The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King

The Art of Detection (edition 2007)

by Laurie R. King

Member:chrissiemc
Title:The Art of Detection
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 495 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery

The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King

This one tickled my fancy more than others she's written. What King did here was put ALL her feelings about the LGBT community into one smartly delivered package (although it's certainly true that her previous books have provided plenty of her thoughts in that area).

And, of course, she takes this opportunity to start merging her series together - in this case her Sherlock Holmes series and her lesbian detective series - by writing a short story a la Holmes inside a contemporary detective novel. At first, I was surprised that she was going to have Martinelli read the entire story, but when I had finished that part, I understood why she followed that course of action.

The short story is integral to the completion of the novel, mostly because they mirror each other but also because they contain precisely the same themes. There are all the hallmarks of the Martinelli stories - lesbian families, supportive cops and friends, descriptions of some of the best places in the San Francisco area (hello, Marin Headlands!), life-threatening situations only Kate can handle - but it is missing one common theme, which is religion. One of the things I have always liked about King stories is that they often contain theological themes. In this novel, she has supplanted that with something equally important.

The book also feels like it's wrapping up a lot of history (aka 5 novels in the same series) and I don't expect to see another one for Kate Martinelli for a long time, if ever. I think I'm okay with that, because of how she finished this one. ( )
  khage | Jun 11, 2017 |
To be honest, I read this book because of the connection to Sherlock Holmes. I do Love Laurie R. Kings books. But, I do prefer her Mary Russell series. Some day I may get to her Kate Martinelli series also.

Now it's been some years since I read this book, but I remember that I found it quite interesting. Especially the finding of a lost Sherlock Holmes manuscript that could be written by Sherlock Holmes himself.

You can without problem read this book without having read the other books in this series (I know because I did that) and I think this book will appeal Sherlock Holmes fans. I do plan to re-read this book to see if I find this book better nowadays. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I spent a year stationed at Fort Baker, so much of the story takes place on familiar terrain; every now and then there was be an "I remember that" moment while I read. On the other hand, there's a factual error in the embedded "short story"--Fort Cronkhite didn't exist until 1937--that annoys me. It's hard to think most readers would care, though.

But gosh this one's fun, if a bit odd. I'm gonna miss Kate Martinelli and her friends. ( )
  joeldinda | Jul 2, 2016 |

| Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
Kate Martinelli investigates the death of a man who was very involved in Sherlock Holmes and has even turned most of his house into a replica of Holmes lodgings. The body was dumped in a gun emplacement in the Marin Headlands. Includes a "lost" Sherlock Holmes story that the dead person had found. An enjoyable mystery and I really liked the ending. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book, as all others, I put at the feet of Kate Miciak, editor and friend, without whom my words would just lie on the floor, kicking feebly.
Kate Martinelli had been in an number of weird places during her years as a cop.

Fifth in Laurie R. King's Kate Martinelli series, Detective Martinelli must solve a modern day murder of a Sherlock Holmes collector that seems to tie into a lost detective story apparently written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588338, Mass Market Paperback)

In this thrilling new crime novel that ingeniously bridges Laurie R. King’s Edgar and Creasey Awards—winning Kate Martinelli series and her bestselling series starring Mary Russell, San Francisco homicide detective Kate Martinelli crosses paths with Sherlock Holmes–in a spellbinding dual mystery that could come only from the “intelligent, witty, and complex” mind of New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King….

Kate Martinelli has seen her share of peculiar things as a San Francisco cop, but never anything quite like this: an ornate Victorian sitting room straight out of a Sherlock Holmes story–complete with violin, tobacco-filled Persian slipper, and gunshots in the wallpaper that spell out the initials of the late queen.

Philip Gilbert was a true Holmes fanatic, from his antiquated décor to his vintage wardrobe. And no mere fan of fiction’s great detective, but a leading expert with a collection of priceless memorabilia–a collection some would kill for.

And perhaps someone did: In his collection is a century-old manuscript purportedly written by Holmes himself–a manuscript that eerily echoes details of Gilbert’s own murder.

Now, with the help of her partner, Al Hawkin, Kate must follow the convoluted trail of a killer–one who may have trained at the feet of the greatest mind of all times.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

"Kate Martinelli has seen her share of peculiar things as a San Francisco cop, but never anything quite like this: an ornate Victorian sitting room straight out of a Sherlock Holmes story - complete with violin, tobacco-filled Persian slipper, and gunshots in the wallpaper that spell out the initials of the late queen." "Philip Gilbert was a true Holmes fanatic, from his antiquated decor to his vintage wardrobe. And no mere fan of fiction's great detective, but a leading expert with a collection of priceless memorabilia - a collection some would kill for." "And perhaps someone did: In his collection is a century-old manuscript purportedly written by Holmes himself - a manuscript that eerily echoes details of Gilbert's own murder." "Now, with the help of her partner, Al Hawkin, Kate must follow the convoluted trail of a killer - one who may have trained at the feet of the greatest mind of all times."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,310,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible