Doing It by Melvin Burgess

Doing It (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Melvin Burgess

Member:Sporkredfox
Title:Doing It
Authors:Melvin Burgess
Info:Square Fish (2012), Paperback, 352 pages

Doing It by Melvin Burgess (2003)

English (53)  German (1)  All languages (54)
The book opens with a fairly honest conversation about how some teenage males might talk about sex, which might initially be very appealing for teen readers. However, I think the slightly odd style of writing and slightly outdated slang might make the book less appealing for modern teens, , which is why I would give the writing at 2Q and a 2P. The book had a slightly ironic feel to it. How two popular, attractive students are drawn together to "do it." Lust becomes a real and powerful force, which intoxicates the teens in the book and is a very powerful force. That feels real to the teen experience, but I still am not sure if teens would pick this up and want to read it.
  superlibrarian88 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Opinion: A lower rating and popularity makes sense given the subject matter (plus considering the audience and storyline doesn't help.
Review: Honestly, it was ok but I was so stressed with just finishing it I didn't actually pay attention enough to warrant an in depth review.
  kacieg | Apr 21, 2014 |
This book startled me right out of the gate with how unafraid it was to be filthy. It is an uncensored look into the mind of teenagers figuring out sex. (mostly boy's minds, but there are a few girls in there too) They make mistakes, they're stupid, they're sweet, they try to be respectful and sometimes fail, and they do all of this in a realistic way that is sometimes so direct that it's awkward. I found it to be refreshingly honest and enjoyed the read. ( )
  ArynO | Apr 21, 2014 |
Doing It could perhaps be summed up in one word: sex. Two words? Teen sex. A sentence? This book is solely devoted to exploring teen’s sex lives. The characters spend most of the novel preoccupied with sex – how to get it, who to have it with, how to put it off. While sex may be the driving force of this novel, there are also some broader themes, such as dealing with divorce, being emotionally honest with a friend, the conflicting merits of self-respect and popularity. The novel does explore a variety of relationships, several in which there are severe power imbalances between those involved. Some of the teens’ behavior is problematic to the extreme, as coercion and dishonesty for the sake of sex is presented as inevitable and perhaps normal. There are also no LGBTQ relationships represented and no talk of using protection, so you may want to complement this novel with books that offer more information about those topics.

2Q, 4P ( )
  Thea-Ploetz | Apr 21, 2014 |
3Q, 4P (my Voya tags)

Three teenage boys and their sexual shenanigans take center stage in this novel. With a title like "Doing It," it's not hard to determine it's content. I did not find an overwhelming interest in this book but, I did appreciate the narration from a teenage boy's perspective and I think this novel would be an important addition to any YA collection. My teenage self would also have thoroughly enjoyed this novel, especially its more redeeming qualities when the boys familial and personal situations become the stronger story line over their sexual interest and adventures. Certainly, a desirable book for the hormone driven teenager and a gem for young boys. ( )
  candr | Apr 21, 2014 |
"Ok," said Jonathon.
"Shagging Miss had always been scary, but lately there were worries beginning to creep in. It wasn't just the question of where it was all going. It seemed ungrateful, but he was missing girls his own age. He sometimes felt jealous of Dino's problems with Jackie; it all seemed so sweet and innocent and sexy." p. 58

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805080791, Paperback)

Melvin Burgess, author of Smack, has written what is potentially the most controversial young adult novel ever. Doing It is an honest and funny book about three teenage British boys learning about themselves and life through their sexual experiences. But here's the catch: the story is told from the point of view of the hormone-sodden young males, naughty bits and all.

Gorgeous Dino thinks that equally gorgeous Allie should realize that they belong together and is puzzled and frustrated when their passionate lovemaking always ends with her refusing him. Jonathan fancies sensible, sexy Deborah but can't admit it to his friends, even after several steamy grope sessions, because she is…well…plump. And Ben is living every teenage boy's dream, an affair with a lusty teacher--but somehow it's getting to be too much of a good thing.

Nearly all YA novels about love and sexuality are told by and for girls, like Judy Blume's groundbreaking classic, Forever. The contrast here is striking--as Burgess said in an interview, "I wrote Doing It because I do believe that we have let young men down very badly in terms of the kinds of books written for them. This book is my go at trying to bring young male sexual culture into writing." The result is surprising but educational for female readers. Wisely, the publisher has kept the British slang terms for sexual acts and body parts, rather than using the American four-letter words, a factor that will make the book less of a hot potato for librarians and teachers, but not diminish the reading pleasure for the inevitable hordes of young male readers. (Ages 14 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

"...an honest and funny book about three teenage British boys learning about themselves and life through their sexual experiences. But here's the catch: the story is told from the point of view of the hormone-sodden young males, naughty bits and all"--Amazon.com.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible