false solutions and twists, lots of action, violence, gore and sex, but also good character development and relationships. Since I happen to be reading Sherlock Holmes at the same time, I found the attention to tiny details delightful. Not many current detectives do the Sherlockian sleuthing any more. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This is truly one of the best murder/thriller books I have ever had the pleasure to read/listen to. Now that being said I am a total fan of Jo Nesbo- he is a writer you can listen too. And that is saying a lot- i read very fast and i elide over all sorts of bad writing but now that i listen to books to make my commute better I find that I am very particular about what I listen to. So Jo Nesbo and his translater does an amazing job of telling the story. I have sat in my driveway or garage just to finish out the chapter. And for this type of story- this is huge- I got to Jo Nesbo from Henning Mankell and Stieg Laarssen so I am obviously in love with the Scandinavian story but Jo Nesbo rocks. Enough said (and I have to go serve dinner) ( )
  Darragh4444 | Oct 22, 2018 |
Harry is pleasingly human, with a capacity for hard, grueling work being one of his best features, and the rest of the characters say and do believable things, the murderous snowman notwithstanding. The Norwegian settings are sometimes exotic, sometimes just grimy—who knew that Oslo had a high-crime area?—but always appropriate to the story, which unfolds at just the right pace.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kirsten Hammervol Nesbø
It was the day the snow came.
Det var den dagen då snön kom.
She looked at him. God, how he had grown in this last year; he would soon be taller than her. And in those dark eyes of his the childishness was giving way to what for the moment was youthful defiance, but would, she could already see, in time become adult determination.

The night the first snow falls a young boy wakes to find his mother gone. He walks through the silent house, but finds only wet footprints on the stairs. In the garden looms a solitary figure: a snowman bathed in cold moonlight, its black eyes glaring up at the bedroom windows. Round its neck is his mother’s pink scarf.

Inspector Harry Hole is convinced there is a link between the disappearance and a menacing letter he received some months earlier. As Harry and his team delve into unsolved case files, they discover that an alarming number of wives and mothers have gone missing over the years. When a second woman disappears Harry’s suspicions are confirmed: he is a pawn in a deadly game. For the first time in his career Harry finds himself confronted with a serial killer operating on his turf, a killer who will drive him to the brink of insanity.

"In Oslo, after the first snow of the season has fallen, a woman disappears, and a sinister snowman is left in her wake. As irascible detective Harry Hole realizes that this is only one of multiple disappearances, he begins to think a serial killer may be at work--and may be drawing in Hole personally and intentionally"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,170,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible