Mrs. Malory and a Time to Die by Hazel Holt

Mrs. Malory and a Time to Die (2008)

by Hazel Holt

Beware--the ending is not what you think! I am not easily stumped, but this one did it!

There may be some horsey terms that an American audience is not familiar with, unless you are a horse person--I had to look them up in my OED. New words for my vocab. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Sep 3, 2012 |
Sheila Malory is one of the longest-lived British cozy heroines since Miss Marple. Her sixteenth mystery is super cozy, a lighthearted delight. Our heroine is spending more than a little time at local stable owned by her friends Joe and Charlie Hamilton. Mrs. Malory’s young granddaughter Alice is a new and enthusiastic member of the horsey set and relying on her “Gran’s” transportation services.

When a series of suspicious deaths of people associated with the riding center piques her curiosity, Mrs. Malory begins to very discretely ask questions of those who knew the deceased. In between her investigative stints, Mrs. Malory goes about her normal village life: helping out friends, doing charitable work and caring for her animals.

I’ve not read a book in this series for awhile, but it was easy to get into Mrs. Malory and a Time to Die – and to remember why I so enjoyed Hazel Holt’s earlier books. The story is well put together, the writing crisp, the main characters interesting. Although I though the resolution was a bit too tidy, I’m sure fans of British cozies will look beyond that – as I did – and relish the latest Mrs. Malory mystery.

By Diana. First published in the Cozy Library November 26, 2008.
  NewsieQ | Mar 27, 2009 |
Not the best of the series, but it was nice to revisit Taviscombe and its characters and catch up with the lives of Sheila Mallory, her friend Rosemary, and their families. A series of mysterious deaths centered around a friend's riding stable gets Mrs. Mallory's investigative instincts going, but the explanation is one even she had not considered. Aging and its attendant concerns are a theme of the book, and also, perhaps, in evidence in the writing; a sprained ankle on page one becomes a wrist a few pages later, and one of Mrs. Mallory's cousins must have the oldest Siamese cat in existence, since the cousin was a code-breaker at Bletchley Park during the war, got the cat "in her fourth decade," and it's still alive in what appears to be contemporary London (mobile phones are in use, at least). But these are small quibbles, and the book was quite enjoyable. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jan 27, 2009 |
For my granddaughter Natalie, with love and thanks for all the horsey bits.
"Keep his head up, Fiona!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451225694, Mass Market Paperback)

Sheila Malory’s old friends Charlie and Jo Hamilton run a popular riding school in the quiet English town of Taviscombe. When Charlie is found dead in his stables from a blow to the head—with only his horses as witnesses to his final moments— the entire community is shaken. Especially since Charlie’s is just the first in a series of shocking and suspicious deaths. Mrs. Malory is on the case, but the trail of clues, from an unlucky horseshoe to a lethal electric fence, proves to be anything but a smooth ride.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

Sheila Malory's old friends Charlie and Jo Hamilton run a popular riding school in the quiet English town of Taviscombe. When Charlie is found dead in his stables from a blow to the head--with only his horses as witnesses to his final moments-- the entire community is shaken. Especially since Charlie's is just the first in a series of shocking and suspicious deaths. Mrs. Malory is on the case, but the trail of clues, from an unlucky horseshoe to a lethal electric fence, proves to be anything but a smooth ride.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible