When a Stranger Loves Me by Julianne Maclean

When a Stranger Loves Me

by Julianne Maclean

1870s (1) 1874 (1) 1875 (1) 2009 (4) Already read (1) amnesia (2) artist (1) c (1) c-book (2) discarded (1) England (1) fiction (2) gone (1) have (1) historical (6) historical romance (11) Historical Romance TBR (1) ICL (1) Lady Chelsea Campion (1) read (1) regency (1) reread (1) Rom (1) romance (10) S8 (1) series (1) to-read (5) unowned (1) unread (2) Victorian (3)

"She had not known it was possible to FEEL so much, to want to laugh and cry, all at the same time, and despite her fears and regrets, her self-reproach and misgivings, she was grateful for this emotional experience. Last night she finally realized how dead she had been over these past seven years, living throgh the characters in her stories, and this morning she felt reborn." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Humph. Julieanne MacLean is a talented writer. Her prose flows beautifully and her characters are memorable. Unfortunately, the plot in "When a Stranger Loves Me" was just a bit too outre FOR ME.

Chelsea lives a life of freedom now that she's disgraced. However, she's perfectly content with her writing and her rambles about the seashore. But since her brother and his wife have been unable to have a child, he and her mother are looking to marry her off to the presumptive heir--a nasty, smelly old man. Desperate to save herself, when a stranger with no memory washes up on the seashore, Chelsea's inventive mind begins to spin a plot.

He has no memory, no clothes, and almost no life! Since he woke up, 'Jack' has clung to the woman who saved him. Their time together is increasingly special and passionate. But when he discovers Chelsea's plot...nothing can convince him of her true feelings.

Chelsea is a truly unusual heroine. But even understanding her reasoning didn't wash the foul taste from my mouth. And the complicity of her mother and brother was the last straw. For me, there were just too many things that didn't make sense. I understand they were needed to progress the story, but I just flat out didn't like or believe them. That made the whole book more of a chore than an enjoyment.

On the plus side, everything else carried Ms. MacLean's normal great writing--pace, tension, relationship--all were there for me with the big exception of a few plot devices. The good news is, if this doesn't bug you, then "When a Stranger Loves Me" will be another winner for you! ( )
  jjmachshev | Apr 27, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061456853, Mass Market Paperback)

I saved his life . . . and I had much to demand in return.

When he washed up on shore, I knew my prayers had been answered, and that I, Lady Chelsea Campion, need no longer fear poverty and heartbreak. To secure my family's estate, all I needed was a child. Handsome, clearly noble-born, and with no memory of his previous life, the mysterious man was perfect. All I had to do was visit his bedchamber and seduce him. I had expected him to be a skillful, scandalously wonderful lover, but once in his arms I was overcome by something more than mere passion. I had fallen hopelessly, desperately in love.

My plan has gone shockingly awry. But I will not give up a man who makes me feel such wicked ecstasy. No matter his true identity, no matter the secrets he struggles to remember, I will do anything in this world to make this stranger love me.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:16 -0400)

ROMANCE. Lady Chelsea Campion can't believe her luck when a man washes up on the shore of her family's estate. Handsome, clearly noble-born, and lacking all his memories, he's the perfect man. It shouldn't be too hard to seduce him and get with child, thereby ensuring the estate stays within the family. And when they start to fall in love, it seems that everything will work according to plan. Until the mysterious man's identity is revealed - Lord Blake Sinclair, son of the Duke of Pembroke, and possibly married man. Enraged at Chelsea's deception, and completely unsure of his future, he drags Chelsea back to London, determined to uncover the truth - even if it means losing the woman who has won his heart.… (more)

20 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,594,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible