Where's Your Jesus Now?: Examining How…

Where's Your Jesus Now?: Examining How Fear Erodes Our Faith

by Karen Spears Zacharias

341329,500 (4)11

I have really mixed feelings about this one. I agree with most of her basic themes
1) that fear is rampant in our world, and that this fear undermines faith.
2) That fear-mongering is a way of life in our society
3) that too much fear is peddled in the name of God (hellfire & brimstone, natural disasters as "God's punishment," etc.)
4) that the prevailing fear among many Christians of those whom they percieve as being not like themselves -- an "us vs. them" mentality toward Muslims, homosexuals, "liberals" -- stands in the way of obedience to the command to love neighbor as self
5) that God is a God of love and grace who is with us in our trials and troubles, not a "Gotcha!" God looking to trip us up

There's more, and a lot of it is good. Unfortunately, Zacharias falls into some of the very pitfalls she warns us about. Mind you, I'm pretty much a liberal, but I can see that she's guilty of judging conservatives in the same way that the conservatives she's bashing are judging the liberals. I've notice that this is a common failing on both sides of the political divide. (A pastor I know once admitted, "I judge the judgmental people; that's my own sin.) I'm not a Dick Cheney fan, but seeing him lumped with Hitler and Stalin in one sentence was eyebrow-raising, to say the least.

I liked many of the examples she used. The title of the book is an over-arching example within the book -- the mother, held hostage at gunpoint by her religiously deranged son, who was asked by him, "Where's your Jesus now?" to which she replied, "He's right here." Some would be funny if they weren't so sad: the owner of ArmageddonBooks.com, who watches the news to gauge likely demand for his literature. "If things are bad for Israel, business is good. But if there is peace in the Middle East, I'm in trouble."

In all, there was a lot that was worthwhile, but the author got in her own way with a bit too much of a judgmental attitude toward those with whom she disagreed. ( )
1 vote tymfos | Apr 16, 2014 |

'Where's our confidence? Our hope? Is it possible that, in our hyper-vigilance against our enemies, real or perceived, we've taken our eyes off of Jesus, our protector and Redeemer?' Author Karen Spears Zacharias observes that, more and more often, Christians are letting fear blind them to the love of the very God they worship. Zacharias examines the world around us and the events that shape our lives, weaving a compelling exploration of faith versus fear. How is it that those of us who claim to be so firmly founded can be so easily shaken? How do we believe that a God who loves us more than we can comprehend can be willed by us to harm those who do not share our beliefs? Writing with passion while avoiding the extremes of contemporary discussion, Zacharias melds social commentary, insightful spirituality, and a rapier wit in a profound meditation on the nature of faith, 'the evidence of things not yet seen'.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:57 -0400)

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,048,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible