Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play by…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play

by Roald Dahl

203457,794 (3.85)None

English (3)  Japanese (1)  All (4)
No QTP Stamp
  QTPLibrary | May 23, 2016 |
This book is a classic we all know about a little boy who is lucky enought to first win a tour of a chocolate factory, then inherit it. The book touches on several heavy themes but only very lightly. It is left up to the reader to further explore the character's flaws. The other characters are shown to be bratty, spoiled and decadent. The book very clearly outlines the punishments for such unacceptable behavior while celebrating the quiet humility of its lead character, Charlie.

I also looooooooooooove this book. I think its subtext and themes are extrodinarily dark and I would not necessarily introduce it to children of a younger age bracket!

For extention ideas, a classroom could be asked to think of a time they themselves acted inappropriately and how they might have decided in retrospect to act differently.

We could also ask the children for alternate endings and have groups come up with and present their ideas, as well as a group illustration, to the classroom!
  mexicarita | Mar 29, 2010 |
As a play this is appalling. (this is not a reflection on the original book).
It starts with a 2-page speech by the narrator, three of the children have page-long speeches to deliver, and once the events get going, most of the characters traipse from scene to scene with barely a word of dialogue until the scene that focuses on them.
I know Mr George originally produced this with a junior school in New York, but if it was staged as he has written it, he must have had not only some children with remarkably good memorising skills, but also some children with remarkable attention spans watching.
I have recently been in this (as Grandpa Joe), and only accepted the part because I trusted the director to do something interesting with it. I would never have accepted a part in that play on the strength of the script. ( )
  ColinFine | Feb 24, 2008 |

Roald Dahl's much-loved story about how Charlie Bucket wins a ticket to visit Willy Wonka's amazing chocolate factory is turned into a play for children to act. With tips about scenery, props and lighting, the play is easy to stage and there are lots of parts for everyone. Roald Dahl, the best-loved of children's writers, died in 1990 but his books continue to be bestsellers. Richard George was an elementary school teacher in New York when he wrote this stage adaptation of Roald Dahl's bestselling story - and Roald Dahl himself recommended that it should be published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

Five children find entry tickets to Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory. The tour brings out the best and worst in them.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible