When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead, Cynthia Holloway (Reader)

Member:courtneyspako
Title:When You Reach Me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Other authors:Cynthia Holloway (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (436)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All (439)
"As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space." - from Titlewave
  Janelle537 | Jul 13, 2017 |
Loved it! ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I like that it brings in a lot of different characters who are completely different from one another. I think that is really rare when so many characters share the pages. I also really like that the novel deals with some very real issues like single-parent families, homelessness, racism, etc. I would have loved this book more if it weren't for the ending. The ending is a little bit too out there for me. I like that someone is writing the main character all of these notes and her narration throughout is a response but discovering who it is really killed it for me. I think the story would have been better without that bizarre twist. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
No one warned me about the time travel, and I'm glad I went in blind. At first it starts off very slow, in tone almost Perks of Being A Wallflower, without the pain. I decide, okay, that's fine if nothing is happening, if this turns out to be all about some subtle coming-of-age sketch, because at least Miranda is not an annoying narrator. Then the clues start to come in, and it really makes no sense at all until after Miranda puts it together, and I felt dumb for not figuring it our earlier. A "happy ending" at least, despite a death. If you've seen the movie Predestination then this is like the middle school starter pack. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
A story set in the 70's about a girl in middle school who is navigating the difficulties of friendship, as well as the tough and scary environment in New York City. All the while, there is a mystery that continues to be uncovered.
  pcanoy | Apr 16, 2017 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible