When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead, Cynthia Holloway (Reader)

Member:courtneyspako
Title:When You Reach Me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Other authors:Cynthia Holloway (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (424)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All (427)
I wanted to find out how her mom did but oh well. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
I thought this book was well written and interesting. I had no idea I was reading a science fiction novel until half way through. The story appeared to be realistic with a simple twist. It helps to have read "A Wrinkle In Time" beforehand since it is the main character's favorite book and she talks about it often. Miranda seemed to be a normal tween growing up on New York City in the 1970's helping her mom prepare for her competition on the $20,000 Pyramid, until some strange things started happening. Throughout the story you had to put the pieces of the puzzle together, and while I am not a big fan of science fiction, or have much experience with it, I could put the pieces together myself. ( )
  Chafkins | Nov 16, 2016 |
A young girl in NYC in the late 70's discovers friendship, family and an undercurrent of mystery and time travel. Well done ( )
  pennykaplan | Nov 15, 2016 |
I liked this book a lot! The reader is easily enthralled by its suspenseful plot. The dynamic story follows a young girl in New York as she discovers more about friendship, identity, and the world around her. However, it is not simply a coming-of-age novel. Early on in the book, the readers are introduced to elements of mystery, though it initially gives the impression of a realistic fiction story. The reader slowly finds out that the story plays into fantasy and science fiction. Many connections have to be made throughout the story, both by the characters and the readers. The language flows well and is appropriate to the time period it’s set in, the late 70’s. The point of view was well-chosen for the use of the plot. Since the reader views the world from Miranda’s eyes, not many conclusions can be made or outside knowledge drawn in as the story proceeds. The novel is very though-provoking in its unusual sequence of events. Through the captivating plot and expressive characters, When You Reach Me is an exquisite read for readers of all ages. The big idea is that the world is not always as it seems, but we often need others in our life to help us figure out the truths. ( )
  drobin24 | Nov 14, 2016 |
I found this book to be really enjoyable. I would recommend it for mid- elementary school students through middle. I really liked the writing in this book. The story had a feel of fantasy and with some suspense. Miranda is trying to find out who is leaving her these notes. I like how Miranda's character ends up being very mature. The main idea of the book is that your friends and family can help in os many ways and that without them some of us would not be who we are.
  gcarat1 | Nov 14, 2016 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible