When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead, Cynthia Holloway (Reader)

Member:courtneyspako
Title:When You Reach Me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Other authors:Cynthia Holloway (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (343)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (346)
Very fast read, but engrossing. Twelve year old Miranda and her best friend Sal live in a run down apartment building. Their mothers are friends. Miranda's mother is dating Richard and they both work in a law office.
One day, a strange boy walks up to Sal and punches him in the stomach and face then walks away. Everything changes from then on.
The confusion Miranda faces as she deals with Sal's pulling away from her, her new friendships with Marcus and AnneMarie, her rivalry with Julia - all of these things cause her to analyze and think about the changes in her life.
But what most puzzles her are the notes she finds in random places. The notes seem to address her directly and she cannot figure them out. They scare her and intrigue her.
Fascinating unravelling of the mystery.. ( )
  aimless22 | Jul 1, 2014 |
To be honest, I didn't get my hopes up before I actually read this book. But as I breezed through it, I was actually starting to like it. Especially when time travel was on the table, Rebecca Stead, you caught me! I've always been fascinated by the idea of time travel and Rebecca mixed it with innocence and curiosity of a 12-year old which made it so easy, fun and adorable to read. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
The opening parts of this book made me nostalgic for growing up in Manhattan. The world of the 12-year-old narrator reminded me a lot of mine, except I wasn't a 12-year-old girl. And one of my friends didn't travel back in time to save another one of my friends from being hit by a truck. Overall, highly enjoyable and recommended, if slightly odd and imperfect in the way the entire story fit together. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
I read this to Zack (age 11) and for such a short book, it certainly packed in the mysteries and questions. I would liken it to a YA version of "The Time Traveler's Wife". Neither Zack nor I were certain we LOVED the book, but gave it four stars for keeping us guessing, some creative interchanges, and for touching on social issues that affect families and kids alike -- how to deal with friendship envy, how to deal with having friends in different socio-economic brackets, how to define friendship, and general moral courage. We had some good conversations about the book, which contributed to its four star rating.

An odd book, but a fast read, and worth a try. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
A children's science fiction novel that links itself to A Wrinkle in Time. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible