The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King

The Art of Detection (edition 2007)

by Laurie R. King

Member:chrissiemc
Title:The Art of Detection
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 495 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery

The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King

This is the latest in a series of books about Kate Martinelli, a San Francisco homicide detective. She and her partner Al are investigating the murder of a local collector and dealer of Sherlockiana memorabilia, (ephemera and
collectibles associated with the fictional character Sherlock
Holmes.) Within the novel there is a complete short story,
which is interesting as well. I was surprised at the ending,
which was great, because I dislike it when I can guess the
murderer’s identity too early in the plot. There are a lot of
interesting characters and scenes in this book. There is a
lot of background on Sherlock Holmes and his fans, which
is interesting as well. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
I absolutely LOVED this novel. Beginning a Sherlock Holmes story into the present day, connecting past and present was tantalizing. I have read this book a couple of times and will probably read it again and again. Definitely a MUST buy. ( )
  saige.greenwitch | Feb 7, 2013 |
To be perfectly honest, I didn't read the whole thing. I checked this one out from the library solely for the purpose of reading the snippet from the Mary Russell series that was jammed in the middle of this one. Perhaps if I did read the Kate Martinelli books, I would understand a little better why the author chose to do something like that. However, at this time, much as I enjoyed King's other series, I have no immediate plans to jump into the Martinelli series, so I just found it to be kind of a hassle.

That said... the bit from the Sherlock Holmes/ Mary Russell series was quite enjoyable and everything I've come to expect from that series and from King.
  Literate.Ninja | Jul 21, 2012 |
This was the most enjoyable Kate Martinelli book I've read yet. Kate Martinelli is an out lesbian cop in San Francisco. It always surprised me that the author is not a lesbian--nonetheless it's a well-written series. I was a little annoyed at first that this book involves a Sherlock Holmes fan club--I mean she's already written a whole series about Holmes--is she completely obsessed?! But it is an engaging mystery and I even enjoyed the "story within a story" technique though I don't usually like that. It was also nice to finally read a book in the series in which Kate's personal life is going really well, defying the stereotype that you can't be a cop/detective and have any kind of satisfying home life. ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |
I hadn't read any of the Kate Martinelli books before this particular title was selected for the Just Desserts mystery fiction discussion group at the library. I'm not sure that I'll go ahead and read any others, either. That's not to say that The Art of Detection was unenjoyable...I did like reading it. The dual mysteries in this book -- first, the investigation into who killed a Sherlock Holmes memorabilia dealer and hid his body in a gun battery outside of San Francisco, and second, the storyline in a possible unknown Sherlock Holmes story by Arthur Conan Doyle -- were both fascinating and kept me engaged throughout the book. What I didn't care for was Kate Martinelli herself. She came off as a bit too harsh and judgemental, especially considering the fact that as a lesbian police officer, she herself has probably faced a lot of judgemental types. In the long run, I like the book -- the interweaving of the plots from the two different time periods, plus the historical footnotes about Arthur Conan Doyle's visit to the San Francisco area in the 1920s, made for an intriguing "what if" scenario. And there's a doozy of a Twilight Zone moment thrown in at the end of the book, too. Holmes purists may or may not enjoy this one, and may also find Martinelli's opinions about Sherlock Holmes fanatics a bit off-putting, but it was still an interesting read, and I do recommend it. Fans of the Martinelli series may be surprised to find that 9 years have passed since the previous Martinelli mystery, but for newcomers to the series, that's not an impediment to the story.

Originally reviewed for my local library's website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec09-06.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Jan 16, 2011 |
This book, as all others, I put at the feet of Kate Miciak, editor and friend, without whom my words would just lie on the floor, kicking feebly.
Kate Martinelli had been in an number of weird places during her years as a cop.

Fifth in Laurie R. King's Kate Martinelli series, Detective Martinelli must solve a modern day murder of a Sherlock Holmes collector that seems to tie into a lost detective story apparently written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588338, Mass Market Paperback)

In this thrilling new crime novel that ingeniously bridges Laurie R. King’s Edgar and Creasey Awards—winning Kate Martinelli series and her bestselling series starring Mary Russell, San Francisco homicide detective Kate Martinelli crosses paths with Sherlock Holmes–in a spellbinding dual mystery that could come only from the “intelligent, witty, and complex” mind of New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King….

Kate Martinelli has seen her share of peculiar things as a San Francisco cop, but never anything quite like this: an ornate Victorian sitting room straight out of a Sherlock Holmes story–complete with violin, tobacco-filled Persian slipper, and gunshots in the wallpaper that spell out the initials of the late queen.

Philip Gilbert was a true Holmes fanatic, from his antiquated décor to his vintage wardrobe. And no mere fan of fiction’s great detective, but a leading expert with a collection of priceless memorabilia–a collection some would kill for.

And perhaps someone did: In his collection is a century-old manuscript purportedly written by Holmes himself–a manuscript that eerily echoes details of Gilbert’s own murder.

Now, with the help of her partner, Al Hawkin, Kate must follow the convoluted trail of a killer–one who may have trained at the feet of the greatest mind of all times.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:33 -0400)

"Kate Martinelli has seen her share of peculiar things as a San Francisco cop, but never anything quite like this: an ornate Victorian sitting room straight out of a Sherlock Holmes story - complete with violin, tobacco-filled Persian slipper, and gunshots in the wallpaper that spell out the initials of the late queen." "Philip Gilbert was a true Holmes fanatic, from his antiquated decor to his vintage wardrobe. And no mere fan of fiction's great detective, but a leading expert with a collection of priceless memorabilia - a collection some would kill for." "And perhaps someone did: In his collection is a century-old manuscript purportedly written by Holmes himself - a manuscript that eerily echoes details of Gilbert's own murder." "Now, with the help of her partner, Al Hawkin, Kate must follow the convoluted trail of a killer - one who may have trained at the feet of the greatest mind of all times."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,341,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible