When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me

by Rebecca Stead

English (434)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All (437)
A story set in the 70's about a girl in middle school who is navigating the difficulties of friendship, as well as the tough and scary environment in New York City. All the while, there is a mystery that continues to be uncovered.
  pcanoy | Apr 16, 2017 |
As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1970's television game show " the 20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York city girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of space and time. this book is all about time travel and plays off of a book that the girl carries which is "A wrinkle in time." Since this does have an advanced vocabulary and long chapters I would say this would be best used fro grades 5-8. This book is a science fiction novel. ( )
  hdalesky15 | Apr 10, 2017 |
This is another story about time travel. I think it uses some of the ideas from "A Wrinkle in Time." It is also a novel about kids growing up and how "appearances can be deceiving."
  edwardcandler | Apr 8, 2017 |
I like this book for 2 reasons. The first reason I like this book is because the plot is very engaging. As I was reading, the author kept me wanting to read more and more to find out what happens next in the story. I was constantly asking questions in the book, which motivated me to read more to answer the questions I had. The second reason I like this book is because it pushes readers to think about complexity of time and time travel. Time is something that most people don't think very deeply about. Since this book involves time traveling, it forced me to think about how time works. The only reason I did not like this book is the writing. I found that the author's writing is not very clear. I missed a lot of key details when I read the book the first time. This made determining the main idea of the book very challenging. I determined that there are multiple main ideas of the book. The concept of time is probably the most important main idea to take away from the book. Without the understanding that Marcus traveled back in time to save Sal's life, a reader would not understand the book. ( )
  hhilse1 | Apr 3, 2017 |
I very much enjoyed this book from a reading for pleasure stand point, but academically, I can not seem to find a theme. The theme could be about trusting other people, or about communication because a lot of the problems in the book seem to be caused by a lack of proper communication. The book's plot was exciting and very engaging. I read the whole book in about three hours straight. I did not want to put it down. Some parts of the book were a little confusing, where a lot of the details got jumbled. I found myself flipping back and forth between pages trying to keep everything straight. The end of the book was not expected at all! I actually verbally said "What" when I got to that part and my room mate looked at me funny. Over all, this book was very engaging and exciting and very worth the read! ( )
  rlyon2 | Mar 11, 2017 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible