Snow Queen, The by Joan D. Vinge

Snow Queen, The (original 1980; edition 1990)

by Joan D. Vinge

Member:fionamae
Title:Snow Queen, The
Authors:Joan D. Vinge
Info:Easton Press (1990), Hardcover
Tags:fantasy

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (Author) (1980)

English (37)  Italian (1)  All languages (38)
Combining old fairy tale and far future, post space exploration setting to obtain a positive and nice story. The combination is very well made, relying on some people taking technology as cvasi-magical and the struggles of humanity to rise again from the ashes of a fallen empire. Characters are a bit linear/driven only by strong forces beyond their will (one of the more interesting character is the women police commander that struggles for meaning and recognition and her captain). The male characters (Sparks) seems a bit teenagaer-ish from start to finish, and he is redeemed although he does nothing. Most characters are painted in a rather positive light, with their motive explained and not being really evil (even the snow queen. Overall an enjoyable lecture with some twists but an expected ending. ( )
  vladmihaisima | Jan 2, 2019 |
Tiamat is a planet inhabited by two (nearly literally) polar opposite peoples - the Summers and the Winters. They trade rule back and forth in 150-year jaunts. The story takes place during a Winter reign, and Arienrhod is the Snow Queen ruling over the entire world and who (by nefarious means, of course) has kept herself alive and young for all of her 150-year time as ruler. There is a police force, though, representing The Hegemony, a multi-world governing body, which holds power over Tiamat and holds their culture and society back for their own reasons. Moon and Sparks are a part of this world: Summers, cousins and lovers, who find themselves torn apart on many levels, fighting to find each other again, and playing more important roles in the turn of events than they would ever have dreamed.
Slow in places, but the story is a good one overall. Interesting premise, cool world building and solid characters. ( )
  electrascaife | May 14, 2018 |
I read this book ages ago and have been trying to figure out who wrote it. It was very original, in my mind when I read it. I will be going back to re-read it now that I found it again.
  dbhart42 | Dec 21, 2017 |
It really irritates me that I can't remember why I sought out this book. I have made a concerted effort recently to find SF written by women, but still, some one or some article must have recommended this book in particular, and I don't remember what that was. It was a like a mosquito buzzing around my head the entire time I read this book.

But onto the book itself! Like Dune, the planet of our particular interest (in this case, Tiamat), is the only source of an amazing substance with powerful effects. Like in Dune, the rules of the known universe conspire to keep this planet subjugated in order to enjoy continued supply of said substance. And like in Dune, there is one character who seems uniquely predestined to rule this planet and lead it out of its subjugation. (Also, like in Dune, this doesn't really rely on exploiting the substance, but rather halting its production altogether.)

The Snow Queen is a highly ambitious book. Unfortunately, I didn't find Moon nearly as relatable as Paul. (Paul? Relatable? It seems strange to say such a thing, even in comparison.) Moon is foreign from top to bottom -- starting out as a Lady-worshiping, cousin-loving island girl, transformed into a sibyl for the Lady herself, then as she discovers what a sibyl truly is and finally learns that she is a clone of the Snow Queen, ruler of Tiamat, created in an attempt to retain power past the Change...

It was the minor characters and the fate of the planet itself that finally drew me in, until I was reading voraciously, turning each page with both increasing hunger and certainty that the ultimate fate I yearned to learn wouldn't be revealed until a later book. (Indeed! There are at least three more books in the series.) I fell in love with the mers, with Fate, with PalaThion, Miroe, BZ, Tor and her faithful Pollux. Some readers criticized that Snow Queen was too long, and maybe during the long, slow buildup I would have agreed. But by the end I wanted more, more more. Chapters, entire books devoted to these fascinating support characters! And more about Moon's plotting for Summer! I guess this all means I'm on the hook for at least the next book in the series... ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
An epic story composed of various themes. The main characters were a bit dim at times but the world-building is first-rate. Despite a slow pace the story remained intriguing enough to keep me reading. The showdown between Arienrhod and Moon seemed anti-climactic and the lengthy denouement lowered my rating a bit. Still, this is quite a good book that contains some very cool concepts. I'm glad I have the next two books in the series waiting on my shelf. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 13, 2016 |

Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pultyn, JanuszTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, France-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...strait is the gate and narrow is the way which
leadeth unto light, and few there be that find it."

- New Testament, Matthew 7:14
"You shall have joy, or you shall have power, said
God; you shall not have both.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
To the Lady, who gives, and who takes away.
The door swung shut silently behind them, cutting off the light, music, and wild celebration of the ballroom.

The imperious Winter colonists have ruled the planet Tiamat for 150 years, deriving wealth from the slaughter of the sea mers. But soon the galactic stargate will close, isolating Tiamat, and the 150-year reign of the Summer primitives will begin. All is not lost if Arienrhod, the ageless, corrupt Snow Queen, can destroy destiny with an act of genocide. Arienrhod is not without competition as Moon, a young Summer-tribe sibyl, and the nemesis of the Snow Queen, battles to break a conspiracy that spans space.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

As the end of her third lifetime draws near, Arienrhod, the ancient ruler of far Tiamat, clones several heirs, and seeds them on different islands throughout her sea-dark world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,356,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible