Doctor Sax : Faust part three by Jack…

Doctor Sax : Faust part three (original 1959; edition 1959)

by Jack Kerouac

581None17,087 (3.14)18
Member:chexmix
Title:Doctor Sax : Faust part three
Authors:Jack Kerouac
Info:New York : Grove Press, 1987, c1959.
Collections:Read but unowned

Dr. Sax by Jack Kerouac (1959)

Recently added byjasbro, Voss, private library, FelixWhelan, DHPolley, cordwainer, Dureo, punto50, fibonacci73
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders, JeffBuckley
    Visions of Gerard by Jack Kerouac (joemontibello)
    joemontibello: Both novels that focus on Kerouac's early life in Lowell, MA.

There's stream-of-consciousness and there are the ramblings of the severely intoxicated. The latter are a lot less readable than the former. This is my second, minor, work by Jack Kerouac and it makes me wonder whether the Beat generation are overrated. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 3, 2011 |
One for the afficionados - not my favourite Kerouac work I'm afraid...though I did read it a very long time ago, so perhaps I should return to it? ( )
  Polaris- | Jan 24, 2011 |
Doctor Sax: Faust Part Three by Jack Kerouac (1959)
  Francostudies | Feb 5, 2009 |
Dr. Sax (Kerouac, Jack) by Jack Kerouac (1994)
  Francostudies | Feb 5, 2009 |
Nearly unredable. I may try again. Naw, probably not. ( )
  abirdman | Jul 4, 2007 |
The other night I had a dream that I was sitting on the sidewalk on Moody Street, Pawtucketville, Lowell, Mass., with a pensil and paper in my hand saying to myself "Describe the wrinkly tar of this sidewalk, also the iron pickets of Textile Institute, or the doorway where Lousy and you and G.J.'s always sittin and dont stop to think of words when you do stop, just stop to think of the picture better - and let your mind off yourself in this work."

Part of "The Legend of Duluoz"; a surrealistic depiction of boyhood memories and dreams

In this haunting novel of intensely felt adolescence, Jack Kerouac tells the story of Jack Duluoz, a French-Canadian boy growing up, as Kerouac himself did, in the dingy factory town of Lowell, Massachusetts. Dr. Sax, with his flowing cape, slouch hat, and insinuating leer, is chief among the many ghosts and demons that populate Jack's fantasy world. Deftly mingling memory and dream, Kerouac captures the accents and texture of his boyhood in Lowell as he relates Jack's adventures with this cryptic, apocalyptic hipster phantom. "Kerouac dreams of America in the authentic rolling rhythms of a Whitman or a Thomas Wolfe, drunk with eagerness for life." - John K. Hutchens; "Kerouac's peculiar genius infects every page." - The New York Times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:36 -0400)

Jack Duluoz, a French-Canadian boy growing up in the factory town of Lowell, Massachusetts, is haunted throughout his adolescence by Dr. Sax, a cryptic, hipster phantom.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible