Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Breakfast at Tiffany's (original 1958; edition 1961)

by Truman Capote

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Breakfast at Tiffany's
Authors:Truman Capote
Info:Penguin (1961), Paperback, 1969 reprint, 160 pages
Tags:fiction, 1001, new york, usa, short stories, collection, film

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote (Author) (1958)

English (16)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (26)
I loved this book. I loved Holly. She has so much life it makes it possible to forgive her faults. I watched the movie again when I finished the book and was struck by a lot of the changes. The narrator's mistress and the opulence of his flat were quite startling. However, it is still such a great story with New York itself as a glittering character, that I really enjoyed it, I definitely much prefer the book and would love to have seen Audrey Hepburn portray Holly as she was really written. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Sep 1, 2014 |
I'm sure this was really risque back when it was first published. It might still be risque to some groups today. Though to many people now a flighty, promiscuous girl wouldn't be that big of a deal. Still it's very enjoyable. Of the 3 short stories the first seemed to end abruptly and the second was kind of blah. It was the third, A Christmas Memory, that really blew me away. The relationship between the young boy ("Buddy") and the child-like elderly woman who's his cousin is so well-done and heartbreaking.

That is all. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Funny, moving, brilliantly written; the characterization is marvellous - you can see, hear and almost smell them all. This edition just has the one novella (I also have a paperback which includes three other short stories) and is attractively illustrated. ( )
  overthemoon | Sep 12, 2013 |
I should've read this ages ago. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
The edition I read has Breakfast at Tiffany's and three short stories. I loved one of the short stories far more than I enjoyed the other three.

Breakfast at Tiffany's has, at it's heart, Holly Golightly. She's a captivating character, bedazzling & bewitching all the men she comes across - but I'd strongly suspect I'd not like her at all and would wonder if many women did. I couldn't decide if she was hopelessly naieve, or actually coldblooded & heartless. She seems to live off the gifts and presents of the many men who buzz round her, but I wouldn't say she was a prostitute as such. Escort maybe nearer the truth. She has dealings with the Mafia, acting (potentially unknowingly) as a messenger service between a jailed underworld boss and his cohorts. For delivering a "weather report" each week she earns herself some easy money, but it also lands her in Police custody.
Capote writes her in a very ambiguous way, such that you can't make up your mind how much of this seeming innocence is real and how much is just front. All of the men she comes into contact with are captivated by her, but not necessarily in a possessive manner, more the admiration of a beautiful object they can never posses.

Of the other stories, the one that really caught me was the last one - A Christmas Memory. In the way that all the Christmasses of childhood are more sparkly, more magic, more snowy, somehow just more "Christmassy" this tells of a particular Christmas shared by a small boy and an old woman. They collect pecans from the tree, buy whiskey from the illegal cafe and ingredients for 31 Christmas cakes, before collecting a tree and decorating it with bits & bobs found, rescued and collected. In one sense, nothing much happenes, but it holds the reader in a magic spell conjured up be memories of Christmas past. This I'd give 5 stars, and a box of tissues, to. ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 30, 2013 |

Hammar, BirgittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, EnriqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterson, MarieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jack Dunphy
I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods.
This entry should contain copies containing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" ONLY - please beware that there are very common editions containing this short novel as well as three stories (which is often not noted on the cover!)! Thanks!

The story follows a young writer and his memory of an eccentric, charming call girl named Holly Golightly in Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067960085X, Hardcover)

Contains:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
House of Flowers
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:11 -0400)

House of Flowers, A Diamond Guitar, and A Christmas Memory are included with the tale of a fun-loving amoral playgirl in New York City.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182792, 0141037261, 0241951453

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible