The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

The Snow Queen (original 1980; edition 1980)

by Joan D. Vinge

Member:HanJie
Title:The Snow Queen
Authors:Joan D. Vinge
Info:London : Macdonald Futura, 1981, c1980.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:hugo, locus, fairy tale, science fiction

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (1980)

English (34)  Italian (1)  English (35)
An epic story composed of various themes. The main characters were a bit dim at times but the world-building is first-rate. Despite a slow pace the story remained intriguing enough to keep me reading. The showdown between Arienrhod and Moon seemed anti-climactic and the lengthy denouement lowered my rating a bit. Still, this is quite a good book that contains some very cool concepts. I'm glad I have the next two books in the series waiting on my shelf. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 13, 2016 |
An especially poignant coming of age novel, this book is a unstinting foray into "talent" and what it can entail - both the resolve and responsibility. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I always found the Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale [b:The Snow Queen|139987|The Snow Queen|Hans Christian Andersen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320401869s/139987.jpg|2535765] oddly disturbing, that business with mirror splinters in the eye creeped me out as a kid. This Hugo award winning book by Joan D. Vinge (Mrs. Vernor Vinge no less), takes the original tale and turns it up to 11. I find that female science fiction authors are frequently better at character development and are better prose stylists than their male counterparts, cases in point (off the top of my head) would be Ursula K. Le Guin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Connie Willis, Anne Macaffrey and Mrs. Vinge here very much deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with them (but isn't). Certainly with this book she has created some emotionally complex and believable characters who she puts through the wringer and they come out better people for it (unlike in real life when I tend to shake my fist at the sky post-wringer sessions).

The hardest villains to write are the ones who are morally complex and commit heinous acts on the basis of some warped principles, like altruism gone wrong. The super wicked titular Machiavellian character never hesitate to corrupt, murder and destroy for in the name of planetary progress. She thinks nothing of killing half the populace yet she misses her younger days when she was just a happy care-free girl and instinctively fall for a boy who reminds her of her younger self. She now ranks among my all time favorite villains. Romance is a major aspect of the story but not the adolescent starry-eyed type that will leave twitards weak at the knees. Here it is portrayed as a vastly complicated human condition that create, destroy, corrupt and redeem with equal facility.

My only complaint is that the male characters are not as well developed as the ladies, especially the two "starbucks" characters who are despicable and deserve their eventual decaffeination (sorry). The one exception is a sympathetic policeman who goes on to have his own spin-off adventures in later books.

It is a terrible shame that The Snow Queen is out of print (as I write) while Stephenie Meyer's literary manures are in plentiful supply. The most recent book by Joan D. Vinge appears to be a [b:Cowboys and Aliens|10904100|Cowboys and Aliens|Joan D. Vinge|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1318919765s/10904100.jpg|15820209] novelization. What is the world coming to?? ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
I liked the Snow Queen because the setting and conflicts were constantly changing, although the end dragged a bit.

The novel starts with a boy and a girl in a fishing village, and I was worried that the story was going to hang around there for longer than it needed to, introducing me to lots of boring fishing folk and their banal fishing lifestyles. However, the plot never stays in one place for long. It goes to the world’s capital, a village of savages, a wildlife refuge, and eventually to another planet entirely. Characters’ relationships are also constantly developing–whether people are lovers, friends, enemies, uneasy allies, or lackeys, chances are that relationship will shift to something else before long.

Unfortunately, I felt the end tried to be more capital-T Thematic than it needed to be. Writers get across a sense of Theme by slipping in universal statements that apply not only to their characters’ specific situation, but also to humankind in general. However, staying too long in the Platonic plane of Theme makes the story more of a philosophical essay, and I think Vinge uses Moon as her mouthpiece for Theme a bit too much in the last 150 pages. ( )
  CarsonKicklighter | Jan 26, 2015 |
It really irritates me that I can't remember why I sought out this book. I have made a concerted effort recently to find SF written by women, but still, some one or some article must have recommended this book in particular, and I don't remember what that was. It was a like a mosquito buzzing around my head the entire time I read this book.

But onto the book itself! Like Dune, the planet of our particular interest (in this case, Tiamat), is the only source of an amazing substance with powerful effects. Like in Dune, the rules of the known universe conspire to keep this planet subjugated in order to enjoy continued supply of said substance. And like in Dune, there is one character who seems uniquely predestined to rule this planet and lead it out of its subjugation. (Also, like in Dune, this doesn't really rely on exploiting the substance, but rather halting its production altogether.)

The Snow Queen is a highly ambitious book. Unfortunately, I didn't find Moon nearly as relatable as Paul. (Paul? Relatable? It seems strange to say such a thing, even in comparison.) Moon is foreign from top to bottom -- starting out as a Lady-worshiping, cousin-loving island girl, transformed into a sibyl for the Lady herself, then as she discovers what a sibyl truly is and finally learns that she is a clone of the Snow Queen, ruler of Tiamat, created in an attempt to retain power past the Change...

It was the minor characters and the fate of the planet itself that finally drew me in, until I was reading voraciously, turning each page with both increasing hunger and certainty that the ultimate fate I yearned to learn wouldn't be revealed until a later book. (Indeed! There are at least three more books in the series.) I fell in love with the mers, with Fate, with PalaThion, Miroe, BZ, Tor and her faithful Pollux. Some readers criticized that Snow Queen was too long, and maybe during the long, slow buildup I would have agreed. But by the end I wanted more, more more. Chapters, entire books devoted to these fascinating support characters! And more about Moon's plotting for Summer! I guess this all means I'm on the hook for at least the next book in the series... ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

Joan D. Vingeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, France-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...strait is the gate and narrow is the way which
leadeth unto light, and few there be that find it."

- New Testament, Matthew 7:14
"You shall have joy, or you shall have power, said
God; you shall not have both.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
To the Lady, who gives, and who takes away.
The door swung shut silently behind them, cutting off the light, music, and wild celebration of the ballroom.

The imperious Winter colonists have ruled the planet Tiamat for 150 years, deriving wealth from the slaughter of the sea mers. But soon the galactic stargate will close, isolating Tiamat, and the 150-year reign of the Summer primitives will begin. All is not lost if Arienrhod, the ageless, corrupt Snow Queen, can destroy destiny with an act of genocide. Arienrhod is not without competition as Moon, a young Summer-tribe sibyl, and the nemesis of the Snow Queen, battles to break a conspiracy that spans space.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

As the end of her third lifetime draws near, Arienrhod, the ancient ruler of far Tiamat, clones several heirs, and seeds them on different islands throughout her sea-dark world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,702,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible