dismiss

ABC of reading (Faber paper covered…

ABC of reading (Faber paper covered editions) (original 1934; edition 1968)

by Ezra Pound

This important work, first published in 1934, is a concise statement of Pound's aesthetic theory. It is a primer for the reader who wants to maintain an active, critical mind and become increasingly sensitive to the beauty and inspiration of the world's best literature. With characteristic vigor and iconoclasm, Pound illustrates his precepts with exhibits meticulously chosen from the classics, and the concluding "Treatise on Meter" provides an illuminating essay for anyone aspiring to read and write poetry. ABC of Reading displays Pound's great ability to open new avenues in literature for our time.… (more)
Member:GregsBookCell
Title:ABC of reading (Faber paper covered editions)
Authors:Ezra Pound
Info:Faber and Faber (1968), Unknown Binding, 206 pages
Tags:Poets on Poetry

ABC of Reading by Ezra Pound (1934)

La escritora muerta (Spanish Edition) by Núria Añó (Anonymous user)
    Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two literati writing about literature. I recommend reading them as much for style as for content

The committed student needs to be wide awake, to look and listen closely, to slow down, scrutinize and reflect. The language of poetry is so dense, so multivalent, that it demands a concentrated act of attention — and offers its greatest rewards only to those who reread.

Predictably didactic and teeming with bombast, this is a sound primer to poetry and an illuminating insight into the turns and shifts Pound was making as the 1930s released a greasy slip into global catastrophe. Intriguing as Cranky Ezra proclaims Chaucer the father of European Verse and then picks examples of the subsequent tradition, many of which have since lapsed into obscurity. Prime those shovels, ye exhumers! ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This classic work of literary criticism was very amusing to me, with its draconian pronouncements and caustic contempt for the sub-literate and sloppy. Pound has very strong likes and dislikes, and while his enthusiasms are often eccentric (Walter Savage Landor? Fitzgerald's translation of Rubaiyat?), the energy and certainty with which he trumpets them are refreshing. There's a critical worldview in there somewhere, albeit one based on aphorism and epigram rather than systematic analysis. ( )
  MikeLindgren51 | Aug 7, 2018 |
A primeira parte consiste em observações que um leitor mais atento e voraz aprende lendo, a segunda parte é mais proveitosa por dar exemplos práticos da evolução da poesia em inglês com comentários pertinentes de Pound, com o porém que sou completamente uma negação em decifrar a linguagem dos poemas isabelinos, o que nos leva diretamente à terceira parte onde tais poemas são felizmente traduzidos na versão brasileira pelos irmãos Campos e Décio Pignatari. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
A quite refreshing "healthy" dose of reality! ( )
  Philo_Sophos | Dec 12, 2017 |
I read, and continue to read, and become less and less convinced by literary criticism. I just seem to doubt the worth of it all.
I doubt if Literature is 'the NEWS that stay NEWS'. I wonder to what extent The Illiad, and all its themes of Glory, Homecoming and Honor, needs to remain NEWS in a society that does not share these themes as values (something that can be evidenced in the lack of common ground between the awful Brad Pit movie and the source material). That the piece has lasted this long is a testimony of how badly we care to leave the signposts of our history around us, and our attempts at reassembling it in a desperate search for a relevant and contemporary meaning is a testimony to our attachment to a barbaric past.
"Chaucer had a deeper knowledge of life than Shakespeare. Let the reader contradict that after reading both authors, if he chooses to do so."
I can think of little more absolutely and stunningly stupid as claiming that there is a solid unified whole that can be called life, or that a single author can somehow be more authoritative on it. One can, at best, be authoritative on extremely modest segments on life. But by whatever calculation, where I now sit is closer to 1616 than 1400, although soon both of these writers will be sufficiently removed from our experience as to be equally irrelevant.
"Great literature is simply language charged with meaning to the utmost possible degree." Not really. We, as readers, inscribe meaning into what we read. No book, no matter how great, is inherently charged with any significant meaning. Rather, the reader puts meaning into it where he finds it (and here a plug to the wonderful essay 'Shakespeare in the bush' is necessary.)

Literary Criticism is little more than a brazen attempt to justify one's own tastes. ( )
  M.Campanella | Dec 27, 2013 |

Ezra Poundprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lustig, AlvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Legacy Library: Ezra Pound

Ezra Pound has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ezra Pound's legacy profile.

See Ezra Pound's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,807,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible