The Soft Machine by William S. Burroughs

The Soft Machine (1961)

by William S. Burroughs

Series: The Nova Trilogy (book 1)

1,1981110,078 (3.39)18

Randomness personified. ( )
  encephalical | Dec 17, 2017 |
Not an easy read, but worth persevering if you can take it! ( )
  NaggedMan | Aug 22, 2016 |
Hard work. ( )
  ColinThompson | Oct 18, 2015 |
Lo leì a los catorce y no entendì un carajo .
Tendrè que leerlo nuevamente .
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I won't lie--I don't always understand Burroughs. However, I don't think understanding is always the point with his work. In fact, in this novel I think the entire point is to break and rebreak the reader's expectation of narrative again and again as an extension of the battle cry of the characters. Narratives lead to control lead to systems of control lead to systematic narrative systems of control. If we have any hope of solving and beating the Mayan Caper, giving up our need for narrative is the only hope. For that thought, and the twisting of the term "heavy metal" to mean something outside of metallurgy alone, this novel is a must read...encounter...experience... ( )
1 vote JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |

William S. Burroughsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was working the hole with the Sailor and we did not bad fifteen cents on average night boosting the afternoons and short timing the dawn we made out from the land of the free but I was running out of veins . . .

In Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs revealed his genius. In The Soft Machine he begins an adventure that will take us even further into the dark recesses of his imagination, a region where nothing is sacred, nothing taboo. Continuing his ferocious verbal assault on hatred, hype, poverty, war, bureaucracy, and addiction in all its forms, Burroughs gives us a surreal space odyssey through the wounded galaxies in a book only he could create.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:56 -0400)

In The Soft Machine, William S. Burroughs begins an adventure that will take us into the dark recesses of his imagination, a region where nothing is sacred, nothing taboo. Continuing his ferocious verbal assault on hatred, hype, poverty, war, bureaucracy, and addiction in all its forms, Burroughs gives us a surreal space odyssey through the wounded galaxies in a book only he could create.A total assault on the powers that turn humans into machines by writing and fixing our life scripts, Burroughs' original "cut-up" book was itself rewritten in three different forms. This new edition of The Soft Machine clarifies for the first time the extraordinary history of its writing and rewriting, demolishes the myths of his chance-based writing methods, and demonstrates for a new generation the significance of Burroughs' greatest experiment.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,648,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible