Last Train to Istanbul by Ayse Kulin

Last Train to Istanbul (2002)

by Ayse Kulin

English (15)  Dutch (2)  All (17)
I really like historical novels so I liked that aspect of this story.
What I didn’t like was what seemed to be “sappyness” relating to the relationship between the two sisters and their families.
All in all it wasn’t a bad read but I had expected better from the write ups so was disappointed.
I doubt I’d recommend it to anyone. ( )
  KarenHerndon | May 23, 2018 |
While I knew what would happen (Jews in WWII), I was surprised to learn about the connection they had with a Turkey, the Muslims & the Christians. It should be required reading to help fill in the huge blanks we, as Americans, have surrounding the Mid-East and their history/conflicts. ( )
  sraelling | Jan 31, 2017 |
Čitljiva knjiga teške teme. Period II. svjetskog rata prikazan iz turske perespektive. Poučno i zanimljivo. ( )
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
The Last Train to Istanbul was a mediocre read. It could have been due to the translation, but the sentence structure was very choppy; short, clipped sentences. The story was also a bit disjointed. It was billed as a story about a Turkish family, but it was really "stories" about individuals who knew each other in Paris, Istanbul, and Marsellies during the occupation of France. This story could have had great potential, but it was never realized. I did learn a lot about Turkey's dilemma in WWII--who should they be more scared of-The Germans or the Russians? Also found several glaring spelling errors. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jul 7, 2016 |
Information from the Turkish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Born into privilege to one of the last Ottoman pasas, beautiful, spirited Selva is the brightest jewel in her father's household - until she falls in love with Rafael Alfandari. Though Turkey has long been a safe haven for Jews, marriage between a high-ranking Muslim girl and a Jewish boy is strictly forbidden. Yet young love will not be denied, and Selva and Rafael defy their parents and marry, fleeing to Paris in hopes of a better life - only to find themselves trapped in the path of the invading Nazis. But in the midst of darkness shines a beacon of hope: a handful of courageous Turkish diplomats, protected only by the tenuous neutrality of their homeland, hatch a daring plot to spirit the exiled lovers and hundreds of innocent Jews to safety. Together, they will traverse a war-torn continent, crossing enemy lines and risking everything in one last, desperate bid for freedom.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,509,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible