The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science:…

The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young…

by Sean Connolly

Spoilers? /!

This book is a nonfiction how-to science book. In "The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science" it teaches you to do several experiments, including "Egg Bungee Jumping", "The Bottomless Can", and "The Rubber Chicken Bone." Most of these tests seem messy, and most of them are, but they teach many things about science. "Heavy Weather?" teaches about certain gases being heavier than air, "Anti-gravity Water" teaches us of centrifugal force, and many others teach about different laws and phenomena. This book has easy-to-read instructions and graphics to better help show the "oddities" of science. You can also rest easy since the book has helpful reminders about safety risks and precautions that you must take. The book also has a great chart of how long each experiment would take ( from less than two minutes to a full day or more). This book helps people learn while having fun.

I rated this book so since it was really really fun to conduct some of those experiments. I especially liked the experiment about the "impenetrable plastic bag." The only thing was that I wished there was more experiments, as there was only 64 (which seems a lot, but really isn't). I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to do science and is a beginner. I really think this book is a great introduction to science. The experiments are pretty easy to do, so that is nice for beginners who might have trouble. In conclusion, this is a remarkable tool for beginning scientists.
  GeoffreyA.G1 | Oct 25, 2017 |
The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science presents clear instructions for 64 "daring" experiments. The information is presented clearly and directly. Included in each experiment is a list of items needed (mostly items you can find around the house), a warning listed as "Take Care!", and a scientific explanation called "The Scientific Excuse". Entries are categorized into seven chapters according to scientific theme. Besides the list of contents, there is also a list of experiments arranged by how long each one takes. An introduction is also provided in which "Who Can Do These Experiments" and "How This Book Works" is included.The book's design and illustrations are that of the 1950s pulp fiction look of science magazines. I would recommend this book to students in grades 3-6. The scientific explanation is simple and direct and would lead to a greater understanding of the scientific method at hand. ( )
  shillson | Dec 4, 2011 |
Unique and interesting collection of science experiments that can be performed with household (or very easily obtainable) items. The book consists of 64 articles each comprised of a sensational blurb, ingredient list, "Take care!" safety or mess warnings, step-by-step method and finally The Scientific Excuse (the scientific explanation of the principles involved).

While the obligatory vinegar/baking soda volcano is included, several variations of this experiment are also inside as well as a number of very cool, fairly simple experiments including the infamous Mentos and diet soda geyser (I wondered about the science involved since I saw it on YouTube), setting crepe paper alight with a lens made of ice, static electricity lightning, several curious experiments with cornstarch colloids, various tricks with air pressure, etc.

My 8-year-old son picked out the book and we've been having fun carrying out the experiments. I started skimming it to find suitable candidates to perform together but the style and presentation are interesting enough that I ended up reading it cover to cover. This is a wonderful book for any budding mad scientists and their parents. ( )
  Shijuro | Jun 3, 2009 |
To my companions on this wonderful journey - Frederika, Jamie, Anna, Thomas, and Dafydd

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076115020X, Hardcover)

What could be more fun for kids than to have the kind of rip-roaring good time that harkens back to pre-video game, pre-computer days? Introducing 64 valuable science experiments that snap, crackle, pop, ooze, crash, boom, and stink! From Marshmallows on Steroids to Home-Made Lightning, the Sandwich Bag Bomb to Giant Air Cannon, The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science awakens kids' curiosity while demonstrating scientific principles like osmosis, air pressure, and Newton's Third Law of Motion.

Kids will love performing these experiments, which use common household ingredients and equipment, in front of an audience or for themselves (though many require adult supervision). Entries are categorized into seven chapters according to scientific theme and are written in a simple-to-follow recipe format. each includes a detailed explanation of the scientific principle involved and a "Take Care!" section with special tips. The book's design and illustrations recall the pulp fiction look of science magazines from the days when space travel was still considered sci-fi, while the author's voice is wry and a bit conspiratorial. He assumes his readers are clever and never coddles them. Drop Mentos into a bottle of diet soda and stand back as a geyser erupts! Launch a rocket made from a film canister! Encase your little brother in a giant soap bubble! For young scientists—and the young at heart—this book is a blast. Literally.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Simple to do science experiments to be done with items found in the kitchen or garden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,733,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible