Schneemann: 6 CDs (Ein Harry-Hole-Krimi,…

Schneemann: 6 CDs (Ein Harry-Hole-Krimi, Band 7) (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Jo Nesbø, Oliver Mommsen (Sprecher), Günther Frauenlob (Übersetzer)

3,9221941,974 (3.86)206
"In Oslo, after the first snow of the season has fallen, a woman disappears, and a sinister snowman is left in her wake. As irascible detective Harry Hole realizes that this is only one of multiple disappearances, he begins to think a serial killer may be at work--and may be drawing in Hole personally and intentionally"--… (more)
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Schneemann: 6 CDs (Ein Harry-Hole-Krimi, Band 7)
Authors:Jo Nesbø
Other authors:Oliver Mommsen (Sprecher), Günther Frauenlob (Übersetzer)
Info:Hörbuch Hamburg (2009), Audio CD

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø (2007)

Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason (infosleuth, Disco_grinch)
    infosleuth: Besides both being northern European crime fiction titles, but without wanting to spoil the stories, these 2 novels share similar plot elements.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (voracious)
    voracious: Similar in the extended effort in the storytelling and set in Norway, this novel evokes similar feelings in the reader.

English (170)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (194)
I have been hearing about Jo Nesbo for awhile now, and have been wanting to try one of his books. I know this is the seventh book in the series, but I didn't feel I was missing much by starting here. Maybe I would have learned a little more about Harry's personal life, but the central mystery of the story was stand alone. The

A serial killer has been at work in Norway for years, but because he only strikes once a year, no one has put together the pieces yet. Until Harry gets the case. This book reminded me a little of Jeffrey Deaver's works. You think the mystery has been solved, but wait...there's a twist.

I found the book very entertaining to read. The story was interesting, and I felt it moved at a good pace. I am definitely going to go back and read the rest of the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Confession: I have a soft spot for Scandinavian crime fiction. I've enjoyed every author I've read (thus far) in this subgenre. I don't know why, as the crimes tend to be gruesome and I'm conflicted about excessive brutality in fiction.

This is my second book by Jo Nesbo and it won't be my last. (The first was Nesbo's MacBeth, which I thoroughly enjoyed.) It's the first one I've read in the well-regarded Harry Hole series set in Oslo, Norway. As is typical in most crime novels, the series centers on a maverick cop with unusual investigative methods, alcoholic tendencies, and few friends.

Inspector Harry Hole is tracking a brutal serial killer. The killer is targeting women, decapitating them, and making their heads part of a macabre snowman. (Makes me hesitant to make a snowman!) At the same time, Hole is dealing with his ex's newly-announced engagement, mourning the death of a former colleague, and training a quick-witted (but possibly disturbed) young female investigator.

As Harry soon realizes, similar killings have happened each year on the day of the first snowfall. Just as importantly, the killings seemed designed to grab Harry's attention; the detective is the only investigator on the Oslo force to have caught a serial killer before. Harry suspects (though his superiors are skeptical) that the killer wants to force the infamous detective to play in his deadly game. Then the killer starts changing the rules.

As I noted, the violence in The Snowman is gruesome.

I'm conflicted on this point.
Elsewhere, I've written about whether descriptions of violence in fiction is dehumanizing and voyeuristic. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2674797519

For me, it helps when the victims have been developed as characters before their murder. So we read about their fears, their indiscretions, and, at one point, an attempt to flee their killer. This is either voyeuristic (a common complaint in the negative reviews of this book) or humanizing. At least they aren't seen exclusively as victims and only after their degrading deaths. I'm ambivalent, though, as to whether this is wishful thinking on my part.

Really what made the violence bearable to me was Harry. He's a man who is "afraid of his own humanity,"--to quote his old boss--but at points it surfaces. Then we see a hurt, vulnerable man who loves fiercely and longs for deep relationships. He has connected with his ex's teen son Oleg, who reminds him, I think, of himself at that age; his ex's engagement to another man threatens the tentative relationship between Harry and Oleg.

In one heart-wrenching scene, Harry awakens the young son of a missing/presumed dead woman. The boy calls out for his mommy. Nesbo writes,

Harry was completely unprepared for his own reaction. Perhaps it was because he was thinking of Oleg. Or perhaps because he was thinking of himself when once, as a boy, he woke up, thinking she (his mother) was still alive, and charged into his parents' bedroom in Oppsal and saw the double bed with the duvet removed from one side.
Harry was unable to stem the flow of tears that suddenly welled up in his eyes, filling them until Jonas' face blurred before him, and they ran down his cheeks, leaving hot trails before finding grooves that led them to the corners of his mouth and Harry became aware of his own salty taste.
pg. 268

It's passages like this that balance out the horrific nature of the crimes. For some people, it may not be enough. Well developed characters. Great plot twists. Enough red herrings for a fish fry. I recommend it to fans of crime fiction. Because of my conflicted response to the violence, I'm giving it 3.5 stars. ( )
  MeredithRankin | Jun 7, 2019 |
I got this out of the library as an audio book to listen to while working. I didn't realize it was a part of an on going series, but it's written in a way that it works as a stand alone. I enjoyed it, but the only thing that was really disappointing to me was that is was fairly clear who the killer was all through the book and there were SO many red hearings. ( )
  Natix | Jun 3, 2019 |
A great gripping Scandinavian thriller with plenty of plot twists and interesting characters. Plenty of cold weather and snow too made it a good winter read. ( )
  Tifi | Dec 31, 2018 |
A great gripping read, if you enjoy psychological thrillers! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Harry is pleasingly human, with a capacity for hard, grueling work being one of his best features, and the rest of the characters say and do believable things, the murderous snowman notwithstanding. The Norwegian settings are sometimes exotic, sometimes just grimy—who knew that Oslo had a high-crime area?—but always appropriate to the story, which unfolds at just the right pace.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kirsten Hammervol Nesbø
It was the day the snow came.
Det var den dagen då snön kom.
She looked at him. God, how he had grown in this last year; he would soon be taller than her. And in those dark eyes of his the childishness was giving way to what for the moment was youthful defiance, but would, she could already see, in time become adult determination.

The night the first snow falls a young boy wakes to find his mother gone. He walks through the silent house, but finds only wet footprints on the stairs. In the garden looms a solitary figure: a snowman bathed in cold moonlight, its black eyes glaring up at the bedroom windows. Round its neck is his mother’s pink scarf.

Inspector Harry Hole is convinced there is a link between the disappearance and a menacing letter he received some months earlier. As Harry and his team delve into unsolved case files, they discover that an alarming number of wives and mothers have gone missing over the years. When a second woman disappears Harry’s suspicions are confirmed: he is a pawn in a deadly game. For the first time in his career Harry finds himself confronted with a serial killer operating on his turf, a killer who will drive him to the brink of insanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible