When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me (edition 2009)

by Rebecca Stead, Cynthia Holloway (Reader)

Member:shookrl
Title:When You Reach Me
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Other authors:Cynthia Holloway (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****
Tags:science fiction, time travel, Newbery Medal, children's fiction, fiction, wrinkle in time, mystery, novel, chapter book, historical fiction, 1970's, single parent families, 2 parent families, game shows, latchkey, emotional, surprise ending, early ya, middle school

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

English (371)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (374)

I love a good last line.

At first, I wasn't enamored with this novel because it seemed way too obvious who the real hero of the story was. Then I wasn't so sure. Then I was sure again, but it didn't matter because by that point I was far enough into the story to enjoy the character and story development.

Stead owes a great debt to Madeleine L'Engle, and I can see that she's wanted to write, in essence, a tribute to L'Engle since she could remember reading "A Wrinkle in Time" as a young girl. I want to think that this was the only YA or children's sci-fi novel of my generation's time, but that can't be right, right? There have to be others. The only other one I can think of is "The House With a Clock in its Walls," but that's not sci-fi, that's gothic horror aimed at kids (what? yea, but it's fabulous). I think of all the riches kids have today and I'm so jealous.

I digress a bit. I ended up liking this hugely because Stead wraps things up in a nice neat bow - absolutely essential for this kind of story - but leaves you wondering about one little thing. Until the last line. ( )
  khage | Jun 30, 2015 |
So well written!!! ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
This young adult novel is grounded in a realistic setting of New York's Upper West Side in the 1970s with the protagonist Miranda dealing with going to school, a falling-out with a friend, and her mother appearing on a tv game show. Added to this are mystery and science fiction elements such as Miranda receiving unexplained notes that predict the future and a seemingly homeless "laughing man" having a constant presence on the street near her school. It's a good blend of storytelling techniques that deals with children gaining independence, friendship, and second chances. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 24, 2015 |
Summary:
Genre: Realistic Fantasy
Awards: Yearling Newbery
Age Group: 8-12
Themes:
My impressions:
Lesson Plan: ( )
  a.coote | Jun 5, 2015 |
Read a review of the audiobook version of this 2010 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2012/10/2010-newbery-medalist.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
This book has a very nice climax when given. Exciting and has much significance to it. Symbolic and wonderful.
added by GraceDaniels | editNew York Times, Grace Daniels (Feb 14, 2014)

...a story in which characters really come alive during those few months we spend with them, when their lives are shaped for ever.

In this taut novel, every word, every sentence, has meaning and substance. A hybrid of genres, it is a complex mystery, a work of historical fiction, a school story and one of friendship, with a leitmotif of time travel running through it. Most of all the novel is a thrilling puzzle. Stead piles up clues on the way to a moment of intense drama, after which it is pretty much impossible to stop reading until the last page.

Eventually and improbably, these strands converge to form a thought-provoking whole. Stead ('First Light') accomplishes this by making every detail count, including Mirandas name, her hobby of knot tying and her favorite book, Madeleine LEngles 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Its easy to imagine readers studying Mirandas story as many times as shes read LEngles, and spending hours pondering the provocative questions it raises.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 22, 2009)

Stead's novel is as much about character as story. Miranda's voice rings true with its faltering attempts at maturity and observation. The story builds slowly, emerging naturally from a sturdy premise. As Miranda reminisces, the time sequencing is somewhat challenging, but in an intriguing way. The setting is consistently strong. The stores and even the streets–in Miranda's neighborhood act as physical entities and impact the plot in tangible ways. This unusual, thought-provoking mystery will appeal to several types of readers.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlan Augusta

Rebecca Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackall, SophieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.

-- Albert Einstein

The World As I See It (1931)
To Sean, Jack, and Eli,

champions of inappropriate laughter, fierce love,

and extremely deep questions
So Mom got a postcard today.
"It's the jumping, from one diamond to the next, that we call time, but like I said, time doesn't really exist. Like that girl just said, a diamond is a moment, and all the diamonds on the ring are happening at the same time. It's like having a drawer full of pictures."

This remarkable novel holds a fantastic puzzle at its heart.
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, and they know who to avoid. Like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a kid on the street for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda's mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then a mysterious note arrives, scrawled on a tiny slip of paper. The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows things no one should know. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she's too late.

As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible