Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt,…

Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C. (The Royal Diaries) (edition 1999)

by Kristiana Gregory

Member:SRaval
Title:Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C. (The Royal Diaries)
Authors:Kristiana Gregory
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:5th grade books
Rating:****1/2

Cleopatra VII, Daughter of the Nile by Kristiana Gregory

English (15)  French (1)  All languages (16)
My daughter, who is about to embark upon studying Ancient Egypt in her 6th grade social studies class, borrowed this book from the school library for both me and for herself. it's an engaging read, but I'd actually like to go back and cross-check it with Schiffman's biography to see if Cleopatra did indeed travel to Rome with her father to enlist Pompey as his ally. As an adult who has read her biography, I found the encounters and flirtations between the preteen/teenage Cleopatra and the adult Marc Antony more than a bit contrived. However, if it gets my 10-year-old daughter more enthusiastic about her 6th grade history class (and about reading history in general), I'm fine with the bit of storytelling truth-stretching. ( )
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
I thought this was a fun suspense ful book about Cleopatra and her hard childhood up to when she grew up to be married then to her sad death. I learned a lot and had a wonderful time learning about Egypt and Rome. I can't wait to read the next Royal Diaries book. ( )
  SRaval | Nov 10, 2012 |
The book was pretty good. One of my first favorite Royal Diary books. ( )
  Eri89 | Sep 23, 2012 |
I absolutely love the entire Royal Diaries series. They are all incredibly brilliant. MY favorite are Jahanara, Eleanor and Lady of Ch'iao Kuo. They're a great way to learn history. ( )
1 vote benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile is part of the Royal Diaries series that features fictional journals of royal figures throughout history. The reader is immediately captivated by the life of 12 year old Cleopatra - her father, Ptolemy has disappeared fearing for his life, and her sister, Trypthphaena has assumed reign of the kingdom. Ultimately she learns that Trypthaphaena and her supporters are out to kill her and Ptolemy. Cleopatra is also gravely concerned about her father's alcoholism and his ability to rule Egypt, and gradually she realizes that she must rise to meet the challenges of ruling an empire and become Queen of the Nile. The reader can relate to Cleopatra's fears and worries while trying to maintaining an air of confidence at most times. Cleopatra's diaries are rich with detail and the reader can practically feel what it is like to be in the comfort and luxuries of an Egyptian palace, to experience the excesses and slums of Ancient Rome, and to truly relive the culture and lifestyle of the time. The language suggest that although Cleopatra is only an adolescent, she is highly educated and has many resources at her disposal to learn Latin, about other cultures - truly a royal lifestyle. The journals also communicate themes that are relevant to modern times - navigating through a dysfunctional family, coming of age, and development of a self-identity. The author provides resources as an afterword with art and pertinent historical figures that support the details featured in the journals. Great historical fiction book for ages 9-12. ( )
  elainevbernal | Oct 22, 2011 |
The Queen of Sheba so desired in her heart to have knowledge, that she rode by caravan all the way to Jerusalem to meet King Solomon, the wisest man on Earth. Queen Esther of Persia saved her Jewish people from slaughter by bravely standing before King Xerxes. Nefertiti, she, too, was brave. These queens were once as young as I am now, and they didn't have a Library or Mouseion in which to study. I am most fortunate.

3 JANUARIUS, MORNING

I could feel my insides shaking. Would this sister try to poison me? Yes, I believe so. As for my other older sister. Berenice—never! She and I adore each other even though I am eight years younger.

I took the cup and raised it toward Tryphaena as if toasting her, but really I was watching the liquid, looking for oil floating on its surface, or powder sticking to the sides of the cup. If I suspected poison and tossed it into the pool, she would have her guards behead me on the spot. If it was indeed poison, one sip and I could die…

My eyes closed as I took the first sip, as if savoring such an excellent taste, but really my thought was, O Isis, I am afraid…. My stomach turned with nervousness, or was it from a fearsome death beginning in me?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590819755, Hardcover)

The year is 57 B.C., and 12-year-old Cleopatra, Princess of the Nile, has a lot on her mind. Her father, the Pharaoh of Egypt, nearly died when a venomous adder meant for him attacked and killed his favorite servant. Now the Pharaoh has gone into hiding, hunted by his enemies, and the young princess has to keep her head--literally--as her power-hungry older sister Tryphaena threatens to grab her father's throne.

"I took the cup and raised it toward Tryphaena as if toasting her, but really I was watching the liquid, looking for oil floating on its surface, or powder sticking to the sides of the cup. If I suspected poison and tossed it into the pool, she would have her guards behead me on the spot. If it was indeed poison, one sip and I could die..."

In an elegantly written royal diary, Cleopatra VII has recorded every rich detail from this tumultuous time: her hairsbreadth escape by boat to Rome, where she and her father must plead for help; her struggle to absorb the overwhelming sights (and smells) of this new city and its "barbarian" ways; and her poise and quick thinking as she deals with the likes of General Pompey, Marc Antony, and the famous orator Cicero ("words fly from him like darts!").

Kristiana Gregory, a contributor to the excellent Dear America series, has done an admirable job ghostwriting for the princess, painting an engaging portrait of a resourceful, intelligent, compassionate young woman forged by the forces of her time. The book concludes with a helpful section of maps, portraits, a Pharaonic family tree, and 20 pages of illustrations. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:04 -0400)

While her father is in hiding after attempts on his life, twelve-year-old Cleopatra records in her diary how she fears for her own safety and hopes to survive to become Queen of Egypt some day.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible