Life Without Summer by Lynne Griffin

Life Without Summer

by Lynne Griffin

English (11)  French (1)  All (12)
Life Without Summer is a haunting portrait of two women whose lives converge unexpectedly when the answers one needs turn out to be the other's only chance for peace. Looking forward to reading more from this author!!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Just plain great! I read Sea Escape and liked it so much that I wondered what else Griffin had written and here was her debut novel and what a way to begin! In some ways you feel as though you know what's coming but it's an amazing puzzle she has put together in this book. I wish I still had it to read and am looking forward to more from her! ( )
  nyiper | Oct 25, 2012 |
This is a debut novel? Wow, I am so impressed! This book is written with the depth and feeling of a seasoned novelist. The main character Tessa's grief over the death of her daughter envelopes the reader from the first couple of pages. I could feel her moving through the stages of grief, however resistant and unwilling she was to move at all. The parallel storyline of Tessa's therapist Celia and her broken family was equally interesting and broke up the sadness in the novel. Without the alternating between the two storylines, the book may have become too depressing.

Although I saw the ending a mile away, I still could not put this book down! The characters were so likable and the stories so intertwined that it really made for a thoughtful and beautiful book. ( )
  TemeculaMomma | Jun 12, 2012 |
It’s a true-like book telling the story of two women. A story that could happen in any neighbourhood. I felt as if I understood what the characters were about. The characters were not over exaggerated or It’s It's a true-like book telling the story of two women. Thier lives, their family, their struggles their loss and their choices. A story that could happen in any neighbourhood. I felt I understood the characters. The characters were not over exaggerated or phoney. There were times in the book that I could relate with the character.

The story kept me engaged. Just like in life, there were parts that I predicted, but the way that it was read it still held my attention. It was smooth reading and hard to set aside. A simple, pleasant read yet enticing story.

Loved it. ( )
2 vote callmejacx | Nov 20, 2011 |
corny and sentimental but pretty well-written. ( )
  dablackwood | Jul 30, 2010 |
Tessa en haar man Ethan vormden samen met hun dochtertje Abby het ideale gezinnetje, maar hun geluk spatte uiteen toen ze Abby verloren door een auto-ongeluk waarbij de dader is doorgereden. Ethan probeert zo goed en zo kwaad als het gaat zijn leven weer op te pakken, maar Tessa kan het verlies niet verwerken. Ze bijt zich vast in de zoektocht naar de dader, temeer omdat het politieonderzoek niet wil vlotten.
Ze gaat uiteindelijk naar een psycholoog, Celia. Zij heeft zelf tien jaar daarvoor haar dochtertje Summer verloren aan leukemie. Door de ontmoetingen met Tessa wordt Celia geconfronteerd met het verleden en er komen emoties los die ze jarenlang heeft onderdrukt. Bovendien wordt ze gedwongen om de nieuwe spanningen in haar leven onder ogen te zien: haar humeurige tienerzoon, een ex-man met een drankprobleem en haar wankele nieuwe huwelijk. Ze zal moeten leren leven met de fouten die ze in het verleden heeft gemaakt en de keuzes die haar gezin uiteen deden vallen.
added by rieja | editVan Stockum internet boekhandel (Nov 26, 2011)

"Oh summer day beside the joyous seal. O summer day so wonderful and white. So full of gladness and so full of pain! Forever and forever shalt thou to be. To some the gravestones of a dead delight. To some the landmark of a new domain." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - A Summer Day By The Sea
"There's a thud as her little body collides with the front fender."

Life Without Summer tells the story of Tessa, a mother who has just lost her four-year-old daughter in a hit-and-run accident and the grief counselor, Celia, who tries to help her to put her life back together. When their lives begin to intersect in powerful and unexpected ways, they discover that the answers one needs might be the other’s only chance for peace. Each woman’s intensely personal journey reverberates with universal themes about the connections between love, marriage, truth, and forgiveness that no reader will forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

A tale told in alternating voices follows the experiences of bereaved mother Tessa, who searches for answers after her four-year-old daughter is killed in a hit-and-run accident; and her grief counselor, Celia, whose efforts to help Tessa revive painful family memories.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,943,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible