Both Sides of Time and Out of Time by…

Both Sides of Time and Out of Time (1995)

by Caroline B. Cooney

[b:Out of Time|259997|Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)|Caroline B. Cooney|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173219165s/259997.jpg|874740], the second half of this volume, was a better read for me than [b:Both Sides of Time|260014|Both Sides of Time (Time Travelers, #1)|Caroline B. Cooney|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173219197s/260014.jpg|874730] (book one contained here) so keep turning the pages -Annie gets less repetitive, Sean disappears into the background, and the second book is action packed compared to the first, with a very tidy/Shakespearean conclusion. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 12, 2010 |
Anna Sophia Lockwood, otherwise known as Annie Lockwood, can travel through time. She travels back a whole century, looking for true love in America. Annie found it, but it is forbidden. Hiram Stratton, Junior, otherwise known as Strat, the heir to the Stratton fortune, and Annie, has fallen in love. Will these 2 people from 2 different centuries be allowed to be together?

This book is based in the United States of America. Annie is from the 1990s. Strat is from the 1890s. The buildings and land are used for different purposes in these 2 centuries. In 1890s, there were elm trees, but in the 1990s, the elm trees have all died, and replaced by maple trees. Will they be allowed to collide, while they come from totally different inventions in time?

In my opinion, The Time Travelers is one of the really good books, but not yet the best. I am still searching for the best book. This book reminds me of a book I've read before but I forgot the title. Let's call it, The Other Book. Now, The Other Book was also about time traveling, except it is a guy who does the time traveling. Both Annie and the guy time traveled to find true love.

I would recommend this book to readers 13 to 20, because this is young people romance, and partly sci-fi for the time traveling.

I think this book is mainly about love, because Annie time traveled a whole century back just for true love, and she found it, but ruined another, in both centuries.

Info about the Author
Caroline B. Cooney was born on May 10, 1947, She is also the author of excellent suspense, and romance books. ( )
  armysandy | Nov 10, 2010 |
Though this book was written for teens, I enjoyed it. I tried another book by this author a while back and did not finish it, but this one was much more interesting to me. This was probably due to the fact that I enjoy time travel stories. I would have liked it better if it told a little more about what happened at the end, but otherwise it was a good quick read. ( )
  ladybug74 | Jun 7, 2010 |
I first fell in love with this book in my romantic YA phase of love at first sight, and believing in soul mates. It has all the pieces of those teen romances that are needed to make a girl swoon, squee, and cry. It is at times poignant, at times heartwrenching, and at times incredibly frustrating as the heroine seems a little two dimensional with certain aspects of her talents. Overall the plot is fascinating, but the characters could use a little more rounding out, the nuances of the world could use a bit more explanation and exploration. The mystery that engages the reader at the beginning is quickly pushed to the background of the romance, and the time travel, and so becomes more of a melodramatic spice than an actual piece of the story. Yet, despite it's flaws, it remains one of my favorite reads to revisit again and again. ( )
  innermurk | Mar 12, 2008 |
Annie Lockwood wants to change her life, starting with Sean, her unromantic boyfriend and ending with her dysfunctional parents. Determined to accomplish this she tracks down Sean at the old Stratton mansion and finds herself falling through a century of time. 100 years in the past Annie encounters Strat who is everything she expects of a boyfriend and they fall in love. But, when Annie fails in her apparent duty to discover a murderer and save a falsely accused serving girl Time sends her back home again. Will Annie ever find a way to return to the past and set things right? More importantly, will she ever see her beloved Strat again?

When I first began this book I really wasn't very sure I would finish. All of the characters seemed incredibly selfish, stuck in their own problems and unable to see anything beyond themselves, most especially the heroine, Annie. However, as with many stories, part of the journey is to see if the characters can change. I have noticed with many of the YA novels I've read written in the 1990s there seems to be a certain apartness to the writing, characters and plot, which never really allows you to fully immerse yourself in the story. Perhaps this was the required style for publication, but I'm generalizing and not really sure. Although the characters pretty much remained two-dimensional and never totally fleshed out there was a sufficient amount of maturing, most especially with Strat when he finally woke up and took charge at the end. Overall I enjoyed the story enough to move on to the second book of this series. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jan 28, 2008 |
For Dorie
It was Annie's agenda that summer to convert her boyfriend, Sean, into a romantic man.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440219329, Paperback)

Imagine changing centuries--and making things worse, not better, on both sides of time.

Imagine being involved in two love triangles in two different centuries. What if, no matter which direction you travel in time, you must abandon someone you love?

Meet 15-year-old Annie Lockwood, a romantic living in the wrong century. When she travels back a hundred years and lands in 1895--a time when privileged young ladies wear magnificent gowns, attend elegant parties, and are courted by handsome gentlemen--Annie at last finds romance. But she is a trespasser in time. Will she choose to stay in the past? Will she be allowed to?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:38 -0400)

The summer after senior year, Annie, wishing she could have lived a hundred years ago in a more romantic time, finds herself in the 1890s and it is indeed romantic--and very painful.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible