Vanished smile: the mysterious theft of Mona…

Vanished smile: the mysterious theft of Mona Lisa (2009)

by R.A. Scotti

Amazing look at what should be a bit of history that we all know about. I listened to this title and the appreciated the beauty of the French names and places more than I would have expected. Great background and interweaving of European political and cultural history in the early 20th century. ( )
  ltfl_stillwaterpl | May 21, 2015 |
Listened to the audio and learned a ton about the most audacious art theft in the 20th century. And, actually learned a lot about the early 20th century historically and culturally. Quite a time of forgeries and posturing among the internationally rich and the powerful. Highly recommended. KH ( )
  splinfo | May 21, 2015 |
After listening to this book, I will need to go back to the Louvre to view Mona Lisa - I didn't see her before, since there was so much else to see. Such an interesting chain of events, with people I would never have thought connected (Picasso), and during a time period that I read other books. Great for a road trip. ( )
  sriemann | Aug 11, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book about the theft and return of the Mona Lisa. I liked learning the history of the painting, how it got to France, and where it ended up during the time it was missing. ( )
  krin5292 | Jan 13, 2014 |
I like the story with the history especially about events that I did not know about (the theft of the Mona Lisa in 1911) would be a 3 1/2 if they had that rating somewhat dry in parts. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
The only thing that's important is the legend created by the picture, and not whether it continues to exist itself. - Pablo Picasso
For my mother and first reader who slipped away from her own museum August 16, 2007
According to the song, it's not supposed to rain when it's April in Paris, but the day was wet and raw.

A perfect crime -- The vanishing act -- The hunt -- The blank wall -- Not the usual suspects -- The mystery woman -- A letter from Leonardo -- The sting -- A perfect story -- The prisoner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307265803, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, April 2009: In 1911, Leonardo's da Vinci's Mona Lisa was stolen off its hooks from the Louvre, remaining missing for over two years. Who took the most famous painting in the world? Was it Pablo Picasso, the upstart Spaniard--and modern counterpoint to the Italian master--in a fit of nationalistic pride, or the avant-garde poet Guillaume Apollinaire as an act of artistic revolution? R.A. Scotti's Vanished Smile: The Mysterious Theft of Mona Lisa investigates this largely forgotten caper, and along the way we're treated to a tour of turn-of-the-century Paris, the birth of modern forensics, and a biography of the enigmatic painting itself. To this day the mysterious theft of the painting the French call La Joconde remains unsolved--only Mona Lisa knows, and she's not talking. --Jon Foro

R.A. Scotti on Vanished Smile
Mona Lisa is the most famous face in the world, yet few among the thousands who flock to the Louvre to see her every day know that she was ever stolen. Who pinched Mona Lisa--and why?

The most surprising facts in the case:

1. 98 years ago, Mona Lisa vanished from the wall of the Louvre Museum.

2. No one noticed for more that 24 hours.

3. Pablo Picasso was a prime suspect in the theft.

4. Her mysterious disappearance made Mona Lisa the most famous wanted woman in the world.

4. Mona Lisa remained missing for more than 2 years and was presumed lost forever.

5. A letter signed “Leonardo” led police to the lost painting.

6. Almost 100 years later, the brazen crime remains unsolved. --R.A. Scotti

(Photo © Doug Steel)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

Part love story, part mystery, "Vanished Smile" reopens the case of the most audacious and perplexing art theft ever committed--the theft of Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" from the Paris Louvre on August 21, 1911.

41 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible