When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me

by Rebecca Stead

English (367)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (370)
Read a review of the audiobook version of this 2010 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2012/10/2010-newbery-medalist.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, the storyline was suspenseful. For example, there were hidden notes Miranda found that were unclear, like how Miranda had to write a letter to this mysterious person and know where to find him. Having a suspenseful storyline keeps me intrigued and wanting more. Second, I liked the idea of the book was based on time travel. It makes you think outside of the box. Time travel is a difficult concept to grasp and Rebecca Stead did a great job explaining it on a basic level. Having a book that is on a heavy concept, like time travel, can spark rich conversation with anyone reading the book or anyone interested in that idea. Lastly, I liked how the chapters were short. It kept the story moving and there wasn’t a lot of fluff, or a storyline that didn’t matter. Everything that happened in that book was for a reason and it is all connected. The message of the story is to think outside box and don’t let your common sense limit your imagination. ( )
  moaks1 | May 9, 2015 |
I liked the book “When You Reach Me” by Rebecca Stead for many reasons. First, the book was very engaging from the beginning to the end. From the time Miranda received the first note, “the trip is a difficult one. I will not be myself when I reach you”, I was thoroughly engaged. Throughout the entire book, I wondered what this line might mean. Second, the book depicted the interesting life that Miranda lived. She was very independent, wandering the streets, and getting a job at such a young age. I thought that her character was very intriguing, especially the way in which she conceptualized many things. For example, on page 132, Miranda is trying to convince herself that it doesn’t matter that Sal didn’t want to walk home from school with her and she goes into this long, interesting comparison of this tiny incident to the world being created (“I pictured the world millions of years ago, with clouds of gas everywhere, and volcanoes, and the continents bumping into each other and then drifting apart”. Third, I liked this book because the entire concept was very interesting. The author succeeded in the difficult task of blending themes of friendship, independence, time-travel, and mystery. Although there were a lot of different themes, the book was still relatively easy to follow. ( )
  marmig2 | May 4, 2015 |
This book really gave me mixed signals. At some points I loved it and at others I wanted to stop reading it. The main idea of the book is to show children how they can be independent and follow their own path in life. One thing I did not like was the beginning. It seemed to jump all over the place and was very confusing. One minuet she was in the present talking about her mom and the next I had to put the pieces together to realize she was in the past. One thing I did like was the character. Miranda was a girl that I connected with instantly which held my attention. She was very helpful with her mom and a very intelligent girl. I also liked how the book flowed as a mystery. Going through the book was like going through a treasure map trying to find the answer. It really held my attention and once I was able to understand the format of the book I couldn't put it down. ( )
  bmalon6 | May 3, 2015 |
This book is written in first person. The first-person narration gives us access to Miranda's observations and thought processes, both of which are crucial in this novel. This story offers so many mysteries, puzzles, and riddles, that Miranda's consciousness is the lifeline that pulls us through. Miranda is not a genius she is an average sixth grade girl. She explains all of her thoughts very carefully, and it often takes her quite some time to put two and two together. Because we see her inner life, Miranda also becomes very real to us. She tells us about her hopes, her fears, and her desires. For example, she describes her fascination with smells , or her struggles to get over fights with her friends. ( )
  Sluper1 | May 3, 2015 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,312,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible