Between the assassinations by Aravind Adiga

Between the assassinations (2009)

by Aravind Adiga

6981913,611 (3.35)45

English (16)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (19)
Unrelenting poverty and corruption. None of the stories have a happy ending. Things go right for one character and he blows it. Depressing. though it was funny that the one woman thought if she lived a bad enough life she would come back as a Christian. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 23, 2016 |
Probably more like 3.5 stars. The book was cleverly written as a series of seemingly disconnected short stories that were connected by their common setting in a fictitious Indian city. The same streets and businesses and schools were mentioned in different stories, and the same class/caste struggles were manifest in situations with different individuals. I increased my vocabulary with the reading of this book as I learned many new words which I assume are somewhat common to the Indian culture, as they were not italicized as foreign words: beedi, lathi, veena, mahout and jaggery are ones that stick in my memory. I wonder how long I will remember them! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This is essentially a collection of short stories set in the town of Kittur. The author paints his characters with a fine brush, you can feel the heat, the flies and the smell. It is however only a collection of vignettes and I feel that it would have benefitted from a narrative flowing through the book. Some might say that there indeed is, be it entrapment, segregation, discrimination or injustice but it is left to the reader to notice the similarities. All in all I was left feeling slightly let down despite having enjoyed the journey to the end.
  shushokan | Apr 17, 2012 |
The setting Adiga crafts was absolutely absorbing. I could literally feel the sweltering heat he describes and smell the stench of the garbage piling up in the streets. The filth – physical and metaphorical – angered me and I could feel everyone in the city’s blood boiling and seething with hatred under the surface.

He also managed to make me fall in love with all but a few of the characters he introduces over seven days. (Adiga says that the town’s richness demands a minimum stay of a week.) Some of the characters are the ones people would turn away from in either fear or shame at their condition, and yet Adiga forces us to all look at these people and see them as real.

I enjoyed this novel even if it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. You can bet I will picking up Adiga’s other novel for which he won the Man Booker Prize. ( )
  theardentreader | Nov 11, 2011 |

In this short story collection set in the Indian city of Kittur sometime between the assassination of Indira Gandhi in 1984 and that of her son Rajiv in 1991, Adiga creates a cast of characters--from a twelve-year old boy to a Marxist-Maoist Party member--who are immersed in class struggles and their own personal denouements.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible