When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead, Cynthia Holloway (Reader)

Member:courtneyspako
Title:When You Reach Me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Other authors:Cynthia Holloway (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (409)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (412)
Miranda and Sal, Sal and Mirinda. Every thing stated to get complex when sal got punched for apsolutly no reason whatsoever. Sal starts ignoring mirinda, and every thing goes wrong. Mirinda's mom can't find their apartment key, the guy on the street starts to talk to Miranda, and wost of all she starts getting notes like this:
I am coming to save your friend's life, and my own. I must ask two favors. First you must write me a letter.
I like this book because it has a lot about time travel, something I am not yet familiar with. I recommend this book to all who like puzzles. ( )
  SophiaK31 | May 23, 2016 |
Summary: Miranda is used to navigating her New York neighborhood with the help of her best friend Sal. When Sal is jumped in the street, he begins to pull away from Miranda. Miranda receives a mysterious note and she believes she must save someone from death, although she isn't sure who. Miranda begins to learn more and more about herself and those around her as her she begins to realize what it takes to grow up.

Personal Reflection: Was an enjoyable book that was very well written. I thought it was age appropriate. It deserved to receive the honor of the Newberry Medal.

Classroom Extension:
1. Have each student write a letter to send to someone in the "future" to warn of something to come.

2. Have the students brainstorn to describe how the New York neighborhood and settings are different from their own.
  kerifreeman | Apr 19, 2016 |
I like and dislike this book. I like this because it is easy to relate to. The main character goes through things that a lot of people her age go trough. For example, losing friends. being able to relate to a story is what keeps you engaged and connected to what you are reading. I did not like this book because of how there were two timelines mixed together. It was very confusing and hard to follow. I did not like reading this at my age and I cannot image if I had to read this when I was younger. I think the main idea of this story is to cherish friendship. ( )
  cawalt2 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading. I liked the book because the character was very much believable. For example, her friend Sam stopped talking to her, so she lost that friendship. Everyone can relate to having the feeling of loosing a friend. I didn't like how the plot was written. The plot did not have a sequence of events and it felt like the author was changing ideas each page. I also didn't like the language in the book. I think that the author was too descriptive with some events and not descriptive enough for others. The big message is to follow your dreams and to just be yourself. ( )
  wclayw1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I really am unsure how I feel about this book after finishing it. The author mixed two timelines throughout the story which was, at times, hard to follow. Going back and forth for an immature reader may be difficult. If a teacher really wants to challenge their students intellect, have them read this. I loved the mystery element how this story, however. The reader never knew what was going to happen next. It keeps the reader engaged and wanting to read the book. Lastly, I enjoyed how relatable the book was. Teenage years are a struggle and the author really portrayed that through Miranda's life.. All in all, I like the idea of the book, but believe it is too hard to follow for the recommended audience. ( )
  lhutch3 | Apr 18, 2016 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,924,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible