When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead, Cynthia Holloway (Reader)

Member:courtneyspako
Title:When You Reach Me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Other authors:Cynthia Holloway (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (430)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All (433)
I very much enjoyed this book from a reading for pleasure stand point, but academically, I can not seem to find a theme. The theme could be about trusting other people, or about communication because a lot of the problems in the book seem to be caused by a lack of proper communication. The book's plot was exciting and very engaging. I read the whole book in about three hours straight. I did not want to put it down. Some parts of the book were a little confusing, where a lot of the details got jumbled. I found myself flipping back and forth between pages trying to keep everything straight. The end of the book was not expected at all! I actually verbally said "What" when I got to that part and my room mate looked at me funny. Over all, this book was very engaging and exciting and very worth the read! ( )
  rlyon2 | Mar 11, 2017 |
The book creates a curiosity and the drive to finish the book from the first page to the last. The book is about Miranda and mysterious notes that seem to be telling her about the future. As she is trying to discover the person behind the notes, she navigates her city and life in a 12-year-old psyche. The narrator's voice was a very important part of the book because it allowed me to know her perspective of all the mystery from the beginning. In the first person point of view, I can sense the 12-year-old's emotions especially when she makes a numbered list of the events that led up to Sal's almost death. The font itself expressed the urgency and desperation of Miranda's thoughts. "SAL IS GOING TO DIE." Her emotions become so drastic and unfamiliar from the previous font type that it made me feel anxious. Not only Miranda's perspective helped me to continue on and finish reading but the titles were also very enjoyable to read because it was in the format of the $20,000 Pyramid TV show game topics. The author did a good job of incorporating the details in the novel with the overall organization of the book which made readers feel as if they were a contestant on the actual show. Furthermore, the structure of the book includes time hops in the story. For example, Miranda would share that she had already received the notes and is putting them under her bed then the book would later reveal when the notes came to her. The foreshadowing of some of the details that are revealed as the story progresses is very similar to a time machine. The author made the book like it was a time machine in itself which was intriguing and an awesome way of engaging readers since it relates the actual book to a main topic of time traveling. The main character's point of view, the details such as the chapter titles, and overall structure of the book help readers to mentally engage themselves and allow for the readers to be a part of the book, "When You Reach Me". ( )
  sryoo1 | Mar 9, 2017 |
This book was incredible. I enjoyed its simplistic nature and minimalistic approach. Although Rebecca Stead does not provide the reader with much detail throughout Miranda’s journey, I still managed to create Miranda’s life in my head and watch her day-to-day actions play out in my mind.
My favorite part of Miranda’s world is the characters in it. Stead created such curious, imaginative, intelligent twelve year olds who never stopped questioning the world around them. Miranda’s conversation with her neighborhood friends about the concept of time travel was chilling and thought-provoking. Stead forces the reader, no matter their age, to enter this world of possibilities and to think outside the box. This book asked me to leave my commonsense at the front cover and to think a little deeper than my rational mind would allow me.
Being an avid fan of fantasy and science-fiction, I ate up every single word of this book. I loved how Stead approached the idea of time travel by having Miranda receive mysterious letters from a stranger because it created an eerie tone that never seemed to go away. The book begins as mystery and ends a mystery.
This book asks the reader to question the significance of minor details—whether they be in Miranda’s world or our own. These details lead to a bigger, much more complicated picture that only seem to make sense at the very end. Overall, this book was mind-blowing and definitely a page turner. The underlying theme of the importance of friendship is a great way to let older elementary school children and middle school students understand how difficult it can be to preserve old friendships and ways in which you can reconnect with distant friends. ( )
  dluna1 | Mar 7, 2017 |
Read for assignment
  Amanda001 | Feb 26, 2017 |
This book was a good surprise. I had read a description of it, and it turns out that the description didn't do it justice. Miranda, the novel's protagonist, is a believable and realistic character. That makes for a nice foil against the subtle fantasy/science fiction aspects of the novel. We see Miranda navigate the streets of her NYC neighborhood, her friendships at school, and her relationship with her mom and her mom's boyfriend. There is a mystery going on. Miranda's extra key disappears. She begins receiving notes. Her best friend Sal won't talk to her. Ultimately, all of the events are resolved in the end in a satisfactory and imaginative ending.

Readers who enjoy fantasy/science fiction would enjoy this book. This book could fit well in a unit about growing up and being in middle school. This book would appeal to fans of the mystery genre as well. ( )
  mcintorino | Feb 15, 2017 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,321,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible