Youth | Heart of Darkness | The End of the…

Youth | Heart of Darkness | The End of the Tether (1902)

by Joseph Conrad

This is a collection of three novels written by Joseph Conrad. I enjoyed the third story the most. The End of the Tether has an interesting twist at the end of the story. The Heart of Darkness is interesting but I found it less meaningful. Youth was rather mediocre. ( )
  GlennBell | Aug 6, 2017 |
I bought this book for Heart of Darkness, and as this famous piece is so short (less than 70 pages), the publishers pads it with two other short stories - Youth, and The End of the Tether. Heart of Darkness is a compelling piece of writing. It is famous for portraying the atrocities of the colonial regime in the Congo (the darkness refers equally to the Belgians as to the dark continent)) but the surprise for me was the quality of the writing.
The story is told aloud by a story-teller, as in Lord Jim, which is a clunky way of structuring the writing, but Conrad makes it work. While an expose, it is not a polemic. The awful bits are told, almost as aside. No effort is made to comment. The reader is being told a different story - the Congo seems to be the background. But of course, the Belgian regime is really the core of the book, and the apparent structure just a device. It works so well.
The other stories are good to read, but not up to the standard of Heart of Darkness. Tether is over written, too embellished - the story drowns in words in a way that is a total contrast to Heart of Darkness.
Great stuff. Read May 2014. ( )
  mbmackay | May 25, 2014 |
my recent reading of the poisonwood bible definitely enhanced my reading of this book (for context) because it talks about nearly the same situation - white colonization of the congo, and the ravaging of the land and people by the whites, as well as their lack of understanding of the native people. i had to keep in mind while reading, that it was written in 1899 and it's not fair to judge a writer by today's standards for social justice. i recognize that it might be easier for me to say that as a white person, i can somehow justify the use of the n word in this book. but i also wonder at his purpose for his depiction of the native people, if he was drawing attention to the injustice or perpetuating it. it certainly seems that his intention is to show the destruction of the land and people. i'm just not sure if he does this from a place of true understanding of the congolese or not. he does say "The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much." for me, though, the writing was a bit dense and hard to get through, with awkward sentence structure, but at the same time the language was fantastic. in retrospect i actually wish i'd read this book aloud. it's so short that it's possible to do this, and i think the language comes through better that way.

my favorite 2 quotes, one for content and one for language:

"'I don't like work - no man does - but I like what is in the work, - the chance to find yourself. Your own reality - for yourself, not for others - what no other man can ever know.'"

"'The sun was low; and leaning forward side by side, they seemed to be tugging painfully uphill their two ridiculous shadows of unequal length, that trailed behind them slowly over the tall grass without bending a single blade.'" ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
He comprado este libro porque Conrad es uno de los personajes de la novela de Vargas Llosa El sueño del celta y quería conocer la versión de Conrad, sobre la "aventura" colonial de los belgas en el Congo, tal como que se relata en El corazón de las tinieblas.

Después encuentro esta magnífica reseña sobre esta edición, que incluye también Juventud y En las últimas, de forma que se presenta tal como fue editado por Conrad en 1902. Les aconsejo que la lean:

pepesaura | Apr 26, 2011 |
Well, I hate to do it, but I'm taking the rating down to 4 out of 5 stars. I'm not sure why, but this time around, Joseph Conrad did not manage to induce the same level of fascination as he did the first couple of times I read this book. Maybe because the last time I read it was for a class, where we got to discuss it so much.

It's the story of Marlow, the classic man of the sea, and his trip down the river Congo to find Kurtz, the company man said to have native. But instead of being drawn into the story, this time I felt like Conrad was deliberately keeping the reader at arms' length. Marlow is telling the story, and an unnamed male listener is telling the reader what Marlow says. Then Marlow tells the listener who tells us what Marlow says somebody else says. Still with me?

Maybe the point of all those layers was to make the reader question the story a little more, to ask one's self how much you really know about someone else if all you know is what they say.

Anyway, it was good to read it again, but not as great as I remembered. I'm not sure why, but it must be a change inside me, because I *LOVED* this book back in college. ( )
1 vote cmbohn | Aug 2, 2009 |

Joseph Conradprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zabel, Morton DauwenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This work contains "Youth", "Heart of Darkness", and "The End of the Tether". Please do not combine with works containing a different selection of stories.

Contains:

Heart of Darkness

Youth

The End of the Tether

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 188304975X, Audio Cassette)

Hardbound in a collector's library-style, gold-embossed album are six audio cassettes of unabridged narrations of Conrad masterpieces: Heart of Darkness, the classic tale of adventure that inspired the makers of the film Apocalypse Now; The Secret Sharer, a masterful tale of indentity set against the hazards of being at sea; and The Lagoon, a Malayan story Conrad himself described as "a tricky thing with usual forests-river-stars-wind, sunrise, and so on - and lots of secondhand Conradese in it." Includes extensive liner notes on author and works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:17 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible