Windblowne by Stephen Messer

Windblowne

by Stephen Messer

A very nice read, well written and imaginative, with frequent dashes of humour and a nicely determinded protagonist. I liked the blend of different genres (or maybe disregard for genre limitations), as the book mixes fantasy, a bit of sci-fi and pure adventure. And although things like ecological responsibility, growing up, finding your talents and finding your place in the world are themes of the novel, it doesn't try to beat you around the head with a MESSAGE, for which I am very grateful.

Sometimes Oliver seemed a little slow with catching up on what's happening, but younger readers or newcomers to the main idea behind the book probably won't have the same impression.

I felt the ending was wrapped up a tad too quickly as I wanted to know more about some things that happened (or were revealed to have happened), but it wasn't rushed or unsatisfying - on the contrary, it ended in a satisfying way with plenty of room for imagination and future possibilities for the characters. Nice! The more I think about it, the more I like the book. Recommended!

Edit: Oh, and as a PS for Dianna Wynne Jones fans: no, it's not quite like DWJ's books (someone should have called Chrestomanci!), it's less intricate and quirky and doesn't quite have her twinkly wit and that graceful nonchalance of weaving a story. Maybe not yet! It's really charming in its own way, though. ( )
  tigerbuns | Jan 10, 2014 |
I originally bought this book for the kite fliers in the family. After a couple of months of it sitting forlornly on a pile of unread books, I picked it up. It reminds me a bit of [b:Interworld|47701|Interworld|Neil Gaiman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170348293s/47701.jpg|2661] except for the descriptions of kites and how they're made (which will probably please the kite fliers if they ever get around to reading it) and the lack of super-heroness. ( )
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Very enjoyable. "Let's go fly a kite" takes on new meaning in this fantasy adventure. With the aide of a crimson kite, Oliver travels though a multitude of universes to learn what makes him special. ( )
  anfirind | Dec 14, 2010 |

Hapless Oliver, who lives in the trees in the town of Windblowne, seeks his eccentric great-uncle Gilbert's help in creating a kite for the all-important kite festival, but when Gilbert suddenly disappears, Oliver is guided by one of Gilbert's kites in a quest through different worlds to find him.… (more)

Stephen Messer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible