Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life…

Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life (edition 1997)

by David D. Friedman

David Friedman has never taken an economics class in his life. Sure, he's taught economics at UCLA. Chicago, Tulane, Cornell, and Santa Clara, but don't hold that against him. After all, everyone's an economist. We all make daily decisions that rely, consciously or not, on an acute understanding of economic theory--from picking the fastest checkout tine at the supermarket to voting or not voting, from negotiating the best job offer to finding the right person to marry. Hidden Order is an essential guide to rational living, revealing all you need to know to get through each day without being eaten alive. Friedman's wise and immensely accessible book is perfect for amateur economists, struggling economics students, young parents and professionals--just about anyone who wants a clear-cut approach to why we make the choices we do and a sensible strategy for how to make the right ones.… (more)
Member:NeoWayland
Title:Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life
Authors:David D. Friedman
Info:Collins Business (1997), Edition: 1st Pbk. Ed, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life by David D. Friedman

I though this was another ”believe it or not” pop economics book, it is not. It is rather basic economic knowledge attempted dealt out with much sugar, and as such I think it is excellent ( )
  jahn | Jul 9, 2009 |
(Alistair) A good little introduction to economics both micro- and macro-, for the intelligent layman. (It works quite well as a refresher, too, I claim from personal experience.)

I don't know if I'd specifically recommend everyone read it - the author does, after all, make considerable use of charts, graphs, and actual terminology, which in themselves appear to be offputting to a great many people, and does expect you to actually think about the concepts he's explaining to you, although without the usual mathematics - but everyone certainly ought to read something fairly similar to it. This is a good explanation of the amount of economics you ought to be familiar with before being turned loose in the world and expected to make sensible decisions.

(For those of you familiar with David Friedman's politics, be assured that Hidden Order concentrates on the core economics, and is by no means an ideological tract for it author's libertarian views. And I say that even though I incline that way myself, yes.)

Recommended for everyone in severe need of some economic ideas.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2008/12/hidden_order_david_friedman... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Dec 22, 2008 |
Essentially a version of Friedman's intermediate micro text for the lay reader. ( )
  szarka | Nov 4, 2005 |

David D. Friedmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landsburg, SteveForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicatd to: My parents, for early lessons in raitonality, Julius Margolis and James Buchanan, for getting me into this business, and my co-conspirators living and dead, the colleagues from who I have learned: Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Alfred Marshall, Harold Hotelling, George Stigler, Ronald Coase, Thomas Schelling, Gordon Tullock, Gary Becker, Robert Frank, John Von Neumann, Jack Hirschleifer, Earl Thompson, Howard Demsetz, Yew-Kwang Ng, Lawrence Iannaccone, Harold Margolis, Stephen Landsberg, Robin Hanson.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,576,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible