Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Breakfast at Tiffany's (original 1958; edition 1961)

by Truman Capote

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Breakfast at Tiffany's
Authors:Truman Capote
Info:Penguin (1961), Paperback, 1969 reprint, 160 pages
Tags:fiction, 1001, new york, usa, short stories, collection, film

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote (Author) (1958)

English (68)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Japanese (1)  German (1)  All languages (80)
I loved this book. I loved Holly. She has so much life it makes it possible to forgive her faults. I watched the movie again when I finished the book and was struck by a lot of the changes. The narrator's mistress and the opulence of his flat were quite startling. However, it is still such a great story with New York itself as a glittering character, that I really enjoyed it, I definitely much prefer the book and would love to have seen Audrey Hepburn portray Holly as she was really written. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Sep 1, 2014 |
Cute! A few gory details the movie omits. Holly meets the narrator while trying to avoid a lover that bites, Holly becomes pregnant at one point, and Holly's shocking and salty language. Otherwise, pretty much exactly the same as the movie.

Holly was a little less cute and a little more... ambiguous here. Couldn't decide whether I loved her, admired her, or hated her. She was a character, though.

I did not enjoy the rather inconclusive ending, though. It made me feel like nothing at all happened. Maybe it didn't. ( )
1 vote ConnieJo | Aug 29, 2014 |
I'm sure this was really risque back when it was first published. It might still be risque to some groups today. Though to many people now a flighty, promiscuous girl wouldn't be that big of a deal. Still it's very enjoyable. Of the 3 short stories the first seemed to end abruptly and the second was kind of blah. It was the third, A Christmas Memory, that really blew me away. The relationship between the young boy ("Buddy") and the child-like elderly woman who's his cousin is so well-done and heartbreaking.

That is all. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
There are lots of reviews of this novel, so I just wanted to pick out a few favourite passages:
When Holly talks about dealing with the 'mean reds' worse than the blues):
'What I’ve found does the most good is just to get into a taxi and go to Tiffany’s. It calms me down right away, the quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there, not with those kind men in their nice suits, and that lovely smell of silver and alligator wallets. If I could find a real-life place that made me feel like Tiffany’s, then I’d buy some furniture and give the cat a name.'
I took Capote to be saying that cat and Holly were the same; they both came from the alley and were looking for somewhere to call home. She abandoned cat but he found that safe place and I like to think Holly did too.
'I told you. We just met by the river one day: that's all. Independents, both of us. We never made each other any promises. We never -' When she can't find cat, she says 'I'm very scared, Buster. Yes, at last. Because it could go on for ever. Not knowing what's yours until you've thrown it away. The mean reds, they're nothing. The fat woman, she nothing. This though: my mouth's so dry, if my life depended on it I couldn't spit'.
There are so many pictures I will remember from this novel, for such a short novel he has packed in so much.
In terms of feminism, Holly is not a character that stands up for her sisters, she is independent in that, although she shows compassion, everything she does is for herself. Holly is flighty and has a travelling spirit, always searching for her identity. This gives her an endearing charm.
Although she lives alone, she is dependent on white upper class men and so cannot be classed as an independent woman, in the way we would mean that today. ( )
1 vote Tifi | Sep 15, 2013 |
Funny, moving, brilliantly written; the characterization is marvellous - you can see, hear and almost smell them all. This edition just has the one novella (I also have a paperback which includes three other short stories) and is attractively illustrated. ( )
  overthemoon | Sep 12, 2013 |

Hammar, BirgittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, EnriqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterson, MarieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jack Dunphy
I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods.

The story follows a young writer and his memory of an eccentric, charming call girl named Holly Golightly in Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067960085X, Hardcover)

Contains:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
House of Flowers
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:11 -0400)

House of Flowers, A Diamond Guitar, and A Christmas Memory are included with the tale of a fun-loving amoral playgirl in New York City.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182792, 0141037261, 0241951453

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,362,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible