Water: The Essence of Life by Mark Niemeyer

Water: The Essence of Life

by Mark Niemeyer

11None820,536 (5)None

No reviews

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184483719X, Hardcover)

H20 is the most extraordinary, life-sustaining molecule known to humankind: it determined our beginnings, sustains our present, and holds the key to our future. This miraculous substance covers more than 70% of our planet and constitutes about 70% of our bodies—and all known organisms depend on it to survive.
Here is the incredible story of water, told in more than 120 of the most stunning and evocative color photographs ever taken and amazing, eye-opening data. It’s a fascinating look at the many sources and forms of water on earth, from icebergs, glaciers, and aquifers to steam, frost, and dew—as well as an insightful exploration of its various uses, both practical (hydroelectricity, irrigation) and decorative (fountains). The entire watery realm is covered, including great lakes, mighty rivers, and the five oceans; wonderful wetlands, tides and currents, clouds and vapor, the frozen world, and much more.
The clear, simple text draws upon science, mythology, and cultural history, and provides serious facts about pollution and waste that must concern us in this age of global warming.

A FEW WATER FACTS AND FIGURES:
•Only 40% of bottled water is spring or mineral—yet it is 1,000 times more expensive than tap.
•Although over 70% of the earth is covered with water, only about .008%
is accessible fresh water. (97% is salt water.)
•About 40% of the world’s population depends on water that comes from a neighboring country.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:32 -0400)

Water: the Essence of Life is the illustrated story of the most extraordinary molecule known to humankind - one that has determined our beginnings, sustains our present and holds the key to our future. This miraculous substance covers more than 70 per cent of planet Earth and constitutes about 70 per cent of our bodies. All known forms of life depend on water to survive. But where does water really come from? This book answers the questions with a wealth of fascinating detail. This story is told through more than 100 beautiful and evocative photographs with clear, simple text which draws upon science as well as mythology and cultural history.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,604,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible