A repèl (À rebours). by J.-K. Huysmans

A repèl (À rebours). (1884)

by J.-K. Huysmans, Martí Martí i Pol (Translator)

Member:estornells
Title:A repèl (À rebours).
Authors:J.-K. Huysmans
Other authors:Martí Martí i Pol (Translator)
Info:Edhasa
Tags:Novel·la, Segle XIX

Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (1884)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (roby72, Zeeko, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie in Wikipedia zu 'Gegen den Strich' beschrieben: "Ein französischer Roman, der den Protagonisten in Oscar Wildes Roman Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray zu dekadenten Ausschweifungen inspiriert, wird häufig als Anspielung auf À rebours gedeutet. Wilde war - wie auch Stéphane Mallarmé - ein Bewunderer des Romans."… (more)
    Bruges-la-Morte by Georges Rodenbach (defaults)
    Submission by Michel Houellebecq (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In "Unterwerfung" geht es um einen Professor der Literaturwissenschaften mit Schwerpunkt "Huysman". Entsprechend wird auch viel über Huysman gesprochen.
    Festins secrets by Pierre Jourde (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Reading Writing by Julien Gracq (Eustrabirbeonne)
    With the Flow by Joris-Karl Huysmans (arztriper)

English (43)  Italian (3)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All (53)
I have known for a long, long time that I needed to read this book. When I discovered that the "poisonous little Bible" of Dorian Gray's was a reference to a real text I craved it, but I was also very afraid of it. Part was the fear that it would not be everything that I wanted it to be, everything that the beautiful Chapter 11 of [b:The Picture of Dorian Gray|489732|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1318163354s/489732.jpg|1858012] describes. Part of it was a fear that I might be bored by it because some reviews I read made it sound pedantic and difficult. And, well, maybe it is those things but it wasn't bad for being those things. Perhaps I read it at the right time, having a Mature & Cultivated Literary Taste thanks to my Degree, and what with focusing my thesis work on this matter. And yet another part of me believes that high-school Micha would have loved this every bit as much. The novel's only character, Des Esseintes, is so misanthropic and fulfils everything I look for in a Decadent protagonist, and his plaintive appeal to the doctor, "But I just don't enjoy the pleasures other people enjoy!" would have struck the same chord in me then as it does now. I found this novel extremely funny in its way and am so glad to have read it (and quite glad that I will continue to work closely with it over the coming months). I don't know who I would recommend it to or if I would do that. Likely you have to come to a work like this of your own choosing entirely. It's not to be thrust upon anyone. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
I quit at 40%. Childish are the behaviour and philosophies of the protagonist who elaborates chapters long on Latin writers that are to his taste or not, flowers that he likes or not, etc. This novel of ideas is more a collection of essays than a narrative. Very boring! ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
I'm not saying it's a bad book, but it's definitely not a book for me. I probably shouldn't even rate it, because it's not a book to rate for me. It was a real ordeal to read, but not because it's a bad book, but rather because the topics are completely disconnected with me. The idea is interesting, but the things the author actually talks about aren't my area. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
Like Don Quixote this book possesses some magnificent chapters, and some that you just have to grimace through. There'll never be a better chapter than when Des Esseintes decides to journey to London, but doesn't actually make it. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
Absurdity and lots of lists abound! Review to come on blog soon. ( )
  KatrinkaV | May 24, 2016 |

Nylén, AnttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redon, OdilonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sbarbaro, CamilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zaidenberg, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Over two months elapsed before Des Esseintes could immerse himself in the peaceful silence of his house at Fontenay, for purchases of all sorts still kept him perambulating the streets and ransacking the shops from one end of Paris to the other.
If, in a cosy fantasy of cultural influence, one were to present one's young niece or nephew with their first nineteenth-century novel, only the most wicked amongst us would choose Joris-Karl Huysmans's Against Nature (in the original French, A rebours). (Introduction)
Judging by the few portraits that have been preserved in the Chateau de Lourps, the line of the Floressas des Esseintes consisted, in bygone days, of muscular warriors and grim-looking mercenaries. (Prologue)

A wildly original fin-de-siècle novel, Against Nature follows its sole character, Des Esseintes, a decadent, ailing aristocrat who retreats to an isolated villa where he indulges his taste for luxury and excess. Veering between nervous excitability and debilitating ennui, he gluts his aesthetic appetites with classical literature and art, exotic jewels (with which he fatally encrusts the shell of his tortoise), rich perfumes, and a kaleidoscope of sensual experiences. The original handbook of decadence, Against Nature exploded “like a grenade” (in the words of its author) and has enjoyed a cult readership from its publication to the present day.

Features a new Introduction, chronology, and notes and reproduces Huysmans's 1903 preface
Includes a section of contemporary reviews and responses from writers including Mallarmé, Zola, and Wilde

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,911,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible