The Pimp by Iceberg Slim

Title:The Pimp
Authors:Iceberg Slim
Info:Holloway House (1987), Paperback, 320 pages

Pimp: the Story of My Life by Iceberg Slim

English (8)  Catalan (1)  All (9)
Reviewer's Note:

My review of Iceberg Slim's Pimp would also apply to this, the author's autobiographical opus, Pimp: The Story of My Life.

To see the review in mention, search: Pimp.

Cat Ellington ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
My mother, an ardent bookworm in her own right, collected the novels of many, many authors, including those of Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim. That is why my access to such works of non-fiction and fiction had been so unlimited.

It had been my mother who'd advised me—no, insisted—that I read Iceberg Slim's biographical masterpiece, Pimp: The Story of My Life. I did, and have never forgotten it.

Extraordinary. Highly recommended. Worthy of five stars! ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
I'm doubtful that all or any of the material in this book is literally true, but it does present an interesting depiction of life at the vestiges of humanity. ( )
  Audacity88 | Mar 19, 2016 |
I borrowed this from the library at the recommendation of a trusted site. It was fast paced as promised but I found the dated underworld jive very distracting. Portrait of the author as a hardened criminal that reaches an epiphany and leaves his horrifying past behind him. I had to struggle to finish it. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Something of an old fashioned morality story for all of its brutality. I am curious about the Holy Rollers that Iceberg's mother hooks up with. Are they the Pentecostals of Indianapolis (aka Gliggy Bluks)? ( )
1 vote Darrol | Aug 8, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 087067935X, Paperback)

A blueprint. A bible. What Sun Tzu's Art of War was to ancient China, Pimp is to the streets. As real as you can get without jumping in, this is the story of Iceberg Slim's life as he saw, felt, tasted, and smelled it. It is a trip through hell by the one man who lived to tell the tale--the dangers of jail, addiction, and death that are still all too familiar for today's black community. By telling the story of one man's struggles and triumphs in an underground world, Pimp shows us the game doesn't change; it just has a different swagger.

Only Slim could tell this story and make the reader feel it. If you thought Hustle & Flow was the true pimp story, this book is where it all began. This is the heyday of the pimp, the hard-won pride and glory, small though it may be; the beginnings of pimp before it was dragged in front of the camera, before pimp juice and pimp style. Though it is a tale of his times, it will remain current and true for as long as there is a race bias, as long as there is a street life, as long as there is exploitation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

This is the story of Iceberg Slim's life, as he saw, felt, tasted, and smelled it. A trip through hell by the one man who lived to tell the tale. The dangers of jail, addiction and death that are still all too familiar.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1841952389, 1847673325

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,937,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible