When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me

by Rebecca Stead

English (394)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (397)
This book is a short chapter book that keeps the reading wondering what will happen next and where the story is going. The story's main character, Miranda, is a very relate able 6th grade girl who faces many problems, including friendships and discovering who she really is.
  michelleripley | Feb 4, 2016 |
A girl named Miranda receives strange, crumpled up notes that seem to make no sense. The prophecies foretold by the mysterious sender end up coming true, but she doesn't know what they want from her. Meanwhile, her best friend stops talking to her and she makes friends with the snobby rich girl in class. In the end, everything comes together just as planned and Miranda learns to truly appreciate the people who love her. A great read for children 11 and up, especially for those who love a sci-fi twist, with the drama of a typical pre-teen novel. ( )
  murandapatanda | Feb 3, 2016 |
As a colleague aptly described, reading this book is like watching an episode of "Mad Men": Things happen or are said that seem inconsequential at the time but later are an integral part of the whole. This is the kind of book that will send you on a mind-bending head trip but you'll want to go back and re-read once you know how it all plays out. A fine example of how children's/YA literature is often more satisfying than a lot of contemporary adult fiction.

3/31/10 Listened to the audio version narrated by Cynthia Holloway. This can be even more mind-boggling than the print version since you can't easily flip back in the story. I also expected more of a dark tone because that's how I read the book but Ms Holloway puts more of a light, young spin on it. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
When You Reach Me is a story set in 1979 about a 6th grader, Miranda, who lives in New York with her mother. Miranda starts to receive mysterious notes that lead her to believe that the author has some knowledge of the future. While it is somewhat unsettling for her, especially when the author tells her she shouldn't share them with anyone, she goes along with it, and she begins to share with us, and the mystery person, her entire story. After tragedy, she starts to put the pieces together, and comes to a shocking conclusion. I thought that the book was well written, and I had a hard time putting it down. I found that Stead's telling of the story drew me in, and I felt as if I was part of it. She has a way of telling a detailed storyline in a very casual way, without one feeling as if they are being force fed a dense bowl of details. I thought that the character development was very good, in the fact that the reader got to know them, and was able to watch the different friendships grow and fade over the course of the book.
I also found Stead to be very careful about the clues that she gave for the ending. While she mentioned all these not so ordinary actions that were taking place, hinting at who the "time traveler" may be, and who he might be there to save, I did not see it coming at all. This was a great book from start to finish. ( )
  childrenslitpdx | Jan 29, 2016 |
As the story begins, Miranda’s mother is preparing to be a contestant on the game show, $20,000 Pyramid. As they practice for the speed round and the Winner’s Circle, they add items to the wish list that hangs on their fridge. While they try not to get their hopes up, it’s too late for that. This is just a part of the story though…

Miranda and Sal have been best friends for years, but everything changes the day Sal gets punched by Marcus. Sal begins to shut Miranda out, and she finds herself spending time with Annemarie & Colin. Then things turn strange. Various items start to disappear, like a key, a shoe and a bank. Not only do things go missing, but anonymous notes start to appear:

“I am coming to save your friend’s life, and my own.
I ask two favors. First you must write me a letter…
The trip is a difficult one. I will not be myself when I reach you.”

What does this mean? The notes keep appearing and Miranda soon realizes that whomever is writing them knows things that no one could know. How could the note-writer possibly know what happens in the future?

Not only is this story a mystery, but it is also a story about relationships and friendships. Take time to read this one. You won’t regret it!
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,994,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible