Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises…

Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips… (edition 2004)

by James Scott Bell (Author)

Member:trcovell
Title:Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
Authors:James Scott Bell (Author)
Info:Writer's Digest Books (2004), Edition: 5, 240 pages

Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell

Beginnings, Middles & Ends by Nancy Kress (CKmtl)
    CKmtl: While these two works touch on the same material, I find Bell's treatment slightly better.

Great advice on what makes good writing and how to solve problems ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
Bell’s book isn’t a mere taxonomy of various plots. No, Plot and Structure lays bare the mechanics of plot. This is a tinkerer’s book. Bell shows the distinction between inciting incident and plot point. He also explains, in a way that I now understand, the differences and connections between the acts in a three-act structure: I, II, and III. Lastly, Bell has some genuinely useful exercises for developing ideas about plots and characters. I’m being vague here because I have to be: Bell, a lawyer by trade, makes the reader sign, at the end of the book, an unusual Confidentiality and Non-Compete Agreement: one consents to the agreement, and is bound by it, simply by virtue of having only read it. The less said, the better. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Fantastic writing resource. I can tell I'm going to refer to this one again and again. I liked it so much that I purchased the other books in the series. ( )
  ScottBeard | Feb 21, 2016 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Bell has a warm, friendly tone and presents an organized collection of many helpful tools for analyzing, building, and revising plots. As someone who struggles with plot, I was grateful to have all the broad strokes outlined in a non-intimidating way in one place. There are many exercises (some which I don't imagine using, but many which I think I'll be glad to adopt), and I also love that Bell has an Appendix that lists all the bare bones out clearly.

If I didn't consider this book a rollicking good ride (which was not its purpose), it's certainly useful and I can imagine myself coming back to this again... especially because I do want to try more extensive outlining for one of my future novels. :) ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I found some good ideas and exercises in here. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158297294X, Paperback)

Craft an Engaging Plot

How does plot influence story structure? What's the difference between plotting for commercial and literary fiction? How do you revise a plot or structure that's gone off course?

With Write Great Fiction: Plot & Structure, you'll discover the answers to these questions and more. Award-winning author James Scott Bell offers clear, concise information that will help you create a believable and memorable plot, including:Techniques for crafting strong beginnings, middles, and ends Easy-to-understand plotting diagrams and charts Brainstorming techniques for original plot ideas Thought-provoking exercises at the end of each chapter Story structure models and methods for all genres Tips and tools for correcting common plot problems

Filled with plot examples from popular novels, comprehensive checklists, and practical hands-on guidance, Write Great Fiction: Plot & Structure gives you the skills you need to approach plot and structure like an experienced pro.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

'Plot & Structure' offers clear and concise information on creating a believable and engaging plot that readers can't resist. Written by award-winning thriller and suspense author James Scott Bell, his handy instruction guide includes easy-to-understand techniques, engaging exercises and guidance.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible